Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TEmp Files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:59:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
settings\temporary internet files

Thanks

More about : temp files

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:59:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:

> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and
> local
> settings\temporary internet files

Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create
temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program
should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for
various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example, if the
program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a
good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in
two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files
and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would
interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because
it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by
an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open
files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail
to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted
automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them
next time.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:33:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Greetings Robert,

You can safely temporary files by following these steps:

1. Open up Internet Explorer
2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".

Best of Luck!

"Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
> settings\temporary internet files
>
> Thanks
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:11:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, what about the temp folder
"Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Greetings Robert,
>
> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>
> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
>
> Best of Luck!
>
> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>> settings\temporary internet files
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:34:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :)  It's easy
and safe :) 

--
Best of Luck!
Jose Francisco
Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com


"Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, what about the temp folder
> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
> news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings Robert,
>>
>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>>
>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
>>
>> Best of Luck!
>>
>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>>> settings\temporary internet files
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:07:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Robert,

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.

To delete the contents of %homepath%\Local Settings\Temp
Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
Delete whatever you want

To delete the contents of WINDOWS\Temp
Start | Run | Type: %windir%\Temp | Click OK |
Delete whatever you want

XP will not let you delete a file that is in use. And will let you know
about it with a popup message.

Also if you just installed software you should reboot. Then check the
folder(s) again. Some programs require these files after a reboot. It is
good practice to always reboot after installing any software.


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Robert T <someone@someplace.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, what about the temp folder
> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
> news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings Robert,
>>
>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>>
>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete Files".
>>
>> Best of Luck!
>>
>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>>> settings\temporary internet files
>>>
>>> Thanks
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Robert.

Yes, you can empty the Temp files in Local Settings\Temp and also History
and Temporary Internet files and Cookies too but I would recommend you do it
after a clean boot, so restart your PC first. It might happen that you can't
empty what's in the Temp folder completely and that is because you might
have a Antispyware program or something else which is using this folder to
put their temp-files into while running, it is normally nothing to worry
about. If you wonder where they belong you can check them out by right click
the file and choose Properties.

Regards,

Gunilla.


"Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
> settings\temporary internet files
>
> Thanks
>
July 13, 2005 1:37:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user name>,
expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp & Temporary
Internet Files folders.
If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will protect
them if they're in use.

--

johnf

>I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :)  It's
> easy and safe :) 
>
> --
> Best of Luck!
> Jose Francisco
> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
>
>
> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
> news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks, what about the temp folder
>> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
>> news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Greetings Robert,
>>>
>>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
>>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
>>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete
>>> Files".
>>> Best of Luck!
>>>
>>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>>> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>>>> settings\temporary internet files
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:31:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks you. I knew how to delete the temp internet files, but was not to
sure about the other temp files/

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
news:uuCVHYthFHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user
> name>, expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp &
> Temporary Internet Files folders.
> If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will protect
> them if they're in use.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>>I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :)  It's
>> easy and safe :) 
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck!
>> Jose Francisco
>> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
>> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
>>
>>
>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>> news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks, what about the temp folder
>>> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
>>> news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> Greetings Robert,
>>>>
>>>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>>>>
>>>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
>>>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
>>>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete
>>>> Files".
>>>> Best of Luck!
>>>>
>>>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Hi
>>>>>
>>>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>>>>> settings\temporary internet files
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks a lot guys


"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
news:%23YrT8ZvhFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:
>
>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and local
>> settings\temporary internet files
>
> Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp folder
> provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there
> for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary
> files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen
> (for example, if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's
> why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.
>
> Also note that there are some program installations which work in two
> steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting.
> The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find
> those files there (and then deletes them when it's done).
>
> Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere
> with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete
> the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp
> files that aren't open and in use by an application, and since Windows
> won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any
> time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be
> deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them
> next time.
>
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:56:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In news:%23MTP5R3hFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:

> Thanks a lot guys


You're welcome. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup



> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> news:%23YrT8ZvhFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> In news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Robert T <someone@someplace.com> typed:
>>
>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp
>>> and
>>> local settings\temporary internet files
>>
>> Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
>> folder
>> provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary
>> files
>> there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete
>> all
>> its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it
>> doesn't always happen (for example, if the program crashes, it
>> never
>> gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically
>> clean
>> out anything left there. Also note that there are some program
>> installations which work in two
>> steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and
>> rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
>> rebooting and
>> needs to find those files there (and then deletes them when
>> it's
>> done). Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that
>> would
>> interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
>> always
>> safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's
>> safe to
>> delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by an
>> application,
>> and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe
>> to (try
>> to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because
>> they're
>> open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app
>> using
>> them closes, or you'll get them next time.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
July 13, 2005 11:24:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Glad to help

--

johnf

> Thanks you. I knew how to delete the temp internet files, but was not
> to sure about the other temp files/
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> news:uuCVHYthFHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Open Windows Explorer, expand Documents & Settings, expand <your user
>> name>, expand Local Settings & delete the contents of both the Temp &
>> Temporary Internet Files folders.
>> If some are undeletable, you'll catch them next time, as XP will
>> protect them if they're in use.
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>>I advice you to delete the temporary files with the steps below :)  It's
>>> easy and safe :) 
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck!
>>> Jose Francisco
>>> Tutorials, XP Guides and tips - www.xpsorce.com
>>> Need help - jose@nospam.xpsource.com
>>>
>>>
>>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uVi6GkrhFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>> Thanks, what about the temp folder
>>>> "Jose Francisco" <almach@onvol.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:u%23KY9PrhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Greetings Robert,
>>>>>
>>>>> You can safely temporary files by following these steps:
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. Open up Internet Explorer
>>>>> 2. Go to Tools > Internet Options
>>>>> 3. Under the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on "Delete
>>>>> Files".
>>>>> Best of Luck!
>>>>>
>>>>> "Robert T" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message
>>>>> news:ep$I07qhFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>>>> Hi
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Is it safe for me to delete the file in local settings\temp and
>>>>>> local settings\temporary internet files
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks
!