Sign in with
Your question

Best 20-22" LCD for gaming/video for price

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2007 4:32:29 PM

Hello,
I'm really sorry, my browser is having problems and search is not working, so I hope this doesn't annoy anyone too much. The subject says it all, I need a sub-$300 monitor for gaming and video editing, widescreen. I was going to get a very inexpensive 22" dell, but Ive heard the quality of dell monitors is garbage now.

More about : lcd gaming video price

October 27, 2007 5:36:12 PM

I picked up a Samsung 226BW and love it. It came highly recommended, although I have seen the name Chimei pop up around here quite often. Both these monitors are above the $300.00 mark, but the Samsung has mail in rebate that brings it just below. The rebate runs out Oct, 31st.

I'm using it with an old system and can't wait to see what the newer games will look like.
(EDIT: New games on the new system I'm putting together)

Just for the heck of it, I downloaded World in Conflict. All the setting are as low as possible, but it runs. I ran the benchmark and got about 24 FPS. LOL! Lowest FPS was 4 IIRC.

Anyway,
Samsung 226BW, check it out.

Oh yeah, don't worry about all the controversy about which screen it comes with. I believe they fixed that with the current monitors. I know I don't see any of the problems people complained about.
October 28, 2007 6:19:58 AM

Yep I got the CHIMIE 22" on order, can't wait to get it in (will be my first LCD monitor). Can't beat the price, $225 after shipping, and rebate =)

It has a higher percentage of good reviews then even the Samsung (though many more people have that one).
Related resources
October 28, 2007 8:04:35 AM

I received my shiny new Samsung 216BW last week. It's a 21.6", very similar to the 226BW, except slightly slower, with slightly better contrast ratio and slightly better viewing angle. In short, it's pretty much the same monitor. I couldn't be happier. If you can find one cheaper than the 226, buy it, if not, go with a 226.

Just be sure to download and use the latest Samsung utility. These monitors look aweful and could probably burn the image in, not to the monitor but to your retina if you don't adjust it. It's like staring into the sun I swear.

But once adjusted, the colors and speed appear fabulous. I had no idea LCD's had improved so much in the last few years. I had a reasonably new 19" viewsonic that I loved, but it doesn't compare to my new 216BW one ioda.
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2007 8:50:05 AM

I glad you're all happy with your monitors but you guys should really see something besides a TN panel. I guess it's one of those cases where you don't know what you're missing until you see it.

Checkout this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD
October 28, 2007 4:19:43 PM

Yeah but anything other then a TN panel is ridiculously expensive!
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
October 28, 2007 5:41:43 PM

gamebro said:
Yeah but anything other then a TN panel is ridiculously expensive!

Yeah, I paid $1,200 for my 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi.

October 28, 2007 7:25:04 PM

OUCH!!! =0
March 10, 2008 9:54:09 PM

MagicPants said:
I glad you're all happy with your monitors but you guys should really see something besides a TN panel. I guess it's one of those cases where you don't know what you're missing until you see it.

Checkout this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

The way I understand it... TN's are better for gaming, video, etc. The other types are better for photo editing.

I like that TNs have better energy efficiency too.
March 10, 2008 10:12:33 PM

Yeah the 226 bw is awesome, i recommend it to anybody.

I don't know much about TN panels,(that is the first I have heard of them) but as far as gaming goes as long as the monitor has a 2ms response time any monitor should be fine for gaming. As just with with any other thread on any message board nobody is going to agree on the same thing. Of course somebody always know something better than the other guy.
!