Jan 15, 2008
Hello, my first time here, i recived my computer couple of days ago
CPU Q6600
MB ASUS Int S775 1066 Commando ATX
VGA XFX 768 PCIe 8800 GTX
DDR2 2*1Gb 800mhz
PSU CM Real Power Pro 850W

Tcase = Idle & Load ??
Tjunction = Idle & Load, hottest Core ??

Variables

Ambient = Room Temp 15~22
Chipset = Model ?
C2Q / C2D = Model ? q6600
CPU Cooler = Model CM Fan RTL Hyper TX Universal
Frequency = CPU Clock 333
Load = Test Program PC Probe II and TAT
Motherboard = Model ASUS INT s775 1066 Commando
Stepping = Revision ?
Vcore = CPU Voltage 1.33V

i read the sticky but it's kinda chinese for me
on internet i read it is possible to overclock q6600 real easy so i started to overclock it from 2.4 to 3ghz

now my question is the temperature monitor i have
TAT says 45C ~ 50C idle
PC Probe II says 21C for the CPU and 40C for MB

when i start 100% CPU 0 and CPU 1 load with TAT the cpu monitor reaches 67C after 3 min, then i stopped because i dont know how high the temperature can go without overheating, PC Probe II was at 44C when i stopped

i don't think i will ever reach 100% CPU load but i just want best performance of my computer with minimum risk of damaging it

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Download CoreTemp, Prime95 or Orthos. Google it, you'll find them easy.

Coretemp is to monitor CPU cores temperature. As for temperature, keep it under 70°C. There's a sticky guide for C2Q temperature

Prime95 or Orthos is to torture the CPU (100% load).

Are you using original heatsink ?

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
when testing with prime95 CoreTemp reaches 77 in core# 3

as folowing
core #0 62C
core #1 63C
core #2 72C
core #3 77C

probe II gives me a warning while testing, that my MB has reached 45C

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
bundled chipset fan? dont know what you mean, is it software from the motherboard or?

a friend of mine who helped me buy my computer said my computer was warning me because the CPU fan was going to slow, he said i should turn of the warning in the BIOS, he knows more about this stuff then me so i did

im not sure wich fan but this is what pc probe II is showing
OPTFAN3 1622RPM
CHASSIS3 1541RPM
PWFAN 2008 RPM

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Wow the difference from coolest to hottest core is 15C ! That to me seems really awkward... Not only that it seems as though 2 cores are much hotter than the other 2, seems really like a nomadic thought process but it seems as though your heat sink isn't installed correctly, like it isn't under full pressure on one side. How did you install the HS? Did you install it in the 1,3,2,4 fashion where you push the pins opposite of each other, also did you install the HSF outside of the case? I have a hyper TX-2 and installed it outside, much easier and that way I can feel/see the pins go all the way through.

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
ah, while i was testing i was playing a game and listening to music

but it still the same

core #0 56~63
core #1 56~62
core #2 61~68
core #3 65~73

i didnt had time to install my cpu, had to modify the case to fit the big videocard, so my friend installed the cpu and fan

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Take a look at this, check on the last image. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-commando_3.html
Asus commando came with a chipset fan. Did you installed it already ?
Maybe it's not necessary to install it, but since you are overclocking, it's better to install it.

As bildo said, the differences between each core temps are high, there's a possibilities that your heatsink aren't properly seated.

How many instances did you run the Prime95 ? did you make sure that it run 4 instances and 1 instance on each core ?

Are there any running background applications such antivirus or defragger ?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
It's always better to keep chips temperature as low as possible, so yes install the fan.

Maybe you can ask your friend to re-seated the heatsink, ask him what kind of thermal grease he'll apply.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I have the same cooler, It's awesome. But ya If done in a hurry, or someone not yourself, you never know if they took the time to take it out and install it 100% as it should. The bad thing is that the HS already came applied with nice paste that will have to be removed and have some other paste used if you do decide to remove it. Also someone did make a good point as to running prime95 on a Quad, I would almost go far enough to say if the difference was 15C, maybe you just didn't have enough threads running. When I run it on my C2D I have 2 threads, make sure you have 4, and for the heck of it run two instances of it and watch the temps.

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
opened my case, and i saw its not possible to fit the small fan, the CPU Fan has some plastic sticking over the heatsink where the fan was supposted to be

my friend doesnt live close by so ill have to do this on my own, there is no movement in the CPU Fan so i think its correctly seated

also had my first system crash while testing with prim95

now not doing anything the temps are 43 42 44 46

maybe i should consider buying a other CPU Fan, any sugestions?

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

how do i do that, i tried to see in the options but theres nothing saying how many threads i want to run or instances

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
downloaded 95.25a

testing now
core 0 58C
core 1 58C
core 2 66C
core 3 68C

reaching
60 60 68 70
now

core 3 was reaching 74C so i stopped the test, dont know how high the temperature is ok
when im not doing anything its at 47C

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
That little plastic thing in the way is actually used to cool the components around the heatsink as well, It's a nifty little design where it sucks fresh cold air over the ram and pushes it through the fins, and some ends up going over the extra's and some goes directly through. I have a 120mm fan directly in back of the case so it really gets a nice vacuum of air going to get the hot air out. Strange though, to idle in mid to high 40's is a little warm. I know my CPU is only a C2D but I idle in the high 20's and I have the same cooler. For case cooling I have a CoolerMaster centurion 5, with it's 80mm intake and 120mm exhaust. Also my PSU has a 120mm sucking air up and out the case as well as it tries to cool itself.

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
there are 3 fans in my computer, 1 from the PSU downwards to the PCU FAN, then the PCU FAN directed to my RAM, and behind that on the back of the PC another FAN as big as the PCU FAN, no idea wich directions they blow

oh forgot there was a FAN infront of the computer too

had that listed in the begin message, 1.34Vcore

when i first set the frequency to 333 i had auto Vcore and in windows PC Probe II said that the Vcore was around 1.4v and that i had to lower it, so i reseted the frequency back to 266 and checked the Vcore in windows wich was 1.34V so in the BIOS i reseted the frequency back to 333 and the Vcore to 1.34v instead of auto

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Ah I would actually open up your case and 'feel' with your hand/fingers which way the air is flowing, sounds dumb but can make a big difference if the flow is not right. The fan on the back of your case should be blowing out so it acts as an exhaust, the fan on the CPU should be blowing air towards the fan on the back of the case, that way they are really pulling together to get the hot air out. The front fans seems about right if its pulling air from outside to inside the case. As far as the Power supply, I believe most if not all suck air up and outside the rear of the case. Like I said get all touchy/feely and see whats going on in there. Also I would use cpu-z to read voltages, although not perfect, it does the job. As long as you don't see a voltage above 1.5V in windows your good, although I believe you shouldn't have to use that much to get 3.6Ghz(But start small like goodie mentioned start with 333x9 to get 3Ghz at around 1.3V). You'll notice the voltage in windows is a bit lower than what you set in BIOS but thats normal.

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
i made a mistake, it wasnt the vcore i had to change but the FSB Termination volage, no idea where its for but PC Probe II complained it was to high, its set to 1.2v

setted the Vcore to 1.3v seems its lower by around 3~5C when idle

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Hmm FSB termination voltage? I'm gonna take a guess and assume thats the FSB voltage setting in the M.I.T. Section of the BIOS. I would leave the FSB voltage and (M)UCH Voltage to normal, IOW, just have all voltages on normal except cpu and ddr2. I personally have never seen them bring me more stability, and just seem to heat things up a bit.

perkuno

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

to many (dunno in english) short names, i dont know what they are

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
asus probe is a load of ****, if your unsure about FSB termination voltage set it to the lowest, which on my board is 1.20V