Small amount of space left on partition

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I have a partition that I keep my games on on a raptor hard drive. It's total capacity is 39.2gbs. Right now, there is only about 3gbs left on it. Does havinf so little space left on that partition reduce the performance? Or should it be fine?

Thanks for your help.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Having little space left shouldn't affect drive performance except that the as the tracks get closer to the inside of the spindle, the linear velocity decreases and thus transfer speeds fall off. That's simply physics and happens relatively linearly across the entire length of the drive. You shouldn't really notice a difference unless your Windows swap file is there and there isn't enough space for it anymore or it is fragmented.

-mcg

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
HDBench usually shows a marked increase in access times on the inner cylinders. Say, up to about 30% or so... Personally, I find that a good defrag does wonders for access times, but with that little space to work with it will take a while.

Can you de-install a few of your lesser-used games? You can always re-install them, can't you?

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
well I have a 25gb c partition, and then a 5gb page file partition, and then the 39gb games partition.

But then I have a 500gb hard drive. I actually copy all of my games to that hard drive too, so I can just swap out the games that I play the most to the raptor. I was just wondering if the small amount of free space would inhibit the seeking and reading somehow. Which MrCommunistGen has told me it doesn't.

I also have PerfectDisk 2008, and it says there is very little fragmentation.