Sign in with
Your question

Zerotherm Nirvana: Beats Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Last response: in Overclocking
January 16, 2008 9:58:11 PM

Apparently, the Nirvana is a serious competitor to TR Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE). In many cases, the Nirvana matches or beats the TRUE.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i...

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cooling/2008/zeroth...

This is a seriously good deal. At newegg, the Nirvana sells for $37 with mir.

Quote:
That does not change in any way the fact that the ZEROtherm Nirvana belongs on the short list of top performing coolers. It is in the same league as the top Thermalright offerings, the Tuniq Tower, and the Scythe Infinity with push-pull fans. In fact, at a street price of around $45 the Nirvana is also one of the best values in the top-performing air cooler category.

Apparently it's not so silent, but for the price and performance, who gives?

I say the king is dead!
January 16, 2008 10:16:29 PM

Evilonigiri....

I think that test was performed with the TR120 without a fan...

If you look at the noise test it has the same rating as a system with no fans. Either that or it was a very low CFM fan

Edit: Also on the scaling.....the TR120 was able to get a higher stable overclock and as temperature loads increased the TR120 started to perform better (even though its just a few degrees.....plus they probably didnt lap it)
January 16, 2008 10:28:21 PM

They used a Sycthe med-speed fan on the TRUE. They stated that before in other tests.

If a under $40 Nirvana can cooling can beat the $60 TRUE up to 3.9Ghz, I say the Nirvana is the king....of under 3.9Ghz ;) 
Related resources
January 17, 2008 12:57:23 AM

O...my bad on the fan. (Was it an S-Flex....i assume so by the low noise level)
I was in a hurry and quickly looked at the graphs.

Seems like a good cooler. Might consider it for my cooling upgrade against the TR120 depending on prices.
January 17, 2008 2:00:10 AM

I think the Zerotherm is a pretty good Heatsink, I just dont think it can stand up to the 120 Extreme. You forgot to mention that the tests were done by Anandtech.com, imo the worst tech website out there.

Also, the retail priced of the Nirvana is also $60 (unless im looking at the wrong one?), on sale at the egg for 48 w/$10 rebate. Once the sale ends, TR and Zerotherm's performance/price ratio will be equaled out.
January 17, 2008 2:26:17 AM

WestWarrior said:
I think the Zerotherm is a pretty good Heatsink, I just dont think it can stand up to the 120 Extreme. You forgot to mention that the tests were done by Anandtech.com, imo the worst tech website out there.

Also, the retail priced of the Nirvana is also $60 (unless im looking at the wrong one?), on sale at the egg for 48 w/$10 rebate. Once the sale ends, TR and Zerotherm's performance/price ratio will be equaled out.

Retail for Nirvana is $49.

I personally think anandtech.com is the best site for hardware information and I'm sure many people will agree. ;) 

What makes you say it's the worst?
January 17, 2008 3:16:55 AM

Is this the Cooler you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I feel like anandtech.com is basically paid by companies to give good reviews, which misleads alot of people who read their site. Just taking the time to read their article about the Swiftech and Nautilis WC systems presents their warped sense of computers. They make sure to mention about 5 times that Air is better than water, and its silly to buy water. When in reality, a properly built WC system will beat the pants off of high end air any day.

I prefer to get news from people who have no fiscal relations with other tech companies.
January 17, 2008 3:39:16 AM

WestWarrior said:
They make sure to mention about 5 times that Air is better than water, and its silly to buy water. When in reality, a properly built WC system will beat the pants off of high end air any day.

Well I agree with them that air-cooling is a better solution.

The hassle and dangers involved with water-cooling isn't worth it for me, and I find quite a few people agreeing with me. Also, not all water-cooling beats air-cooling.

It's all opinion based really.
January 17, 2008 3:15:59 PM

You seem to be misinformed. First of all, a properly assembled WC system is perfectly safe. If you use distilled water (which you should), even if you do spring a leak, nothing is in danger. I have even seen people pour like a gallon of distilled water on a running mobo with no problems. Also, a properly designed WC system will beat air cooling any day, giving you the ability to go for much higher overclocks with no risk.

I agree that air is more cost effective, but its not better (at least when compared to a properly build custom loop).
January 17, 2008 5:57:01 PM

"This performance places the Nirvana solidly in the top cooler performance group with the Tuniq Tower, Scythe Infinity push-pull, Thermalright Ultra-120, and Thermalright Ultima-90 with 120mm fan."- Anandtech review

Are we sure they used a fan on the TRUE? In all the posts they say how the Ultima-90 had a 120mm fan but it does not say anything about the TRUE.
January 17, 2008 8:46:23 PM

I think so.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2943&p=1

This is when they were reviewing the TRUE.

Quote:
To isolate just the impact of the Extreme modification we tested with the same Scythe S-Flex fan used in the Thermalright Ultra 120 review. This excellent fan moves a lot of air, but still keeps noise low with the Sony developed Fluid Dynamic Bearing on the fan motor.

So I assumed they did use the same fan for this test.

Besides, I can't imagine the TRUE doing 59C on a QX6800 @ 3.94Ghz under load when it's passively cooled.
January 18, 2008 1:56:24 AM

The Ultra 120 Extreme always has a fan, just it's a very quiet one.

And yes I myself would recommend the Nirvana 120 premium. Using one myself and it hasn't broken a sweat on my Phenom 9600 BE, even while overclocked it never went above 30c under full load according to coretemp, so I think if I'm reading correctly that equates out to 45c actual processor temp?

Also note that the base on the Nirvana 120 comes mirror polished smooth.
January 18, 2008 7:36:20 PM

As another plus Newegg dropped the retail price on it and Zerotherm is offering a $10 rebate on purchases through March. $38 after the rebate is quite the bargain on what looks to be a more than competent cooler.
January 20, 2008 7:00:26 PM

If you are using the Nirvana 120 did you use the supplied thermal paste or another brand?
January 20, 2008 7:06:33 PM

budven said:
If you are using the Nirvana 120 did you use the supplied thermal paste or another brand?

I don't own one, but soon I probably will.

I'd use Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste, which beats the Arctic Silver 5. There are better thermal paste out there, but the TX-2 is pretty good.
January 26, 2008 3:15:49 PM

budven said:

I applied a thin layed of Arctic Cooling MX-2 on the IHS of the processor. Runs nice and frosty, even OCed. I just gotta laugh, I ended up buying the cooler about a week or two before Anantechs review. It doesn't come with a layer of TIM applied to it. They just give you a small tube of what looks like ZT100 thermal compound (the standard silvery/grey stuff) to apply yourself.

The Arctic cooling MX-2 is another one of those that seems to perform a bit better than AS-5 does.
January 28, 2008 7:06:53 PM

It looks like the Fan on the Nirvana is proprietary. What do you do when the fan takes a dump and needs to be replaced, buy a new HS?
January 28, 2008 7:22:57 PM

Zorg said:
It looks like the Fan on the Nirvana is proprietary. What do you do when the fan takes a dump and needs to be replaced, buy a new HS?

my concerns also
January 29, 2008 12:57:08 AM

It's removable and replacable, just have to go through Zerotherm Tech support for a new one.,
January 29, 2008 1:00:32 AM

Zorg said:

Look at the pics here on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It shows you that you can take it off. Then you can improvise using some 120mm fan. :D 
January 29, 2008 1:49:58 AM

Mathos said:
It's removable and replacable, just have to go through Zerotherm Tech support for a new one.,
Just what I want to do, go through tech support. That's assuming they didn't discontinue it all together, no thanks.
Evilonigiri said:
Look at the pics here on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It shows you that you can take it off. Then you can improvise using some 120mm fan. :D 
I looked at the pics, that's how I determined it was proprietary. The fan sits on the end of it's own mounting posts. I would rather use the Ultra 120 ex. and choose my own fan and not have to worry about cobbing together a replacement when the time comes.

January 30, 2008 7:09:12 PM

Then you do that.

As far as Ic an see it beats the TRUE though. It definatly had a fan because if it didnt, it would of overheated :) 

Even 37dba is too high for me though, they should use quieter components.
January 30, 2008 8:40:06 PM

i wished they didint cost so much.... btw, how loud is 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 dba??? and can someone tell me how to post a thread? i cant find the button but im new
January 30, 2008 8:50:29 PM

40 dba is about a direct conversion with a person. Which in terms of a fan is pretty loud

New thread is at the bottom right
January 30, 2008 9:01:34 PM

I agree with the others that I would much rather spend the extra money on the TRUE and have the ability to swap the fan out in 5 mins if it should croak. The price on the Zerotherm is attractive, but if you are doing serious overclocking, then why skimp on the cooler?
January 30, 2008 9:37:27 PM

Yep, just go phase :D 
January 30, 2008 9:41:06 PM

I say just dunk the whole thing in an aquarium filled with Vegetable or Peanut Oil :D 
January 31, 2008 1:39:40 AM

Nice find.

Except for the complaints for AMD users, this is the first review I've seen which shows that the Nirvana is a failure. However, since the good reviews far outweighs the bad reviews, I still say the Nirvana is one of the best coolers out there.
January 31, 2008 3:26:38 AM

Hatman said:
Then you do that.
I already did on three Q6600s.
January 31, 2008 4:52:30 AM

Zorg said:
I already did on three Q6600s.

Are they all lapped?
January 31, 2008 7:57:33 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Are they all lapped?
No, I thought about it and determined that I was too lazy. I did lower Vcore though. The 120 should be lapped and you can buy it that way for not too much more. I wish I had known about it. I'll probably break down and lap it, although I don't really stress it that much.

!