Sign in with
Your question

HDD doesn't appear on "my computer"

Last response: in Storage
May 3, 2008 11:45:14 PM

Hello and thanks for looking at my post. I've looked through the forums and so far haven't found an answer that works for my problem.

recently I added a new HDD into my friend's comp, moved some HDDs into different bays, etc. After I made sure that everything was connected again, I closed it and started Windows XP up. When I went to "my computer", the new drive and another drive I had moved didn't appear. When I open "device manager" and "disc management", the 2 drives are there.

When I formatted the brand new drive in "disc management", it appeared in "my computer" as "New Volume (F:) " and was working. I thought that maybe if I changed the drive letter of the other one it would work, but it won't give that option. When I right click on the drive, the only options I have are "delete partition" and "help". Re-formating the drive isn't an option, since it contains a lot of stuff not easily replaced (I know, always back up your data on CD) and right now I'm stumped. I'd greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

More about : hdd computer

May 4, 2008 12:49:04 AM

What file system was on the other drive? NTFS, FAT32, EXT3?
May 4, 2008 12:55:12 AM

try this chkdsk f: /f
Related resources
May 4, 2008 1:52:40 AM

The drive file structure is NTFS; and, sorry to sound like a paranoid n00b, but what would "chkdsk f: /f" do? The brand new drive I installed, called "New Volume ( F: )" is working fine; it's the one that was in before and working fine that can't be found now.
May 4, 2008 6:55:56 AM

Its a command in command prompt, and it may bring back the drive.
May 4, 2008 7:05:45 AM

From Wikipedia: "CHKDSK (short for Checkdisk) is a command in DOS and Microsoft Windows systems that verifies a hard disk or a floppy disk for file system integrity."
May 5, 2008 12:27:31 AM

Sorry for posting in this thread。 I have a very similar but worse problem. I have a 500G data IDE hard drive (by Seagate) full with useful files without backup. Sometime ago I attempted to move this HDD from my main pc to my HTPC. However, "my computer" in my HTPC didn't recognize this drive even though it showed up in the Bios and "Device Manager". The "Disk Management" displayed it as "Unknowen" and "Uninitialized". Both pcs are running XP Pro and the drive is set to Slave.

To make thing worse, exact same thing happened when I remounted the drive back in my main pc. "My Computer" in my main PC wouldn't recognize this drive either even this drive was installed and run fine in this pc not too long ago.

I will really appreciate any suggestion . Thank you very much.
May 5, 2008 2:24:21 AM

About using chkdsk; how can I tell this command to check a hard drive when the hard drive in question doesn't have an assigned letter? I have no way of assigning it one; it won't let me assign it a letter in "Disk Management".
May 5, 2008 6:46:49 AM

Perhaps you could try accessing the drive through a different OS, namely Ubuntu Linux because you could simply boot off of its CD and run it "Live", or in other words run it off the CD without actually installing the OS.
May 6, 2008 2:54:45 AM

junker5x5 said:
Hello and thanks for looking at my post. I've looked through the forums and so far haven't found an answer that works for my problem.

recently I added a new HDD into my friend's comp, moved some HDDs into different bays, etc. After I made sure that everything was connected again, I closed it and started Windows XP up. When I went to "my computer", the new drive and another drive I had moved didn't appear. When I open "device manager" and "disc management", the 2 drives are there.

When I formatted the brand new drive in "disc management", it appeared in "my computer" as "New Volume (F:) " and was working. I thought that maybe if I changed the drive letter of the other one it would work, but it won't give that option. When I right click on the drive, the only options I have are "delete partition" and "help". Re-formating the drive isn't an option, since it contains a lot of stuff not easily replaced (I know, always back up your data on CD) and right now I'm stumped. I'd greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

Have you tried disconnecting your cd drives? The Hd may be sharing one of the drive letters.
May 6, 2008 7:35:20 PM

My main pc has a SATA dvd drive and I have tried disconnecting dvd drive in HTPC. No luck.
May 6, 2008 11:16:17 PM

First I want to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions; I really do appreciate it.

Haven't tried that yet, but the 2 drives in question are on 1 IDE channel (prime) and the dvd drive is by itself on the secondary IDE channel. I'm planning on trying jumpman's suggestion (although I use Knoppix) and mount the problem drive. The new drive is 750gb, so if this works I'll just move the data from the bad drive to it then worry about re-partitioning and whatnot.

May 10, 2008 8:06:02 PM

Problem solved :)  !!!! (probably)

I tried using Knoppix Ver 3.4 and I could read the data on the messed up drive, but not write to any hard drive (Knoppox automatically sets mounted drives to "read only"). I tried changing the drive's properties to "enable read/write", but Unix has a hard time working with Windows NTFS. There is a way my version of Knoppix to deal with NTFS, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I didn't want to spend even more time trying to find out why, so I downloaded 'Partition Find and Mount' and ran it.

After a little read of the instructions and running a scan on the drive through it, I had the drive showing up in 'My Computer'. Since PF&M doesn't mount a drive so you can write to it, I will be moving all the data to somewhere more stable. It's about 75GB worth of stuff, so it'll take some time but the dozen or so picture, music, and movie files seem O.K.

Once again, thanks to you all for your help and suggestions!
May 11, 2008 12:47:30 AM

what was the drive letter of the HDD that you cant find
!