Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but only with a BIOS update. If you buy a board, you'd better have an older processor to use for updating BIOS. Check with the motherboard manufacturer for specifics about its latest BIOS before buying.

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Oh crap, really? I wanted to build a new computer soon, that sucks. Um.... What do I do if I don't have a LG775 socket PC?

I was looking at the Asus Striker Extreme or perhaps one of the EVA, would they ever shipped updated boards, how would I check for that?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you need to update BIOS using an older model processor and you don't have one to spare...maybe you could buy one from a used parts store and return it afterward. Or you could pay a shop to flash the BIOS for you, since they have processors.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

The BIOS update should be able to be done on the new CPU it just wont know what it is... ie. wont give you the name or correct FSB or multiplier but it should still post allowing you to update. In my experience anywayz

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Yikes, quite the problem is. Hate to take the risk if I cant get my hands on an older processor. But if 780I comes out in early 2008, I'll assume they'll be Penryn supported already.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Asus uses a socket for the BIOS chips on some of their boards (P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme included) which allows you to get a BIOS chip from Asus and replace the existing one in case of a bad flash or incompatability. My P5N is the first board I've come across with this type of socket so I'm not sure how many other companies are doing the same.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Ahhh ASUS always innovating nice feature... but one would thing with the whole redunancy and profile based options that they build in if this is required (spose it would help in the unsupported CPU scenario)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Innovating? The BIOS socket? PC Chips used those on cheap boards in the 1990's. It's a nice feature but far from innovation. Up until last year I was belittling any board (including some Asus boards) that DIDN'T have a replaceable BIOS chip. But by around 18 months ago so many models had removed it that I didn't bother any more.