My system just hiccupped and died

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
The Situation
Today I was surfing the Internet when suddenly my computer stopped. I thought it was about to go into a spontaneous reboot, but it did not, in fact, reboot or shut down. My screen went blank, and in a few seconds my monitor's light turned yellow indicating that had nothing to show me. The system itself was totally unresponsive, and I had to hold in my power button for a few seconds to shut it down.

The Background
This computer has served me faithfully for over four years. It's got an Asus P4P800 mobo with a P4 2.4/800 processor, 1GB of Kingston HyperX RAM, an ATI 9500 Pro video card, and a 120GB Hitachi hard drive. It's had a few hiccups recently, but I thought they were pretty well solved once I tried out Diskkeeper. In general, I've had little to no trouble with it that I haven't caused myself by trying to punch out Osama bin Laden to win a free XBox. Last hard drive format was about six months ago, and I don't see how this is the result of a power surge. I keep a pretty good surge protector in use, and there was no indication of a surge based on what other electronic devices around me were doing. And I didn't really try to punch out Osama bin Laden, that would just be dumb.

The Symptoms
When I now turn the computer on, the fans (cpu, chassis, etc.) start spinning. The green light on my chassis is solid, and so is the yellow light just below it. The hard drive does not spin up, and the optical drives are unresponsive. The monitor's light remains yellow, and that's about it. I have to hold the power button in for a few seconds to turn it off, but as described, there's not a lot going on when I do turn it on.

The Questions
Something seems to have gone bad on its own. I think. I hadn't messed with anything inside the chassis for a couple of months. I very much hope that it isn't my hard drive, but I don't know how to determine what component(s) might have kicked the bucket. The mobo has to be okay since the fans start spinning, right? And the video card has to be okay since that would only affect the video output, right? Could this be my processor burning itself out? Or has the worst happened and I've killed my hard drive? How do I tell without another system to test on?

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
You mean CPU, right? I think I can do this with a friend's processor, but given that I have no idea what has gone wrong with my machine, is there any chance I may screw up their unit by doing so?

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
Hmm, hadn't even thought about the power supply. If it went though, would I still be getting some power to the fans and lights?

tomfool

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Same exact symptoms happened to me. Only difference was my optical drives would still blink. My board is an Asus P4C800E Deluxe,I gig Ocz ram, P4 3.4, Asus X800XTPE, 2 Plextor Opticals, 2 Raptors,
Audigy 2, cheapo Alien case with Crapppy Aspire PSU.
Yanked out my video card and turned rig on ! Got 2 or 3 beeps that I didn't get before. Hmmmmm ? Tossed in old but good Vid card I had layin around and all was Fine ! Tested X800XTPE in another rig with same result, MY VID CARD WAS CRAPPED OUT. I was surprized that it wasn't that P.O.S. psu, but wondered if it might have led to it's demise so I changed my psu also. Got these goodies and am VERY happy with both ! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161082
Good luck with your rig

I had a P4P800 in my old PC that I gave to my Fiance and as long as the little green light on the mobo is on then everything is good. And I highly doubt its the mobo as I have had mine for 5 years and never a problem.

But the fact that your fans spin up means there is some power but then again it might just be putting out enough to power up the fans. I would suggest taking all the components out and connect them one at a time to see if it is the PSU.

If so you can get a 550watt that would be able to handle a new CPU/video card when you decide to build one for about 70 bucks.

And don't forget to do a good old fashioned dust cleaning while you are at it. Unless you bought a case with filters(ex: Thermaltake Xaser III series) or bought some seperately its best to go in and clean it out once a month especially if you live in the desert like me. Dam Arizona and its dust.

Well best of luck to you.

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
So given the need to narrow down this problem, I conscripted my brother's computer for help. I thought my processor was done after I pulled it and found it quite stuck to the heatsink, but on putting in my brother's system, it booted just fine.

The problem appeared to be my video card, as his system had the same symptoms as mine when I put my old 9500 Pro into his AGP slot. Unfortunately, putting his video card in my AGP slot did not change anything. Only difference is that his video card's fan plugged into my mobo will spin, and mine will not. So it looks like my video card is fried, and worse, my AGP slot is done even if the rest of my mobo is okay.

This kind of sucks since I intended to create a whole new system in about six months or so, after I start my new job and have some income again. The prospect of putting nearly $200 into this old thing does not make me happy, but neither does spending way more on a new system. If anyone has ideas past Newegg or Pricewatch for replacing either part, I'd love to hear it.

tlmck

Distinguished

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
Too bad my processor is a socket 478 instead of a 775 or I'd grab that motherboard in a heartbeat. I'm having a pretty impossible time finding a motherboard that will take my processor and doesn't have some weird quality to it (doesn't support HT, wrong form factor for my chassis, etc.). I haven't been paying attention to the technology in recent years either, so I don't know what I would even want in a new system. If I get a motherboard that takes a socket 775 processor, will something new be on the way shortly thereafter?

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
Alright, I think I may have found something to solve my problem but I need some help: http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8197

I can use all my current hardware. I think. Can I use DDR RAM in a motherboard that wants DDR2? And Are they seriously suggesting that I need a P4 Prescott rather than a Northwood? I'm pretty sure a P4 is good in whatever socket has the right number of pins. It's micro ATX, which is new to me, but a friend can give me a new case if mine isn't compatible. Last question: How efficient/inefficient is integrated video (and for that matter, what about onboard audio)?

tlmck

Distinguished

Sorry they had so many P4's I lost track a long time ago. You could take the MB and Vid card I suggested, add this processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037. I also have to assume your current ram is DDR400?

The completed system with your other components would be a nice upgrade. And yes, the new chip is faster than your old P4. The explanation is kind of lengthy.

tlmck

Distinguished

This PC Chips motherboard you found will work spec wise. The Asrock 775 MB I found supports DDR and DDR2, giving you an upgrade path.

The PC Chips board only supports DDR which will be fine for what you have. If this board fixes your problem, then it would obviously be the cheapest route. Be forewarned though, PC Chips is not exactly known for quality.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It does say possibly out of stock. You should call before you get excited. I was looking for a board a while ago and there were none to be had. If you find one post it.

tlmck

Distinguished

They have it at Newegg and Microcenter same price.