New PC for recording audio! Opinions/suggestions?

Quarius

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
So I've been thinking of following:

Motherboard:
ASUS P5KC Intel P35 - 120.90€ (heatpipe cooling = silence...)

Case:
Antec Sonata III 500W - 132.90€ (...I hear this is very silent also...)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - 273.90€

CPU cooler:
Zalman CNPS9700 NT - 61.90€ (...and this...)

RAM:
Corsair Twin2X 2x1GB DDR2 800Mhz - 80.90€

HD's:
Western Digital WD AV 80GB SATA II - 43.90€ (for OS and programs)
Western Digital WD AV 250GB SATA II - 62.90€ (for projects and audio)

Graphics card:
Asus EN8500GT SILENT/HTD/512M - 103.90€ (...heatpipe cooling - silent again)

CD/DVD drive:
LG 16x IDE DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (GSA-4163B) - 0€ (from previous PC)

872.2€ = 1,232.90$

So as you propably noticed :D one important thing is how quiet the PC is (I'll be recording in the same room with the PC). I live in Finland so the prices are in euros and might also be a bit more expensive than in the US but I managed to stay below 900€ and that's good enough! :)
I'm also hoping that in the future I'd be able to upgrade my OS to 64 bit with these parts. But not yet as Cubase 4 doesn't yet work with 64 bit OS. Does this seem possible?

So tell me what you guys think!

mcfly29

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I'm from finland too and those prices you quoted were pretty steap. I don't know if you put them there for reference or you are really willing to pay these high prices!!! My advice, use this: http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/
If you live in the helsinki area and with a few clicks of your mouse you should be able to trim 100-200€ off those prices.
good luck.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I have little experience using audio programs, but I wonder why quad core for just recording audio? Do you also do mixing? Do your audio programs take advantage of multiple cores - or do you run a lot of programs at one time? Would a faster dual core be better?
Why no audio card? What speakers do you plan to use?
I have little to offer - just curious.

Quarius

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007

But I'm afraid that I don't live in the Helsinki area. I'll be checking the prices out from the "hintaseuranta" but I'm aiming at not to order from lets say more than three different places. Posting the items from many different places will propably cost even more. But thanks anyways.. :)

Well my audiocard is a different story. I'll be getting a firewire mixer (propably mackie onyx, love those preamps..) - I just didn't think it as a part of my PC so I didn't put it there :) And I do have a creative X-fi from my previous PC - just forgot to mention that too..
And yes, I do mixing and do need a lot of processing power. At the moment dualcore would be better for me but I think that in time programs will start taking full advantage of quadcore and then they are better. So that's why I'd go with the quad.. And the Q6600 is at least better than E6600..
I'll be mainly mixing with headphones but I do have decent speakers (well they are not especially ment for studio) just to check that everything sounds fine trough speakers also..

Thanks for your replies! :D

Quarius

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Okay.. I just started checking the prices from http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/ and it seems like I'll be ordering from multiple different locations! :D Why hadn't I done this before!? Way cheaper.. Thanks mcfly29!