Yesterday swapped out my aging P5B Deluxe P965 for an ASUS Maximus SE Intel X38. I have wanted VISTA 64 since I installed VISTA 32 the week it came out. Been running a dual boot with VISTA 32 and XP Pro since VISTA was released. rarely if ever used XP pro since VISTA came out. The X38 gives me a chip that will run Penryn next year plus I can install one of the upcoming PCIE 2.0 cards. 8800GT 2.0 is available now, but I may wait for the next series from Nvidia. I think this was a good move to ready my main system for available upcoming hardware upgrades. Highly recommend X38 plus VISTA 64. All my other other hardware including my DDR2 was used. Check my system information for the details. VISTA 64/X38 = nice. :hello:

brewster0101

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I am thinking of upgrading my Gigabyte P35-S3 to the new Asus maximum extreme SE.

The Gigabyte board is ok, but I am on my third as they keep screwing up after a month or two.

I love the idea of the northbridge being water cooled already. This is great because most other good
boards have heat pipes attached to the northbridge heatsink which makes it hard to replace the
northbridge heatsink with a water block...

So NICE one Asus for thinking clearly.

I notice the Asus maximum comes with a small fan too! Does this help push air over the other heatsinks or does having the northbridge connected up to a water set up keep everything nice and cool???

I have great air cooling, so I don't use the water cooling option on the Maximus NB. I have a TT Mozart tower which is water cooler ready if I go that way. The small fan comes with the board and is used to blow air over the CPU area when WC is used. The X38 comes with PCIE 2.0 which I will utalize soon. PCIE 16 has been around for years now. I read the X48 Intel chipset is on the horizon. Anyway, I feel I have made a nice upgrade waiting for Penryn and 9800 Nvidia series. The ASUS maximus X38 SE uses DDR 2. I currently run my 4 GB DDR2 800 mhz. with VISTA Ultimate 64. The board can run DDR2 1033 which I will take advantage of when Penryn is applied! Great new expanded BIOS features on the X38 from ASUS. It is a worthwhile upgrade.

DrMaV

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Me too ... Love my new Asus MF SE.

Got my B3 to 3.6, prime stable, with my PC-5400 at 1066 with 6,5,5,15 timings on 2 sticks and/or DDR2-900 5,5,5,15 on 4 sticks Corsair XMS2 (promos and PSC's). Even got my B3 to 3.74 on air (temps were high though).

My NB, on air, doesn't get hotter than (30-31C).

I really like Vista 64 and 4 gigs. Everything is so smooth compared to my last rig.

Running 0602 bios.

Looking forward to Yorkfield in this X38.

brewster0101

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Go figure, I've actually fixed my Gigabyte board by flashing the bios to an older version.

I am still sure I may get the Asus board though, although maybe worth to see what Nvidia
deal to the consumer market....

Maybe time to wait for all makers to get their products out......

Intersting times lie ahead.