Q6600 too hot for just being out of the box?

mcavey

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Hey guys I bought an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Processor. I installed it with the provided heatsink/fan in my antec nine hundred case.

I leave the Bios HW Monitor running for a few hours and see that the temps go between 35-38... Is this normal? I'm thinking it's probably going to get hotter once I install an OS and put the side covers on.

G

Just because it can go up to about 71C doesnt mean start worrying when it gets there. I get nervous around 60C myself.

But your temps look like they are where they should be. Stop worrying and enjoy.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

When are people going to learn how to use Speed Fan, do your reaserch before making the wrong guess. Speed Fan reads two different DTS (digital thermal sensers) sensers one in each core (always 15c hotter) and one (always 15c cooler) in-between the cores/on die, thats why Speed Fan gives two different readings.

There are "core temps" and there are "IHS temps."

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My cpu runs on 50 C idle in summer and 35-40 C idle in winter. It runs on 65-70 C on load whenever, and can go on 75 C in a combination of summer,heavy video compression using all SIMD available and multitasking of those applications with no bottleneck from HDD or RAM. It is properly cooled and not overclocked. Does CPU getting towards life's end influence the temperature, and how much? What about performance? :)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Are you trying to be informative to me? :p

I know there are 3 sensors. I've read the C2D temp guide a long while back, so I know about the tjunctions (digital core sensors on the die) and tcase sensor (one between the other 2 or IHS).

Here's a screen cap using TAT (load on the CPUS), CoreTemp 95.4 and Speed Fan 4.33:

tcs.jpg

Now I specifically remember when CoreTemp Beta 94 read the same temps as Speedfan did. When CoreTemp 95 came out, it read similar readings as TAT. Now the readings are not exact, but both apps may poll the sensors at different times.

So when I went to CoreTemps website, they had a link for the fixes they did on it. And what ya know, they said the fixed a driver conflict in their app, and now it reads like TAT does.

Now as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather trust CoreTemp over SpeedFan. However I still use SpeedFan to easily see my 8800GTS temp on the task bar.

Edit:

Since I haven't read the Temp Guide lately, seems it has been updated. :lol:

Seems as though:

Note 1: Core Temp is an excellent utility, however, it has a fundamental flaw in terminology, which creates confusion in the CPU temperature community, by obscuring the distinction between temperature and specification. Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c (or 100c), which is an incorrect term. The proper expression is Tjunction Max 85c (or 100c), which is the term defined by Intel as shown above in the Specifications section, and as represented below:

Hmmm... so I guess the max tjunction is not to be reliable, which is understandable, but what about the core readings?

And as far as TAT:

Note 4: The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which would equate to Prime95 at 114% Workload. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktops CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c. It is therefore recommended that TAT be used for extreme thermal testing only, and temps regarded as unreliable.

:cry: . o O (they changed all of it on me)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Welp.. after re-reading some of the tips on the updated temp guide for quad and dual cores, it seems coretemp is correct on the core temps (for me, not saying it will be for everyone). Its just the max core temp (100C or 85C rating) is questionable or incorrect.

Just a side note on SpeedFan. It's one thing to recommend it, but understand that not only do you need to configure it, to actually get close to accurate temps, it needs to be calibrated with the offset options under a controlled temp environment.

I kinda wonder how many people just download speedfan and use it as is. If that is the case, you will get cooler temp readings and have inaccurate temps.

To better explain why I say this, when I used speedfan (as is, no offset) for idle temps, it was reporting cooler temps then my room temps. I use an infrared non-contact thermometer to check temps even around my PC case.

The guide mentions to run the PC at 1.6ghz (underclocked in the bios) and try to see if your system shows 1C above ambient temps (since speedfan uses tcase as well as the bios). Turns out mine was right on or equal to the ambient temp around the PC case. So I was pretty much okay to trust CoreTemp without adjusting anything, or having to set speed fan accordingly, even though I ended up doing it. :lol:

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
wow some people have no concept of what is hot 38c is bath water - ok its hot bath water! its like a hot tub

hot is 70c
too hot is 75c
ok is 65c

better is 50-60c is fine at max

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol:. o O (some like it hot....... some like it hot)

Well, we are use to seeing temps at a normal 50C from the past. Which the diode is place at various places, and you could have different temps on different MB with the exact same CPU. So basically there was no standard for sensors reading temps.

With digital sensors on the core, that pretty much changes what the norm would be, in my opinion. But, if you only look at the tcase sensor, yes 60C would be your warning to be careful, since the cores (or tjunction temps) would register hotter temps.

vapouRx7

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have an Intel Core 2QUAD Q6600 Aswell.

My CPU Is 60 degrees without stress
When I start stresstests it goes up to 90-94, and my PC is getting very slow, programs starting to stall, bluescreens and stuff. Anything that I'm doing wrong? I removed all the dust in my cooler, any other help?

Regards :hello: