Sign in with
Your question

Intel have X38 what does AMD and Nvidia have?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Nvidia
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2007 6:20:49 AM

After a little information here....

I have been looking at buying a new top of the range mobo. Currently tempted to buy the Asus Maximus SE with on board water cooling as this would suite me perfectly....

But any one know what plans AMD and Nvidia have to challenge the X38 chip set? The X38 won't support SLi so this is a slight drawback as the 8800GT is what I plan to go with it.

Cheers

More about : intel x38 amd nvidia

November 4, 2007 11:59:49 AM

main difference between the P35 and the X38 are two things 1) PCI 2.0 and 2) features (OC profiles, cpu lvl up feature, etc...). The x38 is geared towards the Over clocker but the P35 slightly trails behind, in some cases slightly above, the X38 in terms of performance. But to your question:

AMD:
AMD needs nothing. Intel currently has the license to have ATI's Cross Fire on thier boards. And since AMD owns ATI they don't need to bring anything to the table since Intel is doing all the work for them. In fact the X38 further helps AMD cause now thier Crossfire can run in full 16x as opposed to 4X to 8X like they did on the P35 boards. AMD simply provides chipsets for thier Intel boards to bring out the Crossfire features. Future wise? ATI is toying around with 4-way Crossfire but don't expect to see that technology for some time given AMD/ATI's slow turn around.

Nvidia:
Begining in Q1 2008 Nvidia will start rolling out it's new 780i mobos. The 780i is speculated to be basically a rereshed version of the 680i chipset but now allowing 3 way SLI. Yep you heard right. These new 780i's will come with 3 PCI-E (unknown if they are 2.0 or not) slots running at full 16X. So technically it'll be possible to run 3 cards at once. Now at this point such a set up is not possible with any cards but the GTX/Ultra cards because these are the only cards that have 2 SLI connectors cause each nvidia card has 1 SLI connector but for a 3 way set up you need 2 of them on the card. And no, the 8800GT though new, doesnt have 2 SLI connectors. Basically a 3way set up works like this: card 1 connects to card 2 via a SLI bridge, card 2 connects to card 3 via a second bridge and card 3 connects to card 1's second sli connector via another sli bridge. Now this may change cause i have been seeing pics of a long SLI brigde with 3 sli connectors on it so they may not need 3 separate bridges (take a look: http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=68461).

If your going to go Nvidia the Maximus board is a good board but don't expect to run 2 cards in it. Some have said that 2 cards in SLI theoritically works on x38 boards but that subject is up in the air. No idea if the PCI 2.0 cards in the market are really set up to take the full advantage of power of a PCI 2.0 bus but we'll see as time goes. As for drawbacks i don't see one. Just cause the X38 don't run in SLI doesnt mean the card will suffer. Remember before the X38's we all used P35 boards and did we see less performance cause they lacked SLI? Nope. So don't hestite simply on the fact the board lacks SLI. If SLI is your only goal either wait for the 780i boards next year or buy you a 680i board now. If SLI is not your goal then by all means buy the Maximus.
November 4, 2007 7:23:29 PM

wingsofzion is right if you dont plan on doing SLI then there is no advantage to having one... infact in single card performance the P35 and x38 actually outdo the 680i most of the time. I think SLI is a bit of a waste on a resolution any lower then 1920x1200 as it will see little to no improvement. Id suggest buying the 8800GT and when then starts to run to slow for your liking upgrade to a new awesome single card solution.

You know i never noticed that the GTX/Ultras had 2 SLI ports... obviously i dont pay much attention lol
Related resources
November 6, 2007 9:43:52 AM

Yeah, there is a good relationship between Intel and AMD/ATI in chipset side against nVidia.
November 6, 2007 5:49:25 PM

I see Biostar are the first to release a motherboard on the AMD 770 chip set.

Looks nice and simple. No over kill features and looks like it would be simple to cool.....

Looking forward to see what Asus through out at the top of the range series for this chip....

November 6, 2007 9:38:30 PM

Your completly forgetting about the 790fx chipset. Do some research on it. I personally am looking at my next build being a Phenom x4 just because of the chipset.
November 7, 2007 5:36:56 AM

Whats so good about the 790 chip set?
November 7, 2007 7:06:52 AM

whats so good about the x38 chipset num nut -

and by the wayt whats so good about your rig and weak oc brewster - what u brewing hey - its sure smelly
November 7, 2007 12:53:15 PM

I was planning to build a new Penryn system this winter and get (at the moment) a 8800GT and down the road in a few years, upgrade to a second 8800GT. My fairly* new LCD is 1280 x 1024, so that is the resolution I plan to always play at. Would SLI in a few years help me still acheive max performance on that sort of resolution, or do you guys think that just ditching the card and getting a newer/faster one will be a better buy? If that is the case, I'd go for a x38 rather then a 680i board. What do you think?

I also just discovered this problem by reading another forum post, but apparently the 680I boards will need to be flashed to work on the Penryn? My old computer now is a P4, so I don't have a LG775 socket PC...so how would I manage to flash the board without a processor? If I have to wait until winter for a possible 780I board, will it support Penryn?

November 7, 2007 4:03:59 PM

wernerdb2 said:
whats so good about the x38 chipset num nut -

and by the wayt whats so good about your rig and weak oc brewster - what u brewing hey - its sure smelly

The internet should be barred from people under the age of 21 !
November 7, 2007 4:38:48 PM

performance of all bench's I've seen comparing X35, X38 and 680i SLI, the performance difference for ALL of them was within the margin of error. In essence they are all about the same. Some can argue one or the other may be 2 - 3 fps better at this or that but over all they trade blows. You should still go with 680i for full SLI or wait for 780i. FYI, the 680i now has very mature bios, is completely stable platform and already has three PCI-E slots two at 16X and 1 in the middle at 8X for video cards originally intended for 3X video cards. Those haven't emerged yet. For low res, you don't need SLI, for balls to the wall SLI with high end video cards...yes, you do.
November 7, 2007 5:33:23 PM

Based the latest AMD 790FX chipset, which offers 32 PCI-Express 2.0 lanes spread over either two x16 or four x8 slots. This is AMD's equivalent to the Intel X38 chipset which also offers some of the same features.

The K9A2 Platinum supports both new AM2+ and AM2 processors: either Phenom, Athlon or Sempron, and has four PCI-Express x16, two PCI and one PCI-Express x1 slot (Allowing QUAD Crossfire setup). HyperTransport 3.0 supporting speed up to 2600MHz before is upto 1600Mhz only. AMD still uses DDR2 memory but with socket AM2+ and Phenom, 1,066MHz will be considered fairly 'standard.'

Other on-board features include a Realtek Gigabit Ethernet port, Realtek High-Definition audio, ten USB 2.0, two VIA 6308P Firewire and six SATA 3Gbps ports - two of which are from a PCI Promise controller. Powering most all of this is the antiquated ATI SB600 chipset, which fortunately has a single IDE channel but only four native SATA 3Gbps ports.

MSI K9A2 Platinum

Sorry I use MSI coz I am an MSI fanboi.. ^_^

Why MSI?
1. Stable, Reliable, and Durable
2. Faster at stocked CPU speed setting at most boards.
3. It automatically overclocks itself upto 12%.
4. Less buggy features compared to other board brands at first release.
5. Price is enough.
***hopefully MSI will give me a christmas gift like this kind of mobo by telling this. ^_^ ***
November 7, 2007 5:47:08 PM

The 790fx used with a Phenom X4 cpu allows you to individually clock each core separately (wich no intel is capable of). It also supports pci-e 2.0 and HT3. The chipset also only uses 8w of power compared to the 48w that other chipsets use. Not to mention dual triple and quad crossfire support with full x16 express lanes (weather or not that is good depends on how the new ATI HD 3800 series perform, we don’t know yet. But they are coming in a week or so). The 790fx is also an overclockers dream!

I personally am waiting for the phenom x4, HD 3800's, and the 790fx to be released. After the dust settles and the OFFICIAL benches are in I will decide what my next build will be: I cant say at this point if it will be Intel,Nvidia or ATI,AMD. It all hangs on price/performance.
November 7, 2007 5:51:51 PM

pogsnet, Im looking at the MSI model too. But have you seen the Asus model?? It has those heatpipes that go to the memory modules, it lookes pretty sick. I cant wait to OC that setup.
November 7, 2007 6:02:26 PM

The ASUS: here it is!

Asustek's M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP (AMD790FX)

Well, I dont like that. What happened to your corsair dominator if they have already the heatsink and the rest of the highend RAM's. Only the low end the comes without heatsinks.
November 7, 2007 6:04:42 PM

Why do they have to use heatpipes on motherbaords??? It makes it very hard to buy a water block for just the
northbridge. ....

very annoying indeed.
November 7, 2007 6:18:27 PM

sure, 790fx currently hooks up to sb600 which is decent, but sort of antiquated now. however, the plan is for amd to release the sb700 which will blow sb600 away and provide a worthy south bridge for the 790fx boards. they're using sb600 because they don't have sb700 finalized yet.

sadly, 790fx looks to be fantastic as an enthusiast motherboard. too bad it doesn't support intel processors :) 

i don't think amd will be able to match up to what intel is offering, flat out. i don't think rv670 will be good enough. i don't think phenom will be close to good enough.

just my two cents, and no, i'm not an intel fanboi. i'm just disappointed in amd.
November 7, 2007 6:24:42 PM

Much better if they added Killer NIC. For faster online gaming...
November 7, 2007 6:32:03 PM

Cpburns, I’m right on your level. I love the ideas amd has and I truly believe if they where as big as intel and had the same opportunity(money)they would no doubt offer better products. That plus I fear for the sake of competition that amd doesn’t go under. I want them to do well...monopoly sucks...

brewster01 01, the 790fx chipset doesn’t have a "Northbridge" and it doesn’t need cooling because its not going to get hot. Just another reason why I Love that chipset.

pogsnet, your right about the heat sinks on memory, I didn’t think of that. But then I have to wonder if they designed it to work around memory that already has heatsinks on it. Even if it doesn’t, the factory heat sinks can be removed if that heatpipe design works better, or maybe the heat pipes heatsink could be removed? Just something else that I would have to look into now....
November 7, 2007 6:55:21 PM

I to am waiting on 790fx,this board is a better board than Nvidia's and Intels.This board is very future proof,accepting Phenom X2,X3 or X4 along with ATI gpus'.I believe the Phenom will be very strong in its price point and in less than 2 weeks we will know.
November 7, 2007 7:28:49 PM

wirelessfender said:

brewster01 01, the 790fx chipset doesn’t have a "Northbridge" and it doesn’t need cooling because its not going to get hot. Just another reason why I Love that chipset.

MSI pictures shows a heatpipe design joining heatsinks?
November 7, 2007 7:46:43 PM

pogsnet said:
Much better if they added Killer NIC. For faster online gaming...

nforce boards have something like that build in.
November 8, 2007 5:17:49 AM

brewster0101 said:
MSI pictures shows a heatpipe design joining heatsinks?

I ment the need to water cool. Also, Im not sure if thats a northbridge or not in the picture. Can anyone explain what the the heatpipes are cooling? I thought amd cpus dont need use a northbridge because of the built in memory controller?

And The picture and link for the asus board isnt working...
November 8, 2007 8:35:22 AM

The cooling was actually for the overclocking. In general as stock speed they dont need that extra heat pipe cooling aparatus. It is needed when you adjust its HT speed from 200Mhz to 510Mhz (like MSI did). I barely clock my mobo to 220Mhz HT higher than that it will become unstable.

There are usually three spots to cool down. 1. The Northbridge, 2. The Southbridge and 3. The voltage regulator
!