Computer Powers briefly then shuts off

eberok

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hey

i'm putting together a computer for the first time. I have a evga 680i motherboard, 2gigs ddr800 ram, 700w OCZ PSU, q6600 w/ arctic cooling freezer 7 pro.

I managed to get all these parts together and in the case. I attached the fans on the antec 900 case and powered it on. Everything was fine and all the fans were spinning. I left it alone for two hours and came back. I made sure the heatsink was still clipped in (it was giving me problems earlier) and then tried to power it on again. Only this time, it would power up for 2 seconds and then shut off. All the fans/leds would light up and spin for the 2 seconds. However, the blue light on the motherboard stayed on even after the fans shut off. This light stays on from the moment I hit the switch on the PSU. Once the fans die, I still can hit the power button the case to repeat the process with the same results. I'm at a loss as the EVGA manual says very little on troubleshooting.

Any help is appreciated.

note: i don't have any graphic card, hdd, or dvd drive installed yet.

eberok

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
my PSU came w/ 2 4-pin cpu power connectors. They were labeled CPU1 and CPU2. I put the two together in the 8 slot assuming the same principle applied for the 20+4 main board connection.

The board is a A1.

And i do have the other components, just don't have them hooked up yet because I wanted to test my work thus far.

The strange thing is that it was working fine this morning and now it's not.

akhilles

Splendid
I don't do that at all. I build a pc with barebone: mobo, cpu, hsf, ram & either onboard video or video card. So I can see what's going & test the parts before putting them in the case. I don't think the mobo manual suggests testing w/o a video card. They will tell you to hook up this & that for a full build.