Sign in with
Your question

680i and penryn

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2007 8:00:53 PM

Will 45nm Intel penryn processors work on the 680i chipset?

More about : 680i penryn

a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2007 9:04:41 PM

Yes, but only with a BIOS update. If you buy a board, you'd better have an older processor to use for updating BIOS. Check with the motherboard manufacturer for specifics about its latest BIOS before buying.
November 3, 2007 10:14:36 PM

Thx for the info. I figured thats probably how it would work.
Related resources
November 3, 2007 10:32:37 PM

would a gigabyte p35 need a bios update as well?
November 3, 2007 10:54:48 PM

thanks for the link, sure that cleared up a lot of questions for everybody.
November 7, 2007 12:32:55 PM

Oh crap, really? I wanted to build a new computer soon, that sucks. Um.... What do I do if I don't have a LG775 socket PC?

I was looking at the Asus Striker Extreme or perhaps one of the EVA, would they ever shipped updated boards, how would I check for that?
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2007 6:46:04 PM

If you need to update BIOS using an older model processor and you don't have one to spare...maybe you could buy one from a used parts store and return it afterward. Or you could pay a shop to flash the BIOS for you, since they have processors.
November 7, 2007 9:19:11 PM

Crashman said:
Yes, but only with a BIOS update. If you buy a board, you'd better have an older processor to use for updating BIOS. Check with the motherboard manufacturer for specifics about its latest BIOS before buying.

The BIOS update should be able to be done on the new CPU it just wont know what it is... ie. wont give you the name or correct FSB or multiplier but it should still post allowing you to update. In my experience anywayz
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2007 11:50:00 PM

That depends on what the BIOS update actually does. I've seen a few times in past boards where the system wouldn't even POST with the unsupported CPU.
November 8, 2007 1:29:53 AM

Yikes, quite the problem is. Hate to take the risk if I cant get my hands on an older processor. But if 780I comes out in early 2008, I'll assume they'll be Penryn supported already.
November 8, 2007 1:54:22 AM

Asus uses a socket for the BIOS chips on some of their boards (P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme included) which allows you to get a BIOS chip from Asus and replace the existing one in case of a bad flash or incompatability. My P5N is the first board I've come across with this type of socket so I'm not sure how many other companies are doing the same.
November 8, 2007 8:45:33 PM

ausch30 said:
Asus uses a socket for the BIOS chips on some of their boards (P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme included) which allows you to get a BIOS chip from Asus and replace the existing one in case of a bad flash or incompatability. My P5N is the first board I've come across with this type of socket so I'm not sure how many other companies are doing the same.

Ahhh ASUS always innovating nice feature... but one would thing with the whole redunancy and profile based options that they build in if this is required (spose it would help in the unsupported CPU scenario)
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2007 12:13:06 AM

Innovating? The BIOS socket? PC Chips used those on cheap boards in the 1990's. It's a nice feature but far from innovation. Up until last year I was belittling any board (including some Asus boards) that DIDN'T have a replaceable BIOS chip. But by around 18 months ago so many models had removed it that I didn't bother any more.
!