Aug 21, 2007
Hello Everyone,

Heres my new system spec:

Motherboard
EVGA nForce 780i SLI nForce 780i (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz
Memory
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (x2)
Cooler
Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler
Case
CoolerMaster Stacker 832 - Black Trim (No PSU)
GFX Card
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB SSC GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-212D 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter
Network
Belkin F5D7001UK 125Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapter
Power Supply
850W Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS-850
HDD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 5000AAKS SATA-II 16MB Cache

Although im not settled on the HDD. My question is, case fans, ive never ever had to put in additional case fans before, but my new case supports 9!

1) Where does the power come from to support 9 fans?
2) Whats the best way to wire it?
3) Fan controllers typically only control 4 fans, is there a way to control sets of fans?

What I would like to do is get something like the Zalman ZM-MFC2 fan controller:
Fan 1 - The 4 window fans,
Fan 2 - Roof/Floor
Fan 3 - Rear
Fan 4 - Front

Whats the easiest, and most importantly the cleaning way of doing this? Is there any decent articles on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
It's called a Soldering Iron.

Strip the wires and wire them together and run them off one header on a Rheobus. Each header is rated for 20W and will control the voltage for any fan connected. I use it for 3 of my case fans on a single header. (In theory you can use 5 0.3 Amp Fans per header, but I wouldn't use more than 4).

The power comes from the PSU.. in the case of the Rheobus a 12v Wire from the Universal Molex Connector.

I'm not a big fan of those 4 side fans. It causes turbulence... but if you REALLY want to do it... I'd suggest:

Front: Low RPM Yate Loon (Just HDD Cooling, they don't need much).
Roof

Side: 4 Medium Yate Loons (All Wired Together)

Top/Rear: 2 High Speed Yate Loons (All Wired Together)

Then control the CPU fan off a channel.

What you do:

Get a pin remover (ShopPTS.com) and pull the wires out of the fan connector. Get a seperate wire connector for the Yellow wire (sense) to plug it into the motherboard so you can get a reading. All fans should run +/- 10% of each other at X voltage.

Wire the power wires together and plug them into a header. Done and done.

You can get as snazzy with the wiring or as simple as you want.

stevenafc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks alot for the replies. The side fans im also unsure about. I think what I may try and do is have intake fans on the front and bottom of the case with exhaust fans at the top, and back of the case.

Thanks for your time again

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Good option.

Or just sleeve and solder so it looks good and ends up cleaner since everything is cut to length.

You have your way, I have mine. :)

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Lol.. true I kinda forget about that part. Not everyone has access to that kind of stuff or the desire or knowledge to do it.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
One more tip...I have the same EVGA motherboard (which I am happy with) but the included Nvidia chipset fan is freakin' loud. Far louder than any of my 120mm case fans--even louder than my wife.

While you are doing all of this fan work, I would highly recommend spending the 4 dollars to get a replacement. A 60mm fan is the right size, and it can be zip-tied in place if you go around the cooling pipe. It will make for a much quieter system, plus give you better cooling to boot.

*EDIT*: I didn't mean to resurect this old thread. It was on the homepage's forums sidebar, and I didn't see the date.