Sign in with
Your question

PC wont shut down

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2007 7:43:00 AM

Hi guys

When I came back to my PC one morning, after it had been running all night, I found that it was shut down, but the fans were still on. This made me worried...something has happened over night.

Now, whenever I turn off the PC, it all looks fine up until it should switch the power off for the fans ect... The fans never turn off, so I have to turn off the PSU for it to be really turned off.

I have tried to reinstall Vista, but this did not help.

I am thinking that something might have happened to the motherboard or the PSU.

Please ask any questions if I did not explain the problem good enough.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance :) 

More about : wont shut

October 8, 2007 7:47:07 AM

Hmm...forgot to include my PC specs ... and am not allowed to edit my message, so here it goes:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
Motherboard: ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2
RAM: 2x512MB DDR2-PC5300 and 2x512MB DDR2-PC6400
Graphics: ASUS EAX1300PRO SILENT/TD
HDD: Maxtor 250GB + Maxtor 300GB + Seagate 320GB
PSU: Chill Innovation CP-520A3 ATX 2.2 (520W)
Case: Antec LifeStyle SOLO
Case fans: 2xAntec TriCool 92mm
CPU cooling: SilverStone Nitrogen NT01 V2.0 (heatsink)
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 205BW (20" LCD)
October 8, 2007 8:22:55 AM

Sounds like your power profile got buggered.... Go into control panel >power >advanced settings and change the power settings to all 'always on' sleep 'never, etc. Pay attention to the power button settings, etc.

Seems to be a glitch in some versions of Vista that after a system reset it resorts back to default power settings. I've had this issue happen as well.

Also check your error messages and see if you can determine why it turned off in the first place.
Related resources
October 8, 2007 1:50:06 PM

There's a chance that the APCI is not enabled in the bios, for power managment. If it's disabled, then windows won't know how to turn it off. I'd also check the device manager in windows to be sure everything shows up without any problems. Usually chipset drivers for the MB can also cause that problem. Usually if the chipset and video drivers are installed correctly, when you choose the shut the PC off, all choices should be available. (Standby Shutdown Restart) I remember not installing the video driver, and Stand by was grayed out, so I couldn't click on it.

Good luck on that.
October 8, 2007 4:45:50 PM

Hi

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I have tried enabling everything saying something with APCI in the bios, and also set up the power settings to shut down etc... but the problem still persists :( 

It looks more and more like a hardware error to me ... do you agree?
October 8, 2007 4:57:37 PM

Not Exactly sure.

Look in Device Manager, and expand the computer tree. It should read "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

If you had the ACPI disabled in the bios when you installed XP, that may cause it to load the wrong HAL support. If so, you may need to back your stuff up, and reinstall windows again with ACPI enabled, and be sure to install the latest drivers for that MB.

GL on that.
October 8, 2007 5:03:47 PM

Ok...it says "ACPI x86-based PC".

And I am not running XP, but Vista. Does this make a difference?
October 8, 2007 5:18:01 PM

Yes... that might. Hard to say how mature the drivers are for certain MB Brands out there in 64bit world.

Not sure if you have looked/installed Vista drivers off ARock's website, but here is what I found:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=ConRoeXFire-eSATA2&s=

I think it should just be a driver issue. The driver I think may help you out is "INF driver ver:8.1.1.1001". If you haven't yet, try installing it according to it's instructions.

Quote:
* 1. OVERVIEW
The Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility installs
Windows* INF files to the target system. These files outline
to the operating system how to configure the Intel(R) chipset
components in order to ensure that the following features
function properly:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- PCIe Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- SATA Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) Chipset Components in
the Device Manager

Hope that helps.
October 8, 2007 6:35:24 PM

Hi again

First of all ... I really apreciate your help and effort, thanks Grimmy.

I have now installed the driver you recommended... but it did unfortunately not fix the problem :( 

And..btw, I am running the 32bit version of Vista - x86.... but this driver should also work for 32bit, so that was ok to try.

I have no ideas left... this problem sux :) 

I can live with it for now, since I can still use the computer...it is just anoying to have to reach behind the compter to power off the PSU every time I shut down.

But please .. if you can come up with any other suggestions :) 
!