Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
First some info.: I got 2 x WD Raptor 80GB Harddisks set in a RAID 0 setup used for gaming, I'm having several Harddisks where my OS system is running XP with SP1 & 2 installed plus all drivers.
My problem is currently that my Computer is running VERY slow when I'm connecting the 2 x WD Raptors, it starts up although it takes around 5 - 10 min. Aprox.
When I connect the Harddisks, they show up in "My Computer", "BIOS" and so on, although I can't open them. At "Avalible Space" & "Total Size" (Not sure if they are named such, since I'm from Denmark and running with Danish version, although I hope you know what I mean) there is just Blank.
I then tried clicking into "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Disk Management" to activate the Disks and I noticed there wasn't standing NTFS nor the Size like on my other Harddisks in the control panel which fustrates me.
When I click on the Harddisks "D:\", Windows pops up with a message displaying.:

"D:\ is not accessible"
"The request could not be executed, since an I/O-unitfailure has occured" (Not knowing the true translation of the word.)

Hopeing for some quick respone, thanks in advance.
// Ist.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
You mean that they are Toast, Busted, Totally Down...? Even tho I can see them in "My Computer" and such, although not being able to Click On Em'?

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
From my understanding, a single raptor should be good enough. A RAID array of raptors will make things faster, but there is a point where it won't bring any more real world performance other than 1-5 FPS.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

I understand this, although that was not my question, I'm just not sure if they are dead or not since my computer can see them in "My Computer" although being very slow which sux...!

Since they *were* running in RAID 0, if the array has been broken, there is nothing on the either of the drives that can be accessed by your PC. You will need to completely reformat both of them, 1 at a time to use them again.
Or, you can try resetting them back up in the original RAID array. If you are very lucky, the controller may pick the original array back up, but don't bet on it.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I see, thanks for the quick response.

Now, how do I format a HDD I can't get into, by BIOS or? :S Kinda noob at this you hear...

Did you have the RAID array setup on your PC, or was it on someones else's PC and they have given you the HDD's? If it was setup on your PC, the first thing you will have to do is take the drives off of the RAID controller, or disable RAID in your BIOS and set them up as regular drives.
By the way, are these ide or SATA drives? If they are IDE (which I suspect that are) make sure you have them set as master and slave correctly.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I did the RAID array setup myself on my own computer, and the WD Raptors are both SATA Drives so there is not complications regarding Master/Slave if I'm correct?
Now my MB supported RAID setups (ASUS P5W DH Deluxe) which had a CD with some "Easy-RAID-Setup" which gave me the options to skip the BIOS fiddleing - although I used the BIOS way...
So what are my options?