Comments on my gaming build idea?

mhogan35

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I'm wanting to build me a new computer for gaming (Bioshock/Half Life Ep 2/Crysis), and I'm semi on a budget to a degree... Here's what I have on my list of items to buy, I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on what I'm looking at, and if it's a good idea. Thanks for your time!

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Video Card
XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB XXX

Monitor
SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC (1000:1)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply
COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV

RAM
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

OS
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Here's a link to all of the items on a wishlist, so that you can view more details, if need be... I couldn't find the "XXX" version of the video card on newegg, so I threw in a different version on the following list, just pretend it's the version I have stated above... Thanks again.
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6045031
--Matt

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Hi,

I think u should consider getting an intel Core2 instead of AMD Athlon, especially a Quad core2, Since Crysis and (i think) HL2E2 are optimized for multiple cores. a q6600 would do u well and be more futureproof.

I also suggest waiting a little bit on the graphics card, since Nvidia and ATI will be releasing new cards in a few weeks (8800GT,2950Pro, and hopefully a 8900). buying a new card and finding that it got obsolete in a week or two is annoying (i tasted it).

but if u can't wait, then getting a stock clocked card and overclocking it urself seems much better budget-wise. although u won't be covered by the warranty from most AIB partners.

if u go the Core2 route, an nvidia 650i mobo would be the way to go. it has the performance and the overclocking potential.

i can't say anything about the storage, that's for u to decide. or the RAM, Monitor as i have never read anything about them. u should get a Seasonic PSU instead, as it has a long history of producing efficient AND silent psus.

I'm thinking about buying the same case, let me know ur opinion of it if u get it soon.

- I Hope this helps

*Exits Uber Technician mode*

tlmck

Distinguished
Go core 2 duo, P35 MB, Corsair DDR2 800 ram(CAS4). Forget SLi for a while until it actually becomes something other than a marketing ploy to sell more vid cards.

Also please note, Coolmax = Crap. Get the most expensive Corsair PSU you can afford. Any one of the four will do for a single card system.

All other choices are excellent. You will love the case. Still the best gamer out there IMO.

Summary, if your not going to OC, stick with AMD they are cheaper (generally), if you wanting/going to OC get the Intel e2160/e2180 under $100. Which way do you want to go, so we can suggest things a little more definative than right now. Both AMD/Intel builds that I'm talking about will be close to the same price (roughly), so don't let that sway you too much.

mhogan35

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Hmmmm... I was leaning towards AMD, but since people seem to be mentioning Intel more often, I definitely wouldn't mind looking into that. I already have the RAM, but everything else is still on my "wish list" of items to buy, so they're all toss ups still as to what exactly I'll be getting there. Thanks again for all the help yall are giving, it's much appreciated...
--Matt