swapping Zalman 9500 for Ultra120 extreme, much better temps?

i have a zalman 9500, i want better cooling but dont want to replace if its not going to be dramatically better,
also im unsure if the base on my 9500 is uneven because my temps idle are 40, 38, 33, 36,
i read here that tightening screws in a certain way can even contact but zalman only has 2
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131481
5 answers Last reply
More about swapping zalman 9500 ultra120 extreme temps
  1. You probably would see a bit of a temperature drop by going to an ultra 120. It also appears that 2 cores are hotter that the other 2 cores at the moment which means that yes the heatsink could be sitting enevenly. One screw may be slightly tighter than the other. Its not a major issue though.
  2. That's not even how the cores are laid out.

It's more like this:

With the dot facing to the bottom right as if you were standing it up in a tower.

TRUE does better than Zalman, but don't expect miracles. You will prolly see high 20s at idle.
  3. agreed but still means you could overclock a bit more
  4. cnumartyr said:

TRUE does better than Zalman, but don't expect miracles. You will prolly see high 20s at idle.

you mean instead of high 30's or are you taking stock temps?
    if im looking at -10 degrees then thats dramatic enough for me!
  5. My CPU is idling at 25C.

Cores are 35/35/38/38. (2 of mine have always idled higher).

This is with a lapped TRUE/Proc and an undervolted Ultra Kaze prolly pushing around 60-70 CFM. The processor is running at 3.6 GHz w/ 1.416vCore pushing through it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Zalman Cooling Overclocking