1st time overclocker need a little guidance

cryptics

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Hey guys I am new to overclocking and am using the guide that is stickied as my guide (thank you graysky). Please just help a noob out with a few question. :) I originally posted this on the thread for the guide but figured more people would see it here.

Ok Here is the background on what i have done so far and then I have some questions.

My system
Asus Maximus Formula
e6750
4gb (2x2gb) OCZ Reaper ddr800
Zalman 9700
2 x HD3870 GPU's in crossfire
Coolermaster Stacker 832

For the case I have the front fan as an intake and the three side fans as intake (cannot use the top left fan because the Zalman 9700 only has about a centimeter clearance). The top and rear fans are exhaust and the 2 gpu's both exhaust out the back.

I followed the guide and shut off everything you said to. I started by bringing the chip up to 375fsb with a 8x mulitplier. I then ran prime 95 for 12 hours with great results so I Stepped up 400fsb, 435fsb then finally 450fsb. The ram is set 1:1 so it is at 900 right now. Prime95 has been running for 8 hours so far and no errors. I have the core volt set to auto still as I have not fine tunned yet. It is reading 1.344v in cpuz on idle 1.328 on load. My temps are

Idle c1 28/ c2 32
Load c1 45 / c2 48 (average)

My questions
1. My goal all along was to get to 3.6ghz which i have now done. It seems like everything is going to pass but prime 995 is going to run for at least another 12 hours. With the temps in check still and everything stable should I try to push 3.8 or higher or am I getting greedy?

2. I have heard bad things about the ASUS monitoring tool as it appears to read the wrong temps and volts. I have watched this as it seems the only thing that reports my NB and SB but they jump all around 50 deg to 100deg then back to 48 in a span of a second. Is there a tool I can get that will accurately read them?

3. When I start fine tuning the vcore is there a rule of thumb to start at? Start lower than where it is at load?

Thank you again for the guide and any help you can give me.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
1.) If you have the right cooling, 3.8Ghz is entirely possible.

2.) You can always use a probe to read the temps.

3.) I just use a voltage that is obviously higher than what the cpu really needs. For 3.6Ghz, I would start at 1.45v and go down from there.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Based on the rest of your system, it's not really worth it for you to push the envelope much further in my opinion. Others will disagree, saying that you might as well get your money's worth. But trying to push your processor so far will result in little real world gain (unless you are doing extremely cpu intensive tasks.) at the expense of the processor's lifespan and system stability. At this point in time an e6750@3.6ghz really shouldn't be bottlenecking much of anything based on real world performance benchmarks.

cryptics

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Thank you for the advise. I think you are right Rayzor better not to push it. I am staying at 3.6 and am currently working at getting the vcore optimized. I also need to tweak the Northbridge as I have read that the auto setting on the Maximus Formula sets it way too high. I checked the voltage last night and it was running at 1.6v which is way to high I think.

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

definitely! my NB is @ 1.29v Q6600 @3.24mhz!
what are your NB/SB temps?

cryptics

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
NB 1.6v / 53 deg
SB 1.03v/43 deg

This is what I got by leaving the settings on auto. Must be an issue with the bios