Need help choosing motherboard!

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Hiya all, I'm planning on doing an upgrade come this Christmas to a Q6600 based system and I have absolutely no idea what motherboard to get. I'm upgrading my current system, so the only parts that are of any concern to me is the memory, cpu, and motherboard. I'll be getting a Core 2 Q6600 (Hopefully I'll get a G0 stepping..) and 2 GB of Super Talent memory, leaving me with just a motherboard to pick.

I need to have at least two PATA ports, four SATA ports a gigabit ethernet controller and support for up to 4 GB of memory. I'll be looking around newegg to see if I can find anything fitting this, but I figured asking you guys would help me a lot! But, I just want to make it clear I really don't want to be spending a ridiculous amount of money for the motherboard (over $200)

Thanks!

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I did a quick look on newegg and it seems like these two Asus motherboards would fit nicely: P5N-E SLI or P5W DH DELUXE

Would either of these be a good choice or are there others that would suit me better? Also, I don't plan on overclocking right away but it may be a possibility, so that's not a huge determining factor on my list. If the motherboard overclocks poorly, I have no issue with that.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm willing to go with only 1 PATA port if I can go and replace one of my optical drives with a SATA version along with a minimum of 5 SATA ports now.