Sign in with
Your question

Stumped! DVD burners not working on my computer

Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2008 4:59:23 PM

I'm stumped in this situation I'm in. I posted here because I know there's like 3780108347822.3 million trillion people here that are ueber smart! :wahoo: 

Anyway, here's the story...

I built this nice computer with using parts from newegg - Vista 64, dual quad core Intel, 4gb memory, geforce 8800gtx on 700PSU. I bought a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135156]Asus DVD burner, model DRW-2014L1T http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135156http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

Does the exact same stuff. Reads alright, but doesn't burn worth a crap. I had to just turn off my computer because there was no way to make the whirring stop after I attempted to write a full audio CD (with minutes to spare though). I got up this morning and turned on my computer, and Windows wouldn't boot! I disconnected the drive, and it booted fine. I put it back in, and wouldn't boot again. I put in the Asus drive, and it booted up perfectly!

WTF! Did I get ANOTHER piece of garbage device, or is there something severely wrong with my computer? Am I doing something wrong here? Any help is appreciated. I am really stumped!" target="_blank">

I was always able to read my DVD's, and CD's perfectly. Even rip songs and what-not. I tried writing, and I make coasters if it is too much data. I downloaded the firmware update and the Vista 64 drivers, and still makes coasters out of my DVD and CD's. This is even using Nero, Windows, and WMP.

I figured, ok... this thing is FUBAR. I tried to get tech support from Asus, and lo and behold... they hung up on me when I was 20 minutes on hold because they said they were too busy, for me to try again later. =/
I sent in an RMA request twice in 3 weeks, and no response to this day (this was a month ago).

I bit the bullet and bought a new DVD write from newegg. This time it was a Samsung SH-S203N. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

Does the exact same stuff. Reads alright, but doesn't burn worth a crap. I had to just turn off my computer because there was no way to make the whirring stop after I attempted to write a full audio CD (with minutes to spare though). I got up this morning and turned on my computer, and Windows wouldn't boot! I disconnected the drive, and it booted fine. I put it back in, and wouldn't boot again. I put in the Asus drive, and it booted up perfectly!

WTF! Did I get ANOTHER piece of garbage device, or is there something severely wrong with my computer? Am I doing something wrong here? Any help is appreciated. I am really stumped!
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 5:17:17 PM

IMO it's very unlikely that you bought two different burners that can both read but not write. I suspect your hardware is fine, and the problem is somewhere in Vista. Can you install XP or Win2K or something on a separate partition and try writing from there? Just to check that the drives are OK.

May 1, 2008 5:39:33 PM

I agree with what's his face. I also believe the issue lies within vista. Are there any errors within the system/application logs? If there are, can you produce them?

check out this link. The fix is for a different issue but i'd try it just to see if it works. Let me know...

http://portal.itauth.com/2007/11/23/disappearing-dvd-cd...
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 5:44:38 PM

Try burning a data CD at low speed.
Try different software like iTunes, Imgburn.
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 5:57:31 PM

Did you try different types of media, by any chance? For example my Plextor PX-810SA works like a charm at 16x with disks from Memorex, Phillips and Imation, but with Verbatim or FujiFilm it makes coasters if I try to use more than 4x.
May 1, 2008 6:14:16 PM

The Samsung drive probably is junk - all the ones that came in the Dell's at my work die if they are used any at all. I recommend trying different media as well - no name stuff rarely gives good results.
May 1, 2008 6:23:31 PM

aevm:
I don't think I'll install anything with XP, I'll probably just use these drives on my XP machine. And you're absolutely right, I think it is highly unlikely that I have a problem with 2 drives.
Also, I didn't try different media, but one of them is samsung, which should be compatible with the samsung burner... ?

Twittermando:
Where do I find these logs for Vista?

evongugg:
It seems when I try to make it burn, it starts out at a really fast RPM and then slows down. Then it just stops responding. I'll check into that.
May 1, 2008 7:32:09 PM

What mobo are you using? Did you apply the chipset drivers? ...yes, prolly, but just checking. How's everything look in Device Mangler?
May 1, 2008 9:16:06 PM

That could be it.

Right after you install the OS its typically good form, in Windows, to install the mobo's chipset drivers. Installing them may positively affect your issue.

EDIT: NICE Motherboard...damn. However, SuperMicro's website does not seem to have drivers for Vista. ...makes sense actually since its a server board. That sux because the Windows chipset drivers are quite important, as you're seeing.
May 1, 2008 9:30:12 PM

utaka95 said:
The Samsung drive probably is junk - all the ones that came in the Dell's at my work die if they are used any at all. I recommend trying different media as well - no name stuff rarely gives good results.

That samsung Drive is one of the best you can buy. Stop spreading false crap info.
May 1, 2008 9:55:21 PM

skittle said:
That samsung Drive is one of the best you can buy. Stop spreading false crap info.

I have the forerunner SH-183L and its worked like a charm, I've burned and lightscribed a plethora of disks with no trouble at all. That 203N is an upgrade, I've got a feeling it'll work for you well when this issue is resolved.
May 1, 2008 10:40:47 PM

Good catch Halcyon, but I did actually call tech support for this issue.

We / I was able to find it when we looked up the term "7DAL-E" in the search bar. :sarcastic: 
He said it was interchangeable with the mobo I have.

Anyways, I tried flashing the BIOS but I'm having issues. Maybe this thread could help me figure this out too...
The instructions are to go into the command prompt and type "flash.bat 7dal3208.rom".
I do that, but then it gives me an error for "chkbat" or something like that - that it's not a valid command or something. I don't have a floppy on this PC so I can't use the exe version. I guess I can always take the floppy drive from my other PC...
May 1, 2008 11:00:48 PM

update:
The new disc burner works fine on my XP machine (d'oh!)... which probably means that the other burner works fine as well.

One thing I found funny though, was that it didn't let it boot XP either! I was somehow smart enough to get the fubar disc out of the burner, and it started Winblows perfectly! argh...

So now, the problem lies somewhere on my machine. I'm going to try switching SATA cables and ports. Then if that isn't successful, I'm going to have to rip my floppy drive out of my XP machine and slap it into my Vista machine and try to do the BIOS update via that ancient technology.
May 2, 2008 1:10:33 AM

That would suck, seems like it might be worth it to get one of the $15 USB floppy drives. ...just for such occasions and when you need to to install RAID drivers, etc.
May 2, 2008 1:12:32 AM

Dang...
I need some help now. I flashed my BIOS, but my BIOS doesn't recognize my RAID 0 array! Does anyone know anything about how do I go about getting it recognized again??? Dang...
May 2, 2008 1:15:20 AM

There should be somewhere in your BIOS under (or near) IDE where it allows you to enable/disable RAID.
May 2, 2008 3:17:52 PM

Well that was a scare... I'm back on the PC again, and I had to do what you said (but I had already done that), but I had to move up the HD in the boot sequence.

Anyway, the DVD-burner still isn't working. I've tried everything except for the Vista 64-bit drivers (which you were correct... it doesn't have any! WTF!)...

I flashed my BIOS, I changed the cable and the port, I've pretty much done everything I've been asked to do - except for the chipset drivers. F this, I'm going to call those f'ers right now and ask them why in the hell they haven't made any Vista 64 drivers!
a b G Storage
May 2, 2008 3:39:25 PM

Which f'ers? Asus, Samsung, both?
May 2, 2008 3:50:25 PM

MajorAmby said:
Well that was a scare... I'm back on the PC again, and I had to do what you said (but I had already done that), but I had to move up the HD in the boot sequence.

Anyway, the DVD-burner still isn't working. I've tried everything except for the Vista 64-bit drivers (which you were correct... it doesn't have any! WTF!)...

I flashed my BIOS, I changed the cable and the port, I've pretty much done everything I've been asked to do - except for the chipset drivers. F this, I'm going to call those f'ers right now and ask them why in the hell they haven't made any Vista 64 drivers!

I know that's gotta be annoying that there's no Vista64 drivers, however, in their defense...that is a server board, but since they have Win2K and XP there's no reason for them not to have Vista drivers. Laziness? You could try installing XP, using their chipset drivers just to see if that affects the issue. Heck, you could always run XP and use VMWare to virtualize Vista ...but I know that's not your goal.
May 2, 2008 4:03:20 PM

the f'ers = supermicro

But I just called them to see if they truly didn't have any Vista drivers... anyway, apparently I've had the chipset drivers the whole time in the mobo cd. The Vista drivers are not downloadable via the internet. I think the reason is just because it hasn't been updated.

I updated the chipset drivers, and the drive is still doing the same thing - another coaster.

I also still need to download and use a new SATA controller driver.

The guy on the phone said that he thinks it is because I am using Intel's RAID drivers, and not Adaptec. He said that people using Intel's RAID drivers haven't even had luck getting their SATA DVD drives to even READ anything, let alone write. So he's pretty sure that's the issue.

I'm still waiting for the file - he sent it through e-mail a while ago.

So if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to back everything I have up, and just format my drives, re-install Vista, by using Adaptec's RAID drivers. And if that doesn't work, I'm going to be madder than a hornet's nest!!!
May 2, 2008 4:09:34 PM

Well, that's what the guy on the phone thinks it is, which is what I posted above your post! :) 
a b G Storage
May 2, 2008 4:44:03 PM

Can you try an IDE burner?
May 2, 2008 4:54:01 PM

I like Aevm's answer (that is the answer I have used as well in my own system)
a b G Storage
May 2, 2008 5:42:23 PM

I hope it works for him too :) 

It kind of stinks though. He's got two of the best burners out there and a very fancy motherboard. He really shouldn't have problems like that.
May 2, 2008 7:22:45 PM

Thanks guys, I can tell you guys really care. :) 

Anyway, I was going to try to update the SATA controllers but they're already up to date! :heink: 

So, unfortunately... I'm going to have to format my hard drives and use Adaptec SATA / RAID controllers instead of Intel's. They said that they are surprised that I'm even able to do anything with my DVD burner because they haven't heard of anyone that has been able to do anything with theirs using Intel controllers. So I'm guessing that using Adaptec will help the situation.

Ugh... when I think about how I had Vista 64 working perfectly the way I wanted, then with all of my 3d applications, and all of my settings I have just right on Photoshop, and the myriad of programs I'm going to have to re-install and get Vista drivers for again... UGH!!!
May 2, 2008 7:27:23 PM

Perhaps you can use Ghost to image your existing setup so that if the new install doesn't deliver you could roll back?
May 2, 2008 7:42:52 PM

That sounds like a great suggestion.

I think I would rather do everything manually all over again just due to driver issues. I don't want to risk it happening again... awesome suggestion, and something I didn't think about though.
May 2, 2008 7:48:07 PM

Yeah, when disaster strikes I tend to do manual installs instead of using ghost too. I always feel like, "I'm going to do it cleaner and slicker this time."
a b G Storage
May 2, 2008 7:51:30 PM

Well, it's good to reinstall Windows from time to time just to clean the registry, if nothing else.
May 2, 2008 8:36:49 PM

Well I guess I aint going to be re-installing Vista anytime soon... I'm backing up my information via 2 redundant external drives (2x500gb), and it says it's going to take 53 days and 20 hours!!! :ouch: 
:lol: 
It usually takes 4-6 hours no matter what it says though! ;) 

Yeah, thanks for trying to make me see the silver lining about the whole issue. I just hope to heck it works!!! :p 
May 6, 2008 3:23:26 AM

Argh... I didn't really try much during the weekend, but I tried to fix the situation today and remake my array with Adaptec instead of Intel.

Well, I remade my array. After hours upon hours of frustration due to an issue that was miraculous to solve (my Vista installation constantly gave me an error that didn't let me install. I somehow was able to figure out that it was because my DVD drive was f'ing tilted! That's what caused the issue!!! weird)...

I was able to notice that Vista didn't find my hard drive. It would ask me "wtf drive do you want to install it on" (verbatim... ok, not really), and it didn't show any mass storage devices. Well I tried a couple of different things and still, doesn't see any drives.

I go back to Intel Raid controllers, and lo and behold... there's my hard drive. Jesus Christ.......
I'm calling Supermorons tomorrow when their support center opens.
May 9, 2008 6:18:25 PM

Ok, I formatted my hard drives, and I ended up using the Intel controllers again. :sarcastic: 

I used an "updated" Intel SATA controller driver (I quoted it because it doesn't have a release date on it from what I can tell), and now I am able to burn whole CD's of information! I don't know what the heck happened, so don't even ask. I'm going to venture a guess that it now works because I either formatted my hard drive, or because I used an "updated" SATA controller.

I think the ugly part about the whole thing is that Supermorons were really stupid. They were knowledgeable, but never cohesive in a belief about something. Some told me Adaptec, others told me Intel. Some told me that neither can work correctly because of the weakness of the Southbridge chip, and others told me that I shouldn't need new drivers at all. :whistle: 

At least I got my stuff straightened out! Now back to installing all of my graphics, 3d programs, and drivers / updates! ugh...

BTW... THANKS to everyone here who tried to help out! :sol: 
May 9, 2008 6:27:15 PM

I'm glad you got it working, think of all that you learned!
!