niksi

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I’m using windows XP and the computer seems fine while running programs or surfing the net. But as soon as I start a game and play for a while the game freezes and the computer reboots. I’ve tried changing the video drivers, changing the mobo drivers, changing the windows, changing the directX, but nothing helped. So I thought that the problem is a hardware one. I replaced the mobo, cpu, ram and the HDDs, again nothing changed so I thought that the problem is with the video card, so I changed tree different graphic adapters but still nothing changed. All the voltages and temps are OK, all testing software results are OK. I’ve also tried downclocking the cpu, vga and ram which helped but not entirely it just delayed the rebooting. I do not know what to do else, if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Currently I’m using: cpu athlon64 4200+ X2, mb Asus M2N- Sli Delux, 2X 1GB apacer DDR667, vga Msi NX7600 GS, hdd Maxtor 250GB, psu Codegen 500W. Thanks.

niksi

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I’ve removed the nvidia IDE SW and the AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet but no luck still reboots. I don’t think it is bios or ram related because the problem started while using an MSI s939 mobo with DDR333 ram and after switching to the mobo and ram I’m now using it still occurs. Thanks anyway.

niksi

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
The temperatures are:
MB: 38C, 40-45C while playing
CPU: 41C, 45-55C while playing
About the psu, the cheap ones also manifest in lower voltages than the specified, but nonetheless I’ll try another psu. Thanks.

I's say either the PSU or possibly a program that conflicts with the game. I use DVD43 for decoding dvds and if it is running when I start a game it will go into a blue screen and reboot. I have to remember to shut that program off first.

If you send an error report it will usually tell you what program caused the problem if it is a program compatibility issue.

My first bet is the PSU but the cheapest thing to check first is a conflicting program...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
The PSU is definitely not from a top-tier company, but let's be honest... the OP isn't trying to run an outrageous system. A 7600GS is a pretty humble video card in terms of power requirements.

Since underclocking seemed to help the problem, I think it's safe to say the OP has one of two problems... either a thermal problem or a power problem.

niksi

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I did some research and the only psus that I can find in my country and in my price range are:

CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W (RP-550-PCAP) ATX12V V2.01 Passive PFC 500W

Spire SP-ATX-600W Spire PSU 600W (Real Power), Nickel Coated, ATX spec. compliant

Any thoughts on them?

If those are your only choices, I'd choose Spire over CoolerMaster. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone who can provide something from Tier-3 or better from the list akhilles linked.