Sign in with
Your question

Latency, wireless, and gaming

Last response: in Networking
July 7, 2008 7:05:00 AM

Hey guys,

Before I get started, just wanted to say that I'm currently using a D-link DI-524 router, with a DWL- G510 PCI card adapter in my computer, which we'll call my Upstairs computer.

The direct ethernet line is to my Downstairs computer.

Now, I get a lot of latency in games. I usually play World of Warcraft, and I mainly arena, where timing is extremely crucial. Even in raids, if I'm tanking, and I get lag, it ruins it for everyone.

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, play on EST servers. I get between 200-400 ms on average. Sometimes, I lag for 2-10s and I jump to 2000 or more latency. Many times (at least twice a day now) I get 10s delays and I just disconnect. It's getting very bad.

I'm looking for a replacement to my setup. I currently have 3 things in mind:

1) Get a new router. Looking at D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming router. Somewhat expensive, looks pretty good from reviews (not perfect). However, the Linksys WRT54 looks to be the best seller on Newegg and much, much cheaper. Which of these would cause the lowest latency (less lag) in games? That's mainly all I'm concerned about. Don't care about security/storage, I'm set for all that. If there's a better router anyone can recommend, I'll gladly consider those as well.

I am concerned that maybe it is wireless in general causing problems with lag. I know wireless is less efficient and will generally cause lag, but I mean 200-400 ms? And I'm playing on the EST servers too, not a server on the opposite coast. Does wireless cause this much lag and the 10s delays?

2) Use a powerline adapter. I'm looking at Linksys PLK 200 Powerline adapters and the D-Link DHP-301 adapters. Are powerline adapters good? Would they cut my latency/lag a lot and the delays, seeing how this is very similar to hard wiring? Are there better powerline adapters? Or should I just avoid these all together?

3) Do nothing. Are my router/network card fine? Is it just regular wireless latency causing this? I can pretty much tell you that I will not be able to rewire my house to get a line running to my Upstairs computer. It seems way too hard, and it may cost a lot to hire someone to do it. Try avoid advising this unless you can think of a much easier way :p 

All I want is a stable connection, but mainly, reduced lag. I'll try any solution. I have noticed that my Dell Vostro 1500 does not disconnect much, if at all from my network. In fact, I can't remember the last time it even disconnected.

Thanks a lot guys, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Also, please don't make this one of those 100 views no reply threads :p  If you can't help me or give any advice, then at least point me to the right forum/different site to ask on? I would greatly appreciate it.

PS: There are walls and **** between my Upstairs and Downstairs computers. The Upstairs is on 1 side of the house, while the Downstairs is on the other side.
July 7, 2008 7:22:31 PM

What is your PC specs?

Wireless is faster than your ISP connection so that's not much of an issue. BUT if your wireless cuts out for a second due to interference, that could be the issue.

First I would switch your wireless to channel 1 or 11 - 6 is default meaning it will most likely have the most interference as well.

Powerline adapters have had good results from what I've read but there are also downfalls to them. When in doubt, I always just wire it. Run a cable under the carpet or outside like a cable line and be done with it. :) 
July 7, 2008 7:23:39 PM

PS:

Avoid N spec routers because it has yet to finalized and could change at any time. This is very similar to the SpeedBooster by Linksys and others that use the G title but it isn't officially recognized.
!