Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP install problems

Last response: in Windows XP
March 17, 2010 6:04:23 PM

So here's my problem,

I recently bought some computer parts from newegg to upgrade my computer. With it I bought 2 new 4 gig Gskill sticks of ram, a 2TB hard drive, Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3 in the hopes to be able to dual boot between XP and 7 mainly because I have some older games that I love playing but isn't compatible with Vista or 7. I partitioned the hard drive into two sectors and installed windows 7 on the larger of the two (at first had trouble because it wouldn't read my HD so I had to install mobo drivers so it would read my HD). I then tested windows 7 and it worked fine...then came XP.

At first it wouldn't recognize my HD in XP setup so I switched my sata in bios from RAID to Native IDE and it read the drive. (Before you ask, I downloaded the SATA drivers for the mobo from the manufacture site, Gigabyte, and it still would not read the drive). I then proceeded to install XP on the smaller of the partitions and the install went fine. Then after the final reboot it wouldn't do anything past the post and the "run from CD"...so I switched the SATA back to RAID and it then went to the XP loading screen. After a few minutes, it blue screened and gave me the error message:

stop: 0x0000007b (0xf78a2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've tried the install various different ways: XP first, XP only, applying the drivers with it in native IDE mode...ect. I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into this I would really appreciate any help.
March 18, 2010 2:50:18 PM

I had tried using one of my old ram sticks (2gb) and it still didn't work...I'm thinking it's more of a hard drive compatibility issue
March 19, 2010 4:32:21 PM

Well...after all else failed, I've decided to try using a second IDE HD and duel boot that way with XP...I pray this works...
!