TEmp Files

Hi

Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
settings\temporary internet files

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about temp files

    In news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:

    > Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and
    > local
    > settings\temporary internet files

    Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
    folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create
    temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program
    should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for
    various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example, if the
    program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a
    good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

    Also note that there are some program installations which work in
    two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files
    and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
    rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

    Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would
    interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
    always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because
    it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by
    an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open
    files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail
    to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted
    automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them
    next time.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Greetings Robert,

    You can safely temporary files by following these steps:

    1. Open up Internet Explorer
    2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
    3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".

    Best of Luck!

    "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
    > settings\temporary internet files
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks, what about the temp folder
    "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings Robert,
    >
    > You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
    >
    > 1. Open up Internet Explorer
    > 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
    > 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
    >
    > Best of Luck!
    >
    > "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
    >> settings\temporary internet files
    >>
    >> Thanks

    I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :) It's easy
    and safe :)

    --
    Best of Luck!
    Jose Francisco

    > Thanks, what about the temp folder
    > "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Robert,
    >>
    >> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
    >> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
    >> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
    >>
    >> Best of Luck!
    >>
    >> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
    >>> settings\temporary internet files
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Robert,

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    AND
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.

    To delete the contents of %homepath%\Local Settings\Temp
    Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    Delete whatever you want

    To delete the contents of WINDOWS\Temp
    Start | Run | Type: %windir%\Temp | Click OK |
    Delete whatever you want

    XP will not let you delete a file that is in use. And will let you know
    about it with a popup message.

    Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
    folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
    good practice to always reboot after installing any software.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Robert T <someone@someplace.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks, what about the temp folder
    > "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Robert,
    >>
    >> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
    >> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
    >> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
    >>
    >> Best of Luck!
    >>
    >> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
    >>> settings\temporary internet files
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Hi Robert.

    Yes, you can empty the Temp files in Local Settings\Temp and also History
    and Temporary Internet files and Cookies too but I would recommend you do it
    after a clean boot, so restart your PC first. It might happen that you can't
    empty what's in the Temp folder completely and that is because you might
    have a Antispyware program or something else which is using this folder to
    put their temp-files into while running, it is normally nothing to worry
    about. If you wonder where they belong you can check them out by right click
    the file and choose Properties.

    Regards,

    Gunilla.

    "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
    > settings\temporary internet files
    >
    > Thanks

    Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user name>,
    expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp & Temporary
    Internet Files folders.
    If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will protect
    them if they're in use.

    --

    johnf

    >I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :) It's
    > easy and safe :)
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck!
    > Jose Francisco
    > Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
    > Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
    >

    > "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, what about the temp folder
    >> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings Robert,
    >>>
    >>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
    >>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
    >>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete
    >>> Files".
    >>> Best of Luck!
    >>>
    >>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message

    Thanks you. I knew how to delete the temp internet files, but was not to
    sure about the other temp files/

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user
    > name>, expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp &
    > Temporary Internet Files folders.
    > If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will protect
    > them if they're in use.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >>I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :) It's
    >> easy and safe :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck!
    >> Jose Francisco
    >> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
    >> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
    >>

    >> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks, what about the temp folder
    >>> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message

    Thanks a lot guys

    In news:%23MTP5R3hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:

    > Thanks a lot guys

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp
    >>> and
    >>> local settings\temporary internet files
    >>
    >> Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
    >> folder
    >> provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary
    >> files
    >> there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete
    >> all
    >> its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it
    >> doesn't always happen (for example, if the program crashes, it
    >> never
    >> gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically
    >> clean
    >> out anything left there. Also note that there are some program
    >> installations which work in two
    >> steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and
    >> rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
    >> rebooting and
    >> needs to find those files there (and then deletes them when
    >> it's
    >> done). Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that
    >> would
    >> interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
    >> always
    >> safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's
    >> safe to
    >> delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by an
    >> application,
    >> and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe
    >> to (try
    >> to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because
    >> they're
    >> open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app
    >> using
    >> them closes, or you'll get them next time.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Glad to help

    --

    johnf

    > Thanks you. I knew how to delete the temp internet files, but was not
    > to sure about the other temp files/
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user
    >> name>, expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp &
    >> Temporary Internet Files folders.
    >> If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will
    >> protect them if they're in use.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>>I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :) It's
    >>> easy and safe :)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck!
    >>> Jose Francisco