Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to move Dell hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2008 2:39:07 AM

I'm in the brainstorming part of building my PC (I know all my specific parts) and there's one last thing in my way. I need to know if I need to buy XP or can I move my hard drive with my Dell (with XP on it) over to my future PC? (New mobo, CPU, graphics card, etc. etc.)

More about : move dell hard drive

a b G Storage
April 30, 2008 3:16:45 AM

IIRC you won't be able to transfer your XP to the new system. I don't know if it'll let you do it or not, but I think you won't be able to. I haven't tried that before, so I don't know for sure.
a b G Storage
April 30, 2008 3:17:12 AM

IIRC you won't be able to transfer your XP to the new system. I don't know if it'll let you do it or not, but I think you won't be able to. I haven't tried that before, so I don't know for sure.
Related resources
April 30, 2008 11:25:25 AM

What I'm thinking, though, is I'll be able to uninstall XP with the Dell disk then reinstall it with all my new parts in. I have the serial codes for XP. If I can't I can just grab XP for 5 dollars on campus.
May 2, 2008 2:04:47 AM

Bump
May 2, 2008 2:01:17 PM

Three things:

1. The OEM recovery CD from most manufacturers will not allow the recovery to proceed if it detects that the machine it's restoring to is not made by the manufacturer of the CD. (e.g. Using a Dell recovery CD generally won't work if the machine isn't a Dell).

2. It is not legal to move an OEM installation of Windows from one machine to another, no matter if you get it to work or not.

3. If you can pick up a legit copy of XP for $5, you should run out and buy like 5 copies just to have. :) 
May 2, 2008 3:36:11 PM

SomeJoe7777 said:
3. If you can pick up a legit copy of XP for $5, you should run out and buy like 5 copies just to have. :) 

From where?

!