Phenom FX to hit 2.8 GHz this year

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
General_Disturbance,

AMD launched last month, it actually been a few days more than a month.
The CPU's are available, just not in great quantity. You can go buy one if you want, so it's not a paper launch.

As far as Phenom, I doubt that AMD will have he problems as they have had since August. It's not much different from Barcy, and they will have been making Barcy for a while by then. However, if they still can't pump out the Barcy's then Phenom will be just as problematic.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I would expect this launch to be...relatively soft. While I have no doubt AMD could reach 3.0Ghz with cherry-picking, I have some doubt regarding their execution...

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
2.8ghz is cool for a fx, Im ok with the 2.2 and 2.4 ghz quads myself since im just gonna drop it in my current am2 board, I am curious about the dual socket fx's though, Im all for the fasn8.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
better hope those 3ghz chips are good enough to beat out 4ghz penryns lol. cuz fact is intel can go to 3.6 now with cherry picking, and penryn will improve that even more. expect intel's famed 4ghz release finally. give it time, but i'll bet you that if challenged, intel will do it inside of two years.

as it is, i don't see a whole lot of hope for phenom even if they can release 3ghz chips. it really sounds like amd is bumping up against the clock ceiling if they do bin them up there.

and yeah, i know that the qx6800 and qx6850 are bumping against their thermal ceiling at release speeds of 2.93 and 3.0 ghz, but given adequate cooling, those chips hit 3.6 and 4.1ghz. amd cannot boast the same. neither k8 nor k10 has so far historically or on paper gotten past 3.3ghz no matter what the cooling.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Yeah, because we all know how successful intel was last time they got into a clock speed race... the architecture is more important than the speed.

Anyway, phenom's aren't even released yet, and you're comparing to intel architecture's which have either been maturing for ages now, or are still quite a distance away themselves - of course there's going to be a speed difference.

Oh ... and THG, in the last 7 days took AMD's new black edition 5000+ to 3.3GHz on air with relatively minimal voltage increase ... personally i'd like to see how well it would do with a decent watercooling setup or better.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Actually, given Phenom's IPC is lower than Core 2's, AMD'll lose straight up in clockspeed war. The only card AMD can play now is scalability. I guess this is also why AMD announces the SSE5 development.

General_Disturbance

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007

Hmm thats a good point.