Sign in with
Your question

Whats Going To Happen?

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2007 1:02:15 PM

I am planning on upgrading my MB, CPU, Graphics Card and RAM shortly and I'm not sure what's going to happen after I plug everything back in a try to boot the new system up. I am planning on keeping all the same harddrives with the same OS. Ideally I'd like to have it just boot right back up like nothing ever happened. I'd update the system drivers and graphics drivers and be on my way. I have a nagging suspicion that this is very wishful thinking.

First, I assume windows will have some sort of problem with me doing this. Do I need to call Mircosoft and get a new key?

How about all the system drivers...those need to be updated but are they going to play nice at least to boot?

Would you guys recommend I just install the boot drive to start and then update the system drivers before adding other harddrives, dvd drives, etc...?

I guess I'm just looking to get some idea of whats going to happen and maybe the process I should follow to get this to go as smooth as possible.

Thanks for the help!!

More about : whats happen

October 10, 2007 2:11:37 PM

Unless it is a cracked os, it most likely will not boot into the OS. It depends on what Windows os you are using. If it is XP you shouldn’t need to get a new key but then if it is Vista, then you most likely will have to call Microsoft.

I doubt your computer will even boot into windows. So.... for your drivers, you will most likely need to reinstall them. I do not recommend installing the drivers before you upgrade, just for the fact that it may be all for nothing if you have to reinstall your OS.

The worst case scenario is that you have to reinstall windows (which means reformatting if you are smart). I say that this may happen from my experiences and also because you are switching out your motherboard and cpu.
October 10, 2007 2:17:41 PM

On the reinstall... if you have an XP OEM package, you will need to call. If its XP retail, you may not have to call.

I've had my dad call for his setup, which was OEM.

When I rebuilt my system, it just activated without fuss. :D  . o O (which was retail)
Related resources
October 10, 2007 3:08:01 PM

spaztic7 said:

I doubt your computer will even boot into windows. So.... for your drivers, you will most likely need to reinstall them. I do not recommend installing the drivers before you upgrade, just for the fact that it may be all for nothing if you have to reinstall your OS.

The worst case scenario is that you have to reinstall windows (which means reformatting if you are smart). I say that this may happen from my experiences and also because you are switching out your motherboard and cpu.

It is XP OEM so I guess I will need to give Microsoft a call. I'm confused as to why it won't boot? Microsoft knows this is a different PC even before Windows loads?? That's creepy....

I was hoping to avoid a reformat but perhaps that is not such a bad thing.

Will the non-OS hardrives keep their partitions when I plug them into the new system? I can't remember if partitions are stored on the HD's or by Windows.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2007 3:16:11 PM

Partitions are part of the HD. Windows just recognizes them (hopefully or you have other serious issues).
October 10, 2007 4:11:33 PM

The odds are severely stacked against you unless by some rare chance you're using a motherboard with a similar storage controller. I'm guessing you'll be greeted by a blue screen error when you attempt to boot. Like a previous OP said, it may even require a call to Microsoft if it's a Vista installation.

For the record, if you have an OEM copy of Windows (any version), legally you can't do what you're trying to do. Microsoft blows!

If it were me... I'd just backup my data and do a clean install on the new system.
October 10, 2007 4:38:08 PM

strikefighter said:
It is XP OEM so I guess I will need to give Microsoft a call. I'm confused as to why it won't boot? Microsoft knows this is a different PC even before Windows loads?? That's creepy....

Will the non-OS hardrives keep their partitions when I plug them into the new system? I can't remember if partitions are stored on the HD's or by Windows.

Well... when you do a fresh install, OEM or Retail, the system should work like normal. You can get your updates and such. The trick is, the software knows its not activated. So, you have 30 days to activate it. When my dad called the number, which was ( if I remember right) an 800 number. He said he was taking to a machine. So you don't talk to a person. :lol: 

When you reformat the drive, is usually a good thing. Gets rid of any old problems that perhaps even slowed your old machine down.

Not exactly sure what your asking on the last questions. All partitions are created on the HD(s). So when you format them, that gives them whats called a file system. (NTFS, FAT32, FAT16)
October 10, 2007 4:46:14 PM

strikefighter said:

Like rodney_ws said, the storage controller on the motherboard and such... yeah... Any other hard drive that dose should keep the partition. Now the hd with the os on it will still have that partition. I am not saying you will lose your data on that hd, just that it may not (the most likely case) boot into windows. You may get an error in the bios like "can not find hard rive" or "can not find bootable disk" or "can not find os" or something of that sort.
October 10, 2007 8:47:09 PM

I have been reading up a bit and it seems that if I boot to the XP disk after the upgrade and do a repair installation it should find the HD with XP loaded on it and ask me if thats the installation I want to repair.

At that point it would delete all existing drivers and load windows defaults after which it should boot. Then I can update chipset and video drivers and I'm off to the races.

Does this sound right?

I still thinking about doing a fresh install and I understand the benefits of this. I just have to decide if re-installing all my prgrams and patches and settings and saved games is worth the effort.

With the HD question I was trying to ask that if I have a 300 GB HD partitioned into 2 150 GB drives, when I plug it into the new MB will those partitions still be there?
October 11, 2007 1:53:18 PM

Not sure. If your XP install has SP2, or if you streamline your XP install with SP2, that should get around the problem of it not seeing anything or total space.

I know my XP install disk would not see 320 gigs, and only allowed me to format 127 gigs. After windows was installed, I created another partition for the rest of the space.

So it's hard to say what it will do or see. Just give it a try, shouldn't hurt anything to test that out first.
October 11, 2007 2:46:06 PM

Good luck my friend.
October 11, 2007 3:16:23 PM

1- I gotta agree with rodney_ws "The odds are severely stacked against you".

2- rodney_ws is again correct (tanjdangit) that the license says 'you can't do that!'; but the silly machine that answers the activation phone will give you a new code anyway.

3- I'd go for a fresh install myself, stability is the key.

4 - if you copy the drivers (.inf) files for the new system to the correct locations on your existing system BEFORE you swap out any of the hardware, there is a decent chance that the system will boot cleanly, with all hardware installed correctly via the plug and pray system.

5 - GO FOR THE FRESH INSTALL!!
!