Sign in with
Your question

Saving some money on a linux build....HELP

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2007 11:10:16 PM

So my next computer that I am building is gonna be mainly for linux. I got a case and a psu already. Really don't want to spend to much money. I got these parts already;
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Produc...
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Produc...

Was gonna get this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But I know linux does not like ati cards, right?

So my questions is should I get an E2140, and just overclock the cpu to high speeds? Intel Fanboy.
I don't want to go over $600 more dollars.
What parts would you all recommened. Thanks for the time.
Paq

October 9, 2007 11:35:12 PM

Actually, AMD/ATI open-sourced their video drivers. Expect better drivers to come.

I compared the cheapest overclocking AMD & INTEL builds. They are about the same prices. I was looking at AM2 5000+ BLACK (multiplier-unlocked) + Biostar 7025/7050 matx board (very good o/c boards). The cpu is $125-ish whereas the board is $70-ish. The e2140 is $70-ish whereas a good P35 o/c'ing board is over $100. The 5000+ black has been reported to o/c to 3.5ghz at stock voltage. e2140 can be o/c'ed 100% & beyond. With good cooling that is.

The e2140+DS3L is a bit cheaper & very easy to overclock. The AM2 overclocking is a good experience. I think you know which way to go.
a b 5 Linux
October 9, 2007 11:51:58 PM

currently Nvidia drivers are like 1000x better than anything ATI has to offer on linux. I would stick with them and save your self a headache.
Related resources
October 10, 2007 12:38:15 AM

MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Vid Card - Http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Vid card is out of stock but will be in stock soon. Cannot recommend EVGA due to noisy fan. Went E2180 as it is only $18 more.

Good case but bad quality power supply. I would not try to run anything more than a 7600 series on it, assuming it works at all. Cheap power supplies are only suggested for basic systems with built in video, and even then I do not trust them. I do trust this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

For Linux distros I suggest Ubuntu 7.04, or PCLinuxOS 2007. I run them both on new and old hardware and both are near flawless.
a b 5 Linux
October 10, 2007 12:46:36 AM

ubuntu is for kiddies... get a real distro... namely debian.
October 10, 2007 2:44:40 AM

thanks for the replies. I was going to get a 7600gt, the Evga one. Oh and the linux of my choice is Mandriva or Fedora.
October 10, 2007 3:42:44 AM

lol, Linux is for kiddies. Go with FreeBSD. Or if you're somewhat new to the UNIX world, get DesktopBSD. BSD is so much cleaner than Linux, not to mention it holds most of the longest recorded uptimes (ie it's incredibly robust). It also has the advantage that it can execute virtually any Linux program.

If you MUST go with Linux, Debian is the most stable. If you're a complete noob to Linux, try SimplyMepis, or openSuSE. They will handle a lot of stuff for you... kinda like Windows.

The thing that irks me about Linux is everything feels like it was more-or-less "glued" together at the last minute.

For more info, read: http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bs...
October 10, 2007 12:02:30 PM

lol OSes are for n00bs. Code your own.

BSD is cleaner as in directory hierarchy? Debian is very close to BSD in that regard, but scares off a lot of newcomers.

Linux is like a snap-on kit whereas BSD is like a scale model kit.
October 10, 2007 1:05:26 PM

Do it the Real Warrior Way: get a Linux-based distro, and replace Linux (the kernel) with a PC-BSD kernel!
Kidding apart, there's how it stands:
- Intel provides open-source drivers for Xorg (the Unix graphical interface) with fully accelerated 3D
- Nvidia provides a poor open-source 2D driver, and very good proprietary 3D drivers for their whole hardware range. Installing them is not for noobs though.
- Ati provides a poor proprietary 3D driver, and up till last month, no Free driver. A reverse engineered driver, based on incomplete specs released years ago, was able to make hardware upt to X1650 work in 2D and in 3D. Since then though, AMD has started releasing specs for r600 and lower, with a skeleton driver which has seen very fast pick-up.

In short: at this rate, we'll get a fully accelerated, built-in 2D and 3D driver for all of AMD/Ati's hardware by Christmas. Meaning that right now, Nvidia still is the way to go, but this won't hold true in the coming months.
October 10, 2007 8:36:42 PM

Gonna look into FreeBSD. Any good site to learn it on? I just downloaded it. Have been wanting to play with Unix for a while.
October 14, 2007 3:16:45 AM

www.freebsd.org. You can read the handbook, which is very useful and extensive.

FreeBSD does not have a "pretty" installer, so don't judge it based on that. If that's what you want, download DesktopBSD, which IS just FreeBSD with a couple of easy-to-use tools added on. (ie it's not a fork of FreeBSD.) But as far as UNIX is concerned, I find BSD superior to Linux in most aspects.
October 14, 2007 4:43:46 AM

mitch074 said:
Do it the Real Warrior Way: get a Linux-based distro, and replace Linux (the kernel) with a PC-BSD kernel!
Kidding apart, there's how it stands:
- Intel provides open-source drivers for Xorg (the Unix graphical interface) with fully accelerated 3D
- Nvidia provides a poor open-source 2D driver, and very good proprietary 3D drivers for their whole hardware range. Installing them is not for noobs though.
- Ati provides a poor proprietary 3D driver, and up till last month, no Free driver. A reverse engineered driver, based on incomplete specs released years ago, was able to make hardware upt to X1650 work in 2D and in 3D. Since then though, AMD has started releasing specs for r600 and lower, with a skeleton driver which has seen very fast pick-up.

In short: at this rate, we'll get a fully accelerated, built-in 2D and 3D driver for all of AMD/Ati's hardware by Christmas. Meaning that right now, Nvidia still is the way to go, but this won't hold true in the coming months.

For Debian based distros, there is a way for noobs to install video drivers. http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Works extremely well in Ubuntu 7.04.

October 14, 2007 4:48:18 AM

badger101101 said:
But as far as UNIX is concerned, I find BSD superior to Linux in most aspects.

Except for lazy guys like me. It is rock solid stable though. That is until you paste the MacOS interface on top of it and load it on a Mac. :pt1cable: 
October 14, 2007 5:58:40 AM

MacOS may have originated from BSD UNIX, but as far as I'm concerned, they have very little in common. It shames me to think that such an OS could have originated from BSD.
October 14, 2007 7:08:13 AM

Well, I'm a Fedora man, myself, but... I don't think you'll have issues with ATI, as long as you're willing to look around a little.
October 14, 2007 10:11:15 AM

SiriusStarr said:
Well, I'm a Fedora man, myself, but... I don't think you'll have issues with ATI, as long as you're willing to look around a little.

ATI does drivers for Redhat and Suse. They run fine on Fedora and Open Suse.

I just prefer the look and feel of the "out of the box" PCLinuxOS 2007. Been running it since the May final without the slightest hiccup. I still use Ubuntu 7.04 x64 also, but PCLos is the main.
October 14, 2007 1:05:22 PM

Livna has an rpm for Fedora 7 to automatically install the Nvidia Drivers. Install, reboot, no problems...
October 14, 2007 3:00:32 PM

Become a pirate and get yourself Windows.
October 14, 2007 3:07:37 PM

I use Linux exclusively at home and I'm stuck with an ATI video card in this laptop... ugh... talk about misery. No eye candy for me!
October 15, 2007 12:42:00 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Become a pirate and get yourself Windows.

Warez up, me hearties. Yo ho. :D 

October 15, 2007 12:48:03 AM

You can get a windows Vista install disk free from M$ but it cost $7.00 for shipping. You just gotta get a product key number.

Cough Vista Bios Hack Cough!!!!
October 15, 2007 5:55:49 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
You can get a windows Vista install disk free from M$ but it cost $7.00 for shipping. You just gotta get a product key number.

Cough Vista Bios Hack Cough!!!!

For free!!!! Still overpriced. :sol: 
October 15, 2007 8:35:12 AM

They say when you play Windows install disk backwards you hear demonic messages.

That's nothing >>>

When you play it forwards, it installs Windows. :pt1cable: 

//////////////////////////////////////

I tried almost every Linux distro available, just experimenting.

Now I'm running Vector Linux (dual boot with XP), based on Slackware, it's lightning fast, and you have everything bundled, xvid/divx/mp3 playback (xine, mplayer, amarok and then some), nv drivers, and hw detection worked great for me.
October 15, 2007 9:12:41 AM

@rodney_ws: which version of Radeon Mobility do you have in your laptop? If it's X1600 or lower, the Free driver should already work well enough to give you some eye candy - otherwise, just be patient: the Free driver will soon get much, much better and cover more hardware: AMD has released specs and a skeleton driver for r500 and r600.
October 16, 2007 5:08:02 AM

Ok. So should I get 533ram 2gb x2sticks and an E2160? How high can I overclock? Or different ram will give superior results? Also what board. I was looking into gigabytes cheapies. Another thing is I am gonna go with learning FreeBSD slowly. I don't want to use vista at all until a service pack update. Thanks.
October 16, 2007 7:53:07 AM

Since you already know Gigabyte, stick with that. Just build yourself a cheaper version of what you already have. Go with 2gb DDR2 800, although I have never even maxed out 1gb on any Linux box. I just got the 2gb kit because it was so cheap.

After you get it built, read this. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2...
October 16, 2007 12:06:04 PM

^^^ seconded. 800mhz minimum. 533 is a rip-off imo. Unless it is kingston which use micron d9 chips :)  Reason is with 800mhz ram you have more headroom for overclocking to even 1:1 ratio. With 533, you'll be stuck at 266-ish. Multiply that by the cpu multiply & you get the max o/c.
!