MS Better Fix This!!!! :(

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I am sick and tired of this 4gb issue in Vista (yes, the 64 bit version). I paid for and installed 4 gigs of ram in my new system and now Vista will only recognize three. Yeah, no big deal. But when I tried to install KB 292777 after removing 2 gigs, it still wouldn't word because according to MS, the update still "doesn't apply." What got me really mad though was when I went to MS for help, I discovered that I won't get any WITHOUT PAYING 60 BUCKS FOR SUPPORT, WHICH PROBABLY SUCKS ANYWAY!!! Really, isn't the price gouging bad enough without charging an ABSURD fee for support!?!? Thanks microsoft. Man software sucks sometimes :( This issue better be addressed in SP1, because I have spent many hours trying to fix it to no avail!!!

Well... I'm running V64, with 4GB of RAM, and for sure Vista 64 recognizes every bit of it.

I looked back through this forum and didn't see a post of your original problem - Is is simply that Vista doesn't recognize all 4GB?? It otherwise runs well? Please save the flames, and be specific.

Now, if I had seen this post on some other forum, my knee-jerk reaction might be to point out that "Vista Ultimate" =/= "Vista 64". Because I *have* seen some n00bz swearing up and down that exact thing. But this is Tom's and things like that wouldn't happen here. So let's figure out what the problem is...

Since we *know* the OS is capable of recognizing 4GB and more, but your system isn't showing it - The next thing to check is whether your Motherboard has a mapping setting that needs to be set. So check your mobo manual and see.

The next possibility is that one of your DIMMS is bad, or not seated properly. Run Memtest. Remove two Gigs to see do both get recognized. Then try the other two. Then try the same thing in the other set of memory slots - Maybe your Mobo has a problem.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
no ill feelings! I was just pissed about the ms support feature. As far as I know, my mobo does not support any sort of mapping settings. I have searched extensively through the options in BIOS and in the manual...nothing.

Next step, BIOS recognizes all four gigs, as does CPUZ. It's only vista that doesn't. Wouldn't that rule out there being a physical problem anywhere? I have a feeling that if I could just install KB 29277 the problem would be solved, yet MS update tool tells me the update doesn't apply, both when I try to install w/ 4 gigs and w/ 2 gigs. And yes, I promise I have a 64 bit os! (Vista Home Basic x64).

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
what does the bios/post of the mobo say you have.. willing to bet it says 3 gig.

which means, either bad ram, or the mobo is mapping a lot of I/O into the upper 1 gig range, robbing you of the last gig.

OK - Vista Home Basic doesn't come with a 64 bit CD. The only thing that's in the box is 32 bit. Did you order the 64 bit CD from Microsoft? It's separate and costs something like $10. If you didn't oder the thing separately, then you definitely have the 32 bit version.

Not busting your ballz, but trying to eliminate the obvious.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Ara you sure your BIOS is correctly configured and that your Motherboard supports MORE than 4GB of total system memory? If it's not the case, the BIOS must remap some ROM into RAM and you can see all the 4GB.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
hmm retro77, that sounds interesting...i have to look into that. can you tell me more in detail how to do this, or should i just do some research?

as to everyone else, I ordered the 64 bit OEM version from newegg. The OS identifies itself as being 64 bit. Lol, I should know after all the software incompatibility issues i've had!

Mobo is P6N SLI Platinum, I'm pretty sure it supports up to 8 gigs. Also, bios and post confirms 4 gigs, as does cpuz.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
There is your support issue answer. You bought the OEM version which does not include a manual or support. That is spelled out clearly by MS.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Liek everyone said, you have to have turned on the remapping in the BIOS so that IO is remapped above the 4Gb boundary to have all 4 Gb of the address space available to the OS. Before you start cursing, make sure it's not your own fault.

And like someone pointed out, there is no support provided for OEM versions of Windows, since it is the OEMs that are supposed to support their customers.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I was going to say, I have 4 gigs on my board (soon to be 8) in vista, 64bit and everything works like a dream.... other then my unreasable want of ambient temps on my q6600...... but that just because I am, "special".

Bobplayer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Fisrt off 32 bit systems only support up to 3.2 gigs of ram. or something like that. Where as 64 bit systems can support 16 gigs. THIS might be your problem with the missing ram. its THERE, just your O/S will not support it.

Tekkaman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Did anybody happen to read the posts? Not trying to be mean, but

"my mobo does not support any sort of mapping settings. I have searched extensively through the options in BIOS and in the manual...nothing."

Does the above translate to - Please tell me the same thing over and over again or ask me the same question that I've already answered?

More than likely, if his board doesn't happen to support it, we're left with the /3GB option, which the OP has been informed of by retro77.

@OP:
Can you give us your actual board? I don't remember seeing it in here, but it would probably help those that are familiar with the bios or its features when it comes to helping you.

We also have the testing that still needs to be done, but it almost seems pointless due to CPU-Z acknowledging it, but from this point I'd say that it is one of the only other options aside from what some would consider normal check ups.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Anyone know if the Basic edition of Vista x64 supports more than 4 GB? Any chance MSFT cobbled it the way they used to cobble Windows Server (e.g. vs. Advanced Server)?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
haha. Thank you tekkaman and siriusstarr! Yeah some people have not read all the posts, or even all of the first post!

My board is a p6N SLI Platinum, here's a link to information:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P6N_SLI_Platinum&class=mb

I have neither heard of nor tried the /3G option. I have some hope vested in that, so how do i do it?

Oh yeah, and I guess it's my own damn fault for having the support issue! Oh well! At least I'll admit to it...

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Are you using task manager to check your RAM size, or System Properties from My Computer? Because when I overclocked my CPU, System Properties still recognized it at its default speed, even though I was sure it was running faster. It might be the case with your RAM - Vista DOES see all of it, it just doesn't list it in System Properties. Check your RAM in Task Manager.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Ok, bizzare issues now but i think we're getting closer to the root of the problem. In the system configuration utility (MSCONFIG), there is an option checked that sets a maximum amount of memory. The highest I can set this value to is 4096. However, doing so still results in the three gig limit. However, if I uncheck the max memory box and reboot, vista recognizes all 4 gigs, but performance SUCKS! Who will read this riddle? I am stumped now. what were you guys talking about earlier with the /3G thing?

jwolf24601

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I am so glad I only got 3gb of ram lol.

When you boot up it does say 4gb(4096mb) of ram right? If not then it's not vista it's hardware/bios.

If it does not display the ram on start up go into bios and look for the number.

If the bios is stating the ram correctly then it's a Vista problem... did vista ever show 4gb? If it did you could try using the recovery option to set it back to previous date. If not then your best bet would be to format and reinstall the OS.

9 times out of 10 reformatting fixes everything...

If you reformat and it still shows 3gb I would take a good look at that OS disk, maybe they sent you an 32bit disk in a 64bit sleeve (MS mix up at manufacturing)

EDIT* Also I would install CPU-Z and see what it tells you.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

I have Vista Ultimate 64 Bit with 8GB of RAM. I just checked the MSCONFIG setting that you referenced in your post. My computer (Dell MB) says the maximum RAM is 8192.

My computer is fully recognizing the 8GB of RAM. The 8GB is shown in the Dell BIOS, Task Manager, WEI etc.

Oh, and that MS patch KB 292777, well I can not get the sucker to load. Even stripping the computer down to 1GB of RAM the patch does not load.

I realize this is a stupid question, but are you sure you have 8GB of RAM, your MB will access 8GB of RAM and have installed the 64bit OS?

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Is your RAM recommended by MSI for using in all 4 memory slots? Some brands and models can only be used in max 3 slots.