Sign in with
Your question

Raptor won't work (RAW?) - SOLVED!

Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2008 7:38:02 AM

I just turned my rig on for the first time tonight.

When i installed windows, both HDDs were listed and I forgot to click delete on the raptor one, but I don't think it has windows on it.

Basically I just want my raptor to run my games, as I have the OS installed on my 7200.10 barracuda.

How can I get my raptor to work?

Do I just format D:\?

If someone could give me a step-by-step that'd be great. I also dont know if I need to change the type of partition (FAT32 etc... not sure what the hell those partition things are anyways just trying to cover all bases).

Vista 64,

More about : raptor work raw solved

May 1, 2008 8:14:40 AM

Have you gone into your BIOS and checked to see if the drive is recognized? You may also see it in your first boot screen that shows all the devices connected (hard drives, dvd drives, etc.) Make sure that you have the jumpers set properly on the drive as well. You want your seagate set as the master and the raptor set as the slave. If you bought a retail version of the raptor(and maybe the oem) it should have come with a disk to do a quick format. You can format the hard drive as either FAT32 or NTSF. Since it is not holding the OS you aren't very limited on the style of partition you put on it.

On a side note, I think you would have seen a better performance increase with the raptor drive if you had installed the OS on it instead of on the seagate. You would have benefited from a faster windows boot time, as well as faster load times for many things inside of windows.
May 1, 2008 8:22:51 AM

I need the faster load times for the game I play :) 

BIOS recognizes it, bought it OEM from eBay. (only because warranty til 2011)

No jumpers set on any of them. ('cuda had one set) but I read on newegg reviews that the particular jumper location limited it to 1.5gb/s instead of 3.0gb/s

I was told earlier I didn't need jumpers on the drives, do I?

Attempting a format now, will post results
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 9:45:28 AM

Shocking said:
I just turned my rig on for the first time tonight.

When i installed windows, both HDDs were listed and I forgot to click delete on the raptor one, but I don't think it has windows on it.

Basically I just want my raptor to run my games, as I have the OS installed on my 7200.10 barracuda.

How can I get my raptor to work?

Do I just format D:\?

If someone could give me a step-by-step that'd be great. I also dont know if I need to change the type of partition (FAT32 etc... not sure what the hell those partition things are anyways just trying to cover all bases).

Vista 64,

right click my computer -> manage -> disk management
May 1, 2008 10:22:07 AM

You can also download and install WD's disk management software which is pretty straightforward.

-mcg
May 1, 2008 9:26:10 PM

Thanks guys/gals. :) 

Soon as I get my core temp situation figured out i'll be tryin this out lol.
May 2, 2008 12:06:25 AM

I looked in disk management and it says my disk is "RAW" instead of NTSF or FAT32... how can I fix this? WD's support isnt very clear... and I don't have a floppy drive =\

*edit* tried a quick format and it failed.

Will a regular length one work?

This drive is brand new (to me) and I don't care if it gets wiped clean I just want to be able to install games on it (no OS).\

*edit 2* lol did a quicktest with data lifeguard and it sounds like a racecar zooming by... god I hope its not like that when I'm reading information off there.

a b G Storage
May 2, 2008 6:05:56 AM

Shocking said:
I looked in disk management and it says my disk is "RAW" instead of NTSF or FAT32... how can I fix this? WD's support isnt very clear... and I don't have a floppy drive =\

*edit* tried a quick format and it failed.

Will a regular length one work?

This drive is brand new (to me) and I don't care if it gets wiped clean I just want to be able to install games on it (no OS).\

*edit 2* lol did a quicktest with data lifeguard and it sounds like a racecar zooming by... god I hope its not like that when I'm reading information off there.

the test hammers the drive so thats cool

use the write zero feature in wd tools and use disc management to create a new partition (don't forget to initialize)
May 2, 2008 7:48:02 PM

Thanks... It worked great!!!
!