Problems installing windows on Seagate SATA

threekgtvr4

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
Hey everyone, sorry to ask a question about this on my first post, but it's been 2 months of searching for a solution and can't get it to work for some reason. I'm not sure if this should be here, or in the Windows 2000/NT section. Sorry if I posted incorrectly.

First, the system:
- Asrock AliveNF6G-VSTA Mobo
- XFX 8600GT Vid card
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz
- ASUS SATA 20x DVD burner w/ lightscribe
- WD 80GB IDE (currently have Win 2000 Prof. SP4 on and running on a 40GB partition)
- Seagate 250GB SATAII drive

I'm having problems getting the Seagate working with my system. I can boot up with the WD and then plug the Seagate in and transfer files TO it, but when I'm trying to access files on the Seagate, the system crashes. I'm thinking it has to do with SATA drives wanting to be first in boot order and having the IDE as the primary drive and the Windows problem with wanting to be on the primary drive. So I unplugged the WD, formatted the Seagate and partitioned it so I could install Windows on it. I used the SATA drivers that came with the MOBO disk during the install process of Windows. The install goes fine up to the point of first boot, then it comes up with an error that says something to the point that it just won't work (not sure of the exact error message, will post a little later if needed). But it does the splash screen then it goes to a black screen with the error message.

Am I missing something here? Is this a problem with the MOBO? The drivers? I've contacted Asrock with the problems and they just give me information that I already know and have tried. BIOS is setup correctly to use the drive, even when trying to just use the Seagate alone. I am far more computer literate than the average person. This is the first problem with computer building I haven't been able to figure out. Could use some help.

Thanks in advance,
Jerred

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Make sure that you are connected to the primary SATA connector, labeled #16 in the motherboard diagram in the manual, Fig 1.5. Some implementations of SATA, depending on the manufacturer and chipset, require that you be connected a specific SATA port for boot drive.

threekgtvr4

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
Yeah, that's where I have it hooked up. I'm hoping I don't need to go to XP, not a big fan of it. Not a big fan of Windows period... But I'm using it until I find time to build LFS.