Sign in with
Your question
Closed

3 monitors, 2 LCD 1 Laptop with Docking Station

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2007 3:26:31 PM

I am setting up a triple monitor display with a Dell Latitude D630 hooked up to a docking station. The docking station currently has 2 monitor hookups, one digital and one analog. I have a 17" Dell monitor and a 17" samsung monitor that I would like to hook up to the docking station. If I plug in both displays to the current configuration, I am going to replace my current laptop monitor with one of the 17" monitors, therefore giving me a dual monitor display.

I plan to use a IOGear USB External Video card to connect one monitor to the laptop docking station, the other monitor will connect directly to the docking station. I have heard that hooking up 2 monitors this way can blow up the computer. Is there a driver I need to install before setting this up? Or am I wasting my time with this thought because I cannot install a triple monitor video card.

Here is a link to the product I would like to use:
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC2015...
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2008 3:39:50 PM

I'd be quite surprised if it worked. I can physically hook up 2 external monitors to my laptop, but when they are hooked up, I can only display on any 2 screens at once (both externals, or one external and the laptop screen). I can't extend it to all 3 screens.

EDIT: Or did I misunderstand, and you only want to display on the two externals? If so, it should work just fine.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
November 23, 2008 4:32:11 PM

At work i have 2 LCDs hooked up to my D630 through the docking station and have not had any problems, it also works with my D620.

This has worked on both 2x19" screens and the new 20" widescreens with zero issues.

Would also like to have one more screen.. now THAT will be the trick!
Related resources
January 8, 2009 1:30:54 AM

If you are running vista, your chances are not so good. Reason being, Vista makes you have equivalent driver video cards to to drive multiple monitors. Running an external USB video card in Windows XP should allow you to drive 3 monitors though.
January 8, 2009 1:32:59 AM

One thing you may also want to look into, if you happen to have another laptop sitting around or a PC nearby is maxivista (See maxivista.com). It lets you share the displays of neighboring PCs.
February 19, 2009 1:42:36 PM

Quote:
At work i have 2 LCDs hooked up to my D630 through the docking station and have not had any problems, it also works with my D620.

This has worked on both 2x19" screens and the new 20" widescreens with zero issues.

Would also like to have one more screen.. now THAT will be the trick!

Hi... first post on this site... but what you are describing is exactly what I am trying to set up... D630 outputing to two external LCD's...

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what docking station do you have ?... and what graphics card is in your D630...

Thanks...
July 22, 2009 11:26:42 AM

Use a Matrox DualHead2GO. They make both a digital version and an analog version. Essentially it plugs into your analog output on your dock, and then yo uplug your 2 external monitors into the DualHead2GO. This makes Windows think you're running just 1 external monitor since you're only using one output. The trick is that the 2 external LCDs need to be the same exact size / proportion (say 2 - 19'' Standards or 2 - 19'' widescreens, not one or the other). We use the DualHead2GO for many associates @ my work and it works good. They send software along to manage the 2 external displays because otherwise they will act together as one display in Windows as that's how it is seen based on using one output. This will set you back about $160 for the analog edition - more for the digital.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=11486...
October 28, 2009 11:34:27 PM

I'm trying to set up the same configuration. One of my coworkers has done it and has no problems, but I have the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for mobile, which seems to limit you to only one extra monitor. I'm currently attempting to track down a way to replace this with a graphics driver which will allow multiple external monitors.
November 18, 2009 5:42:09 AM

Im trying to set up the exact same configuration. Has anyone managed to solve it?

Ive got two 20" Dell flat monitors, s Dell Latitude E6500 with at dockingstation. The dock has two DVI-outputs and both my screens works fine.
Now i want to use the laptop screen too. in Windows 7, whenever i switch expands the desktop to the laptop screen, one of the other is disabled automatically.

So, all three screans are detected by Windows 7, but tryong to expand the desktop to the third (laptop) screen just disables one of the other.

Is Windows supposed to handle morte than two screens - i should expect so ;-)

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Esben Rasmussen
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 18, 2009 8:34:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!