Radeon 2600XT audio...can I use it?

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
So, it occurs to me that the audio on my Radeon 2600XT might be better than the Realtek audio I currently have on my motherboard...is there any way to use it as my audio-processing unit?

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I have a question on this also,i'm currently using onboard sound but split into 2 outputs with adapter.1 is to my lcd monitor,and the other is to my tv audio in L+R (Headphone socket adapter to 2 rca male).

But,if i want to use the HD 2600 HDMI output cable going to my lcd monitor giving both video and audio out,will the standard oboard audio out still give sound when connecting it to my tv audio in?

The video out from my video card into my tv is fine,but can i use both HDMI sound and standard onboard audio out at once?

the 2x00 series does not process the audio, it simply passes the HD audio signal through an HDMI connection... for convenience of having both audio and video signals pass through the same cable.

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
So does that mean that the audio is passed through the HDMI cable as well as the standard onboard audio out at the same time?So i can get sound from both lcd monitor with HDMI and TV?

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Here's another thought,if i knew the answer,why would i ask?The fact is i'm wanting to upgrade my lcd monitor,looking for a new 19 inch with HDMI input (my current lcd doesn't have HDMI) BUT as i stated previously,i need to know if i can get audio out on both HDMI cable and onboard audio out to tv at the same time.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I never said you knew the answer. I thought you were sitting there with all of the hardware asking questions, at least thats how it looked from this post
I didn't know that you didn't already have an HDMI monitor. Do you even have the 2600? because you didn't say you didn't have one, but you didn't say you did either. I would send you to AMD/ATIs website but it is atrocious. I took a look and based on these entries in Answer 1 and Answer 2 I don't think that you can use both at the same time. Although the information is so weak I can't be sure. These are Vista specific answers but I would imagine that any insight that can be gleaned from them would apply to XP as well, although there is no guaranty. The whole HD audio doesn't look like it's ready for prime time, you should probably hold off, assuming you don't want to pull all of your hair out.

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Firstly thanks for the links,but both state

"Your support portal session has expired due to inactivity and the requested action has not been completed."

Looking back i guess i should have been more up front and given more info.The fact is i have neither the HDMI monitor or the HD 2600 XT yet,but i'm on the verge of buying the video card and will do so even if the HDMI thing doesn't work out.BUT the monitor is another thing all together,i was hoping someone who allready has a video card with HDMI out and also a HDMI monitor can tell me if i can get both HDMI sound out and standard audio out to work at the same time.

If the answer is no,then i can save myself some time and money on not geting a monitor with HDMI.It will be a shame though because the video card i'm after does have HDMI out an i wanted to use it.

I'm using Windows XP,not Vista.

Edit:Forgot to mention that my Motherboard does have a HDMI out conector on the back GA-MA69GM-S2H and i'm currently using the onboard graphics Radeon x1250.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You have got to love how hard they make getting information and making it available. I pulled screen shots and fixed the links here they are again Answer 1 and Answer 2

Yes I know that is why I said
These are Vista specific answers but I would imagine that any insight that can be gleaned from them would apply to XP as well, although there is no guaranty.

I believe, based on the answers that it's one or the other, HDMI card or on board. Like I said, the info is so sketchy that I can't be sure. You will probably have to do some heavy Googling to pin this down. I don't think it's ready for prime time, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah looking at those updated links,it does look like you can have 1 sound source or the other,but can't have both.Man that sux,i guess the real only way around it when connecting to a HDMI monitor is to just have the HDMI for video only,not sound.Then select onboard audio as source then split into 2 outputs with adapter like i'm doing now.1 to lcd monitor,1 to tv in,but i may have to buy external speakers in order to get sound because when using HDMI as input on the monitor,it may cancel out the standard audio in,who knows?

Having said that,it really defeats the purpose of HDMI then because what about all the people who want an HDMI monitor,but also have another display hooked up to their tv?My tv doesn't have HDMI,just the standard 3 RCA in,Video + Audio L+R

Jaffey8984

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Don't know if this clears anything up (or if you'll ever check to read this) but i just installed an HD2900XT , and when it installs the HD sound it cuts off the other sound. I had to go back and switch my audio device back to my soundblaster.
When ATI HD Audio is set as Audio device, you hear nothing through your other audio device.
I didn't try it with the onboard Realtek driver, but i don't see a reason why it would be any diffrent.

However, i also don't see a reason why rigging some adapters together wouldn't work.... finding some type of HDMI splitter ... running one end to the HDTV and than converting the other end to component cables maybe??? .. at that point it's just a signal anyway right? Hope it works out for you.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
What I don't understand is why you want to have a monitor with HDMI if you want to use your onboard audio. The hd2600 has a dvi port and you use an adapter to add the hdmi w/audio. I have my computer next to my HD tv so I can use my monitor through 1 dvi port and have my tv with hdmi/audio on the other dvi port via the adapter.

peterpcuser

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Thank you very much Jaffey8984,so even though i haven't bought the video card yet,my suspicions on the audio were right.It looks as if after installing that video card,it defaults with it's own ATI HD Audio cancelling out your other audio source.Which basically means when using this audio source,you'll ONLY get sound through the dvi ports (Converted to HDMI with adapter) on the video card.

You know i was thinking this exact same thing if the HDMI did indeed cancel out your other audio source.Now that i know that it definitely will,i've got 2 choices.

1:Simply switch the audio source back to the original (onboard Realtek) and leave the audio setup as i have it now. Using onboard sound but split into 2 outputs with adapter.1 is to my lcd monitor,and the other is to my tv audio in L+R (Headphone socket adapter to 2 rca male).

2.Use the supplied DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to a HDMI monitor giving both video and sound.Now i will have 1 spare DVI port on the back of the video card,again connect the DVI to HDMI adapter giving HDMI.Now i have to figure out a way of converting HDMI to RCA allowing me to plug in both L+R audio RCA male plugs comming from my tv audio in.

Here's the big question,is there such thing as HDMI to RCA?Because if possible,i'd prefer to use the ATI HD Audio instead of the onboard Realtek audio.

Because if i don't use onboard audio and instead use ATI HD audio,how do i get sound to my second display-my tv which DOESN'T have HDMI?

Also i allready have onboard HDMI and i will be geting a new video card soon-ATI HD2600XT which has HDMI,so in either case,onboard video or new video card,both will have HDMI out put so why not take use of the new technology?Besides i will be geting a new monitor with HDMI seeing as i have HDMI out,now should i NOT buy an HDMI monitor simply because i won't be able to get HDMI audio to my second display?

I just hope some genius invents HDMI to RCA.