No raid but separating programs on 2 HD?

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I was wondering if anyone has done this (could be a noob question):

As I understand it raid 0 will be reading/writing faster but can only access 1 thing at a time.
The OS on one drive (I mean really a separate drive, not a partition) and other often used programs and games on another? Would this allow the pc to access 2 things at once without the HD heads moving around the whole time?
I was thinking that for example during boot the OS needs to be accessed but also things like virusscanners etc.
So if they are on seperate drives both heads can read/write at the same time or does that not work?
This seems a bit like raid without the data corruption risk.
What would you separate? I was thinking OS and Data on one disk and games and programs on the other?
Or would a raid 0 work better? Unlike raid 1 etc 2 x 300Gb still is 600gb in raid 0 right?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
For a home desktop computer with normal useage... games, email, internet, music, movies and such. RAID 0 offers NO, i repeat NO performance gain. However, if you edit those movies, and are moving around big files or use your computer as a SQL database server or something, you'll see massive gains from a RAID configuration.