Sign in with
Your question

P5N32-E SLI serious issues

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2007 8:50:31 AM

Hello,

ever since i have bought this machine, i have the following issue:

installing vista, after the first reboot, right after it installs most of the OS, the screen goes black, hd activity for like 15 secs and then nothing. if i wait for 5 mins it will show a blue screen and restart, then it will continue with the windows setup; alternatively, i can just reset when i get the black screen and get the same result.

after vista is up and running, and im done with installing drivers, the machine becomes very unstable, crashing and hanging for some unknown reason.
what's wierd is that it can run for a whole week without a problem, then i get a hang/blue screen and the OS gets corrupted since i usually have system restore off. so i reinstall windows and then it can freak up again after 2 hours.. this is very wierd to me.

this all seems to be a memory issue or at least a memory compatability issue with the mobo so i flashed latest bios (1205) which supposed to improove mem compatability, and i even changed the voltage of the mem from Auto (1.8v, 1.9v) to 2.1v as stated on forums for my type of mem cards - after doing so the machine ran for like a week and failed again.

im really lost here, i also ran memtest86+ for 3 hours, it got to phase 8 and all was fine, im gonna make a 12hours check just to make sure but i hardly doubt its a mem issue..

ne1 has any idea whats wrong here? am i really forced into replacing the mobo to an intel chipset?

my sys specs:

Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHZ 1333MHZ 4MB 64BIT LGA775 Box
ASUS P5N32-E SLI (QUAD REDY) Nvidia NForce 680i SLI HD Audio + FX/DTS
CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2 2GB (1GBX2) 800MHZ CL4 DUAL XMS
BFG-Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX OC2 768MB PCI-e
W.D. WD2500KS 250GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung DVDRWDRSAM-203B DVD±R x20 DL Black SATA
ThermalTake Soprano VB1000BWS 2x120MM Fans Black
ThermalTake ToughPower W0104RI 650W 4X 12V Rails

p.s. I've just tried installing windows and the installation really crawls, can't even get to the partition part
ne ideas?

More about : p5n32 sli issues

November 3, 2007 10:15:42 AM

I have the same motherboard as you and the one thing that was the worst about it was this.
The BIOS itself was corrupted when I tried to update from the asus update utility.
I eventually but the latest 12.05 BIOS onto a floppy instead; and used the EZflash utility that is in the BIOS itself under "tools" I think. This fixed the BIOS issues.

I run WinXP64 and every now and then my computer just hangs :( 
No blue screen or restart
Just totally frozen!

But this is nothing compared to the bad install from Asus Update utility that is run from windows.

So be sure to use the EZflash if you have not.

gl

frednitney

November 3, 2007 10:33:18 AM

i only use the ez flash 2 utility, after doing so, as i said the machine ran fine for a week and a half and now it fails up again.. do u really think its a bios issue? had the same problems with the former bios which came with the mobo

do u still have this problem and u just deal with it? or have u fixed the hanging issues
Related resources
November 3, 2007 11:05:21 AM

Quote:
do u still have this problem and u just deal with it? or have u fixed the hanging issues

Unfortunately the problem still exists
My system is relatively new; about 1 month.
Maybe 4-5 hangs in total.
The last time it hung up was 3 days ago.
Simply frozen while downloading a file from rapidshare.

I wonder about motherboard drivers; remember the Nvidia4in1 driver packages?

I am going to do some searching on this.

who knows - maybe I need to find some specific 64bit drivers.

frednitney

November 3, 2007 11:10:08 AM

this has nothing to do with 64bit i guess, cause im on 32.

windows vista's latest nforce drivers are: nforce_winvista32_15.08_english

after i install vista it installs everything neways but 1 thing, which gets auto installed after i put the mobo cd in.. maybe i can try installing, then not use the mobo cd at all but to try and update every drivers using that file..

to sum this all up, this is probably a windows vista driver issue?

btw, did u edit ne voltage settings? like ram and so?
November 4, 2007 9:55:25 AM

btw, do u have a retial version of windows or OEM, cause im using an OEM version (warezed) of DELL which can be the problem..
!