Sign in with
Your question

ASUS A7N8X deluxe won't POST....

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2007 12:15:49 AM

Hey guys, a while back i built a new computer and gave my old machine to my sister. Earlier today she said she heard a popping or a snapping noise as she tried to turn it on and now the machine won't POST or boot. I think this may be a motherboard problem, but I am uncertain whether or not this is the case.

I opened up the case to take a look inside to see if maybe a capacitor had popped, but I could see no signs of damage on the machine. Any help is appreciated.

As mentioned above, the motherboard in this computer is an A7N8X Deluxe.

Thanks

-Zorak

More about : asus a7n8x deluxe post

November 3, 2007 1:06:04 AM

The pop was probably the power supply and the motherboard is most likely toast.
November 3, 2007 2:04:34 AM

Thanks, do you know how I would be able to verify whether any damage has been done to the power supply?
Related resources
November 3, 2007 2:55:37 AM

Easiest way would be to buy a new PSU and try it out. Maybe go to a local retail store try it and if it still doesnt work return it.

My build from like 5 or 6 years ago had an A7N8X Deluxe... If I would have known someone needed it, I would have gladdly given it away. Great board for its time, sorry it happened.
November 3, 2007 3:53:35 AM

I second the recommendation and opinion - most likely the PSU - make sure to buy a brand-name PSU (Thermaltake, Antec (well, some recommend them...I don't), Seasonic, Enermax...and others). Also, you can pick up a PSU tester from Newegg or some local retailer to test the PSU....

Granted, brand name PSU's can be defective too, but they are more stable and have a better chance of living longer...
November 4, 2007 3:10:21 AM

Also, I was just wondering, if it was a problem with the PSU, wouldn't I be unable to get the machine to even turn on? At this point it turns on but I can't even get into the BIOS.

Thanks for all the help so far.

-Zorak
November 4, 2007 3:23:18 AM

Years ago, I chose to buy a cheap generic PSU for my first PC build. A half a year later, my PC would crash during games and had issues shutting down sometimes. Turns out that ASUS Probe recorded the 3.3V line to drop to 2.75V during load.... Side note, that was with my A7V8X MB before I upgraded to the A7N8X-E
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2007 5:28:28 AM

Try another PSU in the system, there is a good chance that just the psu blew, its common.
November 4, 2007 10:07:33 PM

If it is a PSU problem, and I am able to successfully boot after replacing it, are there any utilities i could use to check that my motherboard is still working?

-Zorak
November 4, 2007 10:32:33 PM

Zorak said:
If it is a PSU problem, and I am able to successfully boot after replacing it, are there any utilities i could use to check that my motherboard is still working?

-Zorak

The proof will be in the running of the system. No real motherboard testing utilities that I know of. Perhaps Memtest86.

If it boots after replacing the PSU I'd simply assume that was your only problem and hope for the best.

November 4, 2007 11:11:25 PM

My daughter had the same problem with the system I gave her (my old system) everything turned on, fans ran, but no post, no beep, no picture. Turned out to be the vid card. I suggest checking that to. As a side note, the fan on the vid card ran, but the card was dead.
November 8, 2007 2:08:41 AM

Thanks, i'll certainly take that into consideration, although I did have output onto the monitor, it just wouldn't post or let me into the BIOS.

-Zorak
October 27, 2009 6:57:51 PM

Zorak said:
Thanks, i'll certainly take that into consideration, although I did have output onto the monitor, it just wouldn't post or let me into the BIOS.

-Zorak

Don't know if you are still checking this board. I have the exact same problem, except my ps burnt up literally. I could smell it and I knew what it was. I have tired other ps and still have the same problem you have. Before I give up I was wondering what you did or found?
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 7:41:32 AM

ummmm that was from like 2+ years and seriously, a Socket A rig? DUMP IT!
!