Athlon 64 X2 6000

savery

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hi all,

I'm running an athlon 64 x2 2000, which I upgraded from a 2.0 ghz chip. My questions are as follows:

Temperature seems to be running around 145 degrees F under heavy usage. I've checked the specs and this seems to be right at the limit. Any opinions on using a different heatsink or fan?

I have an asus (made for HP) with an award bios. The bios doesn't recognize the chip. It calls it an unkown AMD, but lists the proper frequency. Should I be concerned about this as far as voltages, etc. or just leave it?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Scott

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You're right. The temperature does seem high. I am no expert as far as aftermarket heatsinks and fans goes, but I think Zalman offers some decent models.I wouldn't be too concerned about the BIOS not recognizing the CPU correctly if everything is working fine.A BIOS update might fix this, but have also been known to cause other problems.So flashing the BIOS isn't really recommended.

savery

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Well I went out to micro center and after an hour of debating and sifting through both water and conventional CPU coolers I ended up with something that looks like a copper flower. This actually lowered the temperature by 10 degrees F. It was kind of funny - after playing a game it dropped down to the 90s in about 5 minutes. (it ran in the 90s with the stock heatsink.)

I'm still looking for cooler. Anyone ever used a water cooling kit?

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Glad you got a cooler that made a difference in your temps. I've used watercooling before.It lowered my temps substantially, especially on GPU that made use of a passive cooling solution.I don't really think watercooling is that neccessary unless you are planning to overclock your system.