Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Cooling
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2007 6:35:30 PM
October 27, 2007 8:26:35 PM

I saw that too, thanks. Too big in my case.
The reason I was asking was that the other day on Newegg (before it was pulled) it listed an Evga clocked at 700/2000mhz and fanless. I thought it was a typo but made me curious if it will be offered as such so you then can add your own cooling solution. The stock cooling doesn't look like it will hold up with anything more than the reference clocks (600/1800).
Related resources
October 27, 2007 8:31:39 PM

Its an enourmous option.
October 27, 2007 8:32:31 PM

Yeah... do it the so the big hunk is on top of the card?
October 27, 2007 11:20:32 PM

With the fan it still takes up 2 1/2 slots.
October 27, 2007 11:42:16 PM

That would defeat the premise of a single-slot design. I have only 1 slot. I can do without the x1 slot above since I don't use it. I'll probably go with the stock cooler and see how it goes. If needed I'll try the Zalman Fatality. I have a BTX case with a cpu fan/heatsink hooded assembly I have to fit the card under. The assembly blows all the heat out of the case in the front and the 8800's fan will sit right beneath the entrance of the assembly.
October 27, 2007 11:49:25 PM

Having to add an additional cooling option would defeat the purpose of the price/performance factor. I don't my card to presumably be $250 + $60 for cooling, I want my card to be $250 solid. I am very much hoping that stock cooling is fine, especially the un-factory OCed versions(as I will most likely nag myself one of those).

October 28, 2007 12:01:01 AM

Single slot coolers are rubbish, they are loud and not effective enough.

Dual slot ones shoot the air out of the back of the case.

Atleast... most do...
October 28, 2007 12:05:38 AM

Have you had a look at the duorb...

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=380

I just installed mine yesterday on my 8800gtx and my idle tmeps dropped 15C and load by 20C....never breaks 65C now no matter what I throw at it whereas before I was getting mid 80's

Looks pretty flash too
October 28, 2007 12:08:01 AM

Well, Don't forget the card reviewed was OC'd about 10%.

Most likely the reference cooler may be better suited for Stock Settings. We may need to find out when cards with non-reference coolers show up.

a c 143 U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 12:12:18 AM

This one is definitely rubbish. 72 degrees Celsius and 73 dB stinks...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1210/1

Does anybody know for sure that the Thermalright HR-03 works with the 8800 GT? If it does, that's a $310 dual-slot solution that gives almost the same performance as a $500 8800 GTX. It will sell really well :D 

Edit: maybe I should be more optimistic. The review was about an MSI card. eVGA and BFG make better coolers than MSI or others for their 8800 GTX, so maybe they'll come up with cooler/quieter 8800 GT cards too.
October 28, 2007 12:36:54 AM

If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that the eVGA was fanless. If I remember correctly once again, that means that it has some kind of water cooling. Hopefully that will be cheap/keep it cool.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 12:43:55 AM

Lazarus7 said:
Have you had a look at the duorb...

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=380

I just installed mine yesterday on my 8800gtx and my idle tmeps dropped 15C and load by 20C....never breaks 65C now no matter what I throw at it whereas before I was getting mid 80's

Looks pretty flash too

Sounds very promising. They say it makes the same noise as the stock cooler, but they're talking about the stock cooler of the GTX (62 dB). If this thing can bring the 8800 GT to 52 Celsius and 62 dB under load then it's great! :love: 
October 28, 2007 12:54:15 AM

aevm all these cards are made by foxconn and are reference design aside from a few OC's.

Actual brand made cards arrive later on.

October 28, 2007 1:35:47 AM

I didn't really think the sound would be that bad, but I looked up what 75 db is equal to in real life terms. The website I went to said it sounds like loud singing from 3 feet away. OUCH.
October 28, 2007 10:44:55 AM

The 10% overclock was ona stock overclocked card!!!
October 29, 2007 2:52:58 AM

aadamszc said:
Having to add an additional cooling option would defeat the purpose of the price/performance factor. I don't my card to presumably be $250 + $60 for cooling, I want my card to be $250 solid. I am very much hoping that stock cooling is fine, especially the un-factory OCed versions(as I will most likely nag myself one of those).

Exactly my thoughts, with the exception of a magnificent gain in performence I never understood why people would buy a certain more price friendly part, overclock it then spend more money on cooling for the gain, aka might as well have bought the slightly more expensive part at stock speeds with the same effect. There is the exceptions though, that old old duron 1.8, the old intel D 2 core, and presently the E2180, and the black +5000. Other than that I really think OC is nothing more than bragging rights. What good is it to 'save money by OC your current parts' when ya have to spend more money to keep it working. Just my 2 cents but nobody like pennies.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 1:37:49 PM

Anandtech has a nice review of the 8800 GT now. It shows that 8800 GT SLI consumes about as much power as a single HD2900XT and humiliates a single HD2900XT or 8800 GTX. It also costs the same as the GTX. I used to advise against SLI most of the time, but this changes things a lot.

Another chart they have there shows that on a 1600x1200 (or less) monitor with 60 Hz refresh rate you won't get any difference whatever between an 8800 GT and an 8800 GTX (or Ultra). That is, in all cases you end up with 60 fps.

If somebody makes a quiet version of the 8800 GT under $300 I think the 8800 GTS/GTX/Ultra are doomed
October 29, 2007 2:43:56 PM

Just a quick note about Anand's SLI benchies, those were for 2 SLI-optimized games so mileage will vary depending on the game. But damn, impressive results!
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 3:24:18 PM

jevon said:
Just a quick note about Anand's SLI benchies, those were for 2 SLI-optimized games so mileage will vary depending on the game. But damn, impressive results!

You're right, of course. But, you know, until now SLI meant $1200 bucks for video cards, few people were interested, and game developers didn't care that much about supporting SLI. That will change now, with 2 fantastic cards at $500 together. Also, I hear the next chipset from nVidia will allow 3 cards :pt1cable: 
October 29, 2007 3:41:55 PM

Meh, If I do get an 8800GT, then I am just going to see how it runs in my case. If it has a load temperature of ~65, then I am not going to get an aftermarket cooler.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 4:24:25 PM

There's another review at THG. This review shows the 8800 GT making 2 dB less noise than the 8800 GTX. Now I really don't know who to believe. If THG is right then yeah, I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket cooler.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/

BTW, NCIX has the card for US$240 including a Quake Wars copy. [:mousemonkey:5]
October 29, 2007 4:39:17 PM

From the DuOrb review:

With ambient temperature somewhere around 26c on both days that we took results from, you can clearly see the Thermaltake clearly exceeds the stock cooler, at first I was worried when I saw the idle temps were almost identical, but under load well a whole 19c difference and in my eyes that makes this pretty special.

Idle temperature below ambient for the stock and aftermarket coolers. Both must be Peltier. :lol:  :lol:  Horrible review. :non: 
October 29, 2007 4:45:02 PM

aevm said:
You're right, of course. But, you know, until now SLI meant $1200 bucks for video cards, few people were interested, and game developers didn't care that much about supporting SLI. That will change now, with 2 fantastic cards at $500 together. Also, I hear the next chipset from nVidia will allow 3 cards :pt1cable: 

I'm also thinking we're going to be hearing about tri or even quad SLI, especially since AMD just said they're going to have it. On the NCIX forums, the admin said:

"Not only that, there are upcoming announcements which will make the GTX/Ultra THE product for super high end users. The product will remain the same as what's shipping now, but the ecosystem will change."

"I've said all I can say on the subject.
You'll have to wait... but if you're a "super-duper--money-is-no-object-power-user", the GTX/Ultra is still the way to go."

I bolded "ecosystem" because I think that's the important word trasnlating to chipset :)  Time will tell!

EDIT: link to the forum post http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&...
October 29, 2007 11:11:27 PM

KyleSTL said:
From the DuOrb review:

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/images/review/Thermaltake_DuOrb/image025.gif

With ambient temperature somewhere around 26c on both days that we took results from, you can clearly see the Thermaltake clearly exceeds the stock cooler, at first I was worried when I saw the idle temps were almost identical, but under load well a whole 19c difference and in my eyes that makes this pretty special.

Idle temperature below ambient for the stock and aftermarket coolers. Both must be Peltier. :lol:  :lol:  Horrible review. :non: 

They have done their graphs using the Delta model which basically gives the temps above ambient, this actually makes things more accurate in a way as it nullifies any changes in ambient temp when looking at performance of coolers. So the 21C on the graph is 21C above ambient.

They put a little link below the graph which explains their use of Delta readings. Here it is http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/page.php?id=4
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 12:08:09 AM

Ah, many thanks for the clarification. So, the 8800 GT runs at 86 Celsius at load, according to these guys. Another review said 72 and another said 90. I wish they'd make up their mind. Different levels of overclocking and different manufacturers explain some differences, but from 72 to 90, that's a bit too much IMO.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 12:11:15 AM

Some test in a case, others test in an open environment (bench system). Plus room temperatures can vary too. I think One site hit 90 degrees in an open bench setup.
September 2, 2008 10:24:27 AM

If anyone has an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 they can be modified to fit 8800gt etc. It's cheap and I'm sure there are lots of NV5s out there on 6 series cards.

Essentially you just have to cut about 5mm off the plastic exhaust using a hacksaw. Some of the copper heatsink extending over the RAM is not quite aligned but its pretty good IMHO by the time the heat pads are fitted.

The only thing to look out for is the crystal oscillator near the GPU. If its a full size plated through hole "metal can" it can foul the copper heatsink. I have two 8800gt's one had a surface mount crystal the other a plated through hole one. If you have the plated through hole one use a sharp stanley/craft knife to cut a small amount of copper off the heatsink to provide clearance. Be careful its easy to slip and cut yourself.
The fan plastic connector socket may also be smaller but you can remove the plastic plug off the stock cooler and fit it to the NV5 fan wires.

I saw both my cards reduce their idle temps by 9°C (down to 45°C with 25°C ambient room). I haven't tested load temps but usually load temps differ considerably more. I did run the counterstrike "video card stress test" over and over and it only got to 54°C!

I hope this helps people, I know my two 8800gt PCs are now almost silent and overclock nicely (my XFX card was one that was 100% fan speed and was like a tornado).

Cheers
!