Sign in with
Your question

Cant connect to a network. What happen if two wireless cards.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 14, 2009 7:11:05 AM

Here is the deal, my family is staying at a hotel. My XP computer connects to a network with 2 bars prefectly. I turn on my new vista with better wireless card. I try to connect to the same network. It wont work on my vista, and it kicks my XP off. I thought of an idea to bring in the wifi on the internal xp card, and broadcast an ad hoc network with an external card. So it would come in and go out wirelessly, and be on 2 cards. Will this work?
OR
Can i bring in the wifi on the XP and connect it to my Vista, using ethernet, and get internet to be shared to the ethernet? i have done the exact opposite by bringing in on ethernet then creating ad hoc wireless, and it worked great, but i cant seem to reverse this, and i cant find any good articles on google search.
Please reply quickly. If you dont have an account I promise you it is really easy and takes less than 45 seconds. please make one, and you dont get any spam or anything. dont even have to activate in your e-mail. so please if you have an answer, please sign up.
February 16, 2009 4:32:30 PM

Kinda confusing.Are you trying to share internet through wireless?Or just trying to network both pc's using adhoc mode?
February 16, 2009 9:11:27 PM

were trying to share internet through ad hoc and get internet through wireless. but i found out an easier way. Turn of ICS and bridge the connections(lan and wlan) and then connect to the wireless network, and link them with ethernet.
Related resources
February 16, 2009 9:24:22 PM

The idea is a lot mopre simplier compared of using adhoc.It's more recommend to use ethernet.
February 16, 2009 9:31:13 PM

but wireless is more convienent. bluetooth is prefered, but wireless is better than wired. Do you know if you can create an ad hoc network with 2 bluetooth enabled computers (use bluetooth instead of wireless card)
February 16, 2009 9:47:25 PM

Here that catch,you only have one wireless adapter running on both pc's.Running adhoc appears to be simple when expalined but kinda complicated sometimes.One thing is that speed is fixed to 11Mbps.One wireless adapter can't function on both adhoc and infrastructure mode.

So it's a lot more easier to connect to the internet wireless and share internet on the other pc wired.Use fireware to optimized speed at 400Mbps.
February 17, 2009 2:41:05 AM

ironhide said:
Here that catch,you only have one wireless adapter running on both pc's.Running adhoc appears to be simple when expalined but kinda complicated sometimes.One thing is that speed is fixed to 11Mbps.One wireless adapter can't function on both adhoc and infrastructure mode.

So it's a lot more easier to connect to the internet wireless and share internet on the other pc wired.Use fireware to optimized speed at 400Mbps.

i dont have firewire port on my computer... isnt that mac only?
February 17, 2009 2:42:00 AM

and by the way, ethernet is a form of firewire.
it is firewire cat5e or in my case cat6 because i have gigabit
February 17, 2009 3:21:16 PM

MAC was the one named it firewire it was originally IEEE 1394.Anyways, firewire or not, the setup I recommend is a lot more simploer and easier than adhoc.

Were you able to try it already?
February 17, 2009 4:05:35 PM

that is actualluy what i ended up thinking of before anyone even replied. We are back home now, and this setup is no longer required, but the idea i came up with is the same as yours, and it DID work
February 17, 2009 5:16:46 PM

Very well then!

Congratulations!
!