Convince me to do my build

Ok, so I have been reading up on other builds you guys have done and I finally picked out everything I needed from Newegg. I have done a few builds before but they were years ago so I have been watching to see what combos you guys like. When I finished I had a pretty capable machine with monitor for around the $900 price range.

Here is my build:
MB: ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(65W) Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4600CUBOX - Retail
Case & P/s: APEVIA X-ALIEN-BK/500 Black ATX Full Tower Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control
Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Video:SAPPHIRE 100196L Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI
Monitor: ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q20WB Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
DVI Cable
Wireless Card

I have since found this lenovo setup that, although is weaker than my build, is much cheaper. is this a good deal or should i continue with plans for a custom build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108117
9 answers Last reply
More about convince build
  1. Also note that the lenovo comes with windws vista home, while if I do my build I will most likely be putting XP in it.
  2. alright... thats easy enough.

Your build has a better processor
    2x as much ram
    a very good video card.. the lenovo has integrated graphics
    way better monitor
    better motherboard

its basically the difference between owning a internet/word processing machine... and owning a very capable gaming machine.
  3. I wouldn't use an apevia PSU. They are very good. Here is an interesting link to consider concerning a QUALITY PSU.
    8800gtx on 380w PSU!
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PSU - $49 shipped! Can power 8800gtx and an OC’d e6600! See link above for proof!
    Antec Earthwatt 380W P/Satx 12V v.2.2 80MM P/S2 Fan 80-Plus Certified - EA380
    http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v-v-2-2-80mm-p-s2-fan-80-plus-certified/q/loc/101/203477214.html

Now mind you, that PSU won't leave much head room, but is very capable. I would get a Cooler Master case instead of the Apevia. CM's tend to have decent cooling abilities and can be affordable. For $900 I would build the system around a 8800gts/2900pro, which would be much better than the x1950pro. Mind you, the x1950pro isn't a bad GPU, but for the $ your spending you can get a better setup.

CPU - $85 e2160 OC's like mad and smokes AMD rig when OC"d
    Mobo - $100 Gigabyte DS3L Nice OC'ing mobo, but no RAID support so might not meet your needs.
    RAM - $80 DDR2 CAS 4 800mHz preferred for the above system.
    Case - $50 for decent CM case as stated earlier
    GPU - $280 8800gts 320/2900pro 512 Much better than x1950pro and dx10 capable, which is still under development.
    HD - $70 250gb
    PSU - $60 Use a QUALITY unit, not one that comes with a case
    DVD - $30
    Monitor - $175
    Total build ~$930, alittle over your initial budget, but with some finer tweaking you can get it closer to $900. This system would do much better than your build. If you going to stick with AMD, which isn't a bad idea (especially if you want Phenom) you would save about $30 off the top for the mobo difference that I quoted above.

My 2cp's
  4. I have overclocked in the past but never been a big fan of it as I dont have the money to replace an overheated cpu, when you overclock, does it change the life of the chip?
  5. As long as your temperatures are within limits, your chip shouldn't be affected. Most OC'd chips will outlast your needs. So are you wanting to go Intel or the AMD way? I just listed a possiblity, but always try to leave all options on the table.
  6. I have always used AMD and found them to be as reliable if not more per dollar than intel. So I was leaning that way but im definitely leaving my options open because I am the buy/build nice and will most likely not upgrade for a while as im a recovering WOW addict so dont do much gaming anymore. I do a little graphic design but for the most part just want a well rounded machine thats going to last for a while. Appreciate your help though, going to look into those other setups, never purchased a seperate PSU and case as the combo deals are always so much better but everything I have read has always told me you get what you pay for.
  7. I would suggest the 8800GTS 320mb myself. Some of the games are pretty demanding. I have a X2 4000+ oc to 2.8mhz (about 5600+). Temps are 45c. Good to keep it below 50c (max is 65c before failure). And keep in mind the monitor you run it on, like lcds, higher the resolution, the better video card you need to push it. Having a motherboard that support SLI would be of great benefit, as you can always add a 2nd card to greatly improve performance.
    Also note AMD will NOT have anything close the Intel cpus (like the E6750) for a very long time. Even the fastest overclocked amd cpu only equals the E6600 types. Not good. Look up benchmarks on cpus and video cards (including sli and crossfire types), and decide carefully. You want something that can be upgraded.
    I'm forced to look for a AMD board myself for SLI support (screwed myself over with a single pci-16... before the SLI drivers were fixed). Not sure what i'll do since both Intel and AMD are changing boards/chipsets.
  8. lunyone said:
    I wouldn't use an apevia PSU. They are very good. Here is an interesting link to consider concerning a QUALITY PSU.
    8800gtx on 380w PSU!
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PSU - $49 shipped! Can power 8800gtx and an OC’d e6600! See link above for proof!
    Antec Earthwatt 380W P/Satx 12V v.2.2 80MM P/S2 Fan 80-Plus Certified - EA380
    http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v-v-2-2-80mm-p-s2-fan-80-plus-certified/q/loc/101/203477214.html

Now mind you, that PSU won't leave much head room, but is very capable. I would get a Cooler Master case instead of the Apevia. CM's tend to have decent cooling abilities and can be affordable. For $900 I would build the system around a 8800gts/2900pro, which would be much better than the x1950pro. Mind you, the x1950pro isn't a bad GPU, but for the $ your spending you can get a better setup.

CPU - $85 e2160 OC's like mad and smokes AMD rig when OC"d
    Mobo - $100 Gigabyte DS3L Nice OC'ing mobo, but no RAID support so might not meet your needs.
    RAM - $80 DDR2 CAS 4 800mHz preferred for the above system.
    Case - $50 for decent CM case as stated earlier
    GPU - $280 8800gts 320/2900pro 512 Much better than x1950pro and dx10 capable, which is still under development.
    HD - $70 250gb
    PSU - $60 Use a QUALITY unit, not one that comes with a case
    DVD - $30
    Monitor - $175
    Total build ~$930, alittle over your initial budget, but with some finer tweaking you can get it closer to $900. This system would do much better than your build. If you going to stick with AMD, which isn't a bad idea (especially if you want Phenom) you would save about $30 off the top for the mobo difference that I quoted above.

My 2cp's

I like that recommendation, I just bought very similar components for a system I'm planning on building next week. One difference I made was that I only got the Sapphire x1900 GT as I'm probably going to be playing at 1280x720 on an LCD TV and don't need the graphics power of the 8800. I bank the $200 difference and can always buy the 8800 in a year when it costs a lot less (or whatever is out there offering bang for the buck).

My components did each end up costing a little more after shipping and tax (almost all vendors charge tax in CA).

Btw, this will be my first build and first oc, so I'm curious as to how it turns out. I've read a lot about how easy the 2160 is to oc.
  9. computertech82 said:
    I would suggest the 8800GTS 320mb myself. Some of the games are pretty demanding. I have a X2 4000+ oc to 2.8mhz (about 5600+). Temps are 45c. Good to keep it below 50c (max is 65c before failure). And keep in mind the monitor you run it on, like lcds, higher the resolution, the better video card you need to push it. Having a motherboard that support SLI would be of great benefit, as you can always add a 2nd card to greatly improve performance.
    Also note AMD will NOT have anything close the Intel cpus (like the E6750) for a very long time. Even the fastest overclocked amd cpu only equals the E6600 types. Not good. Look up benchmarks on cpus and video cards (including sli and crossfire types), and decide carefully. You want something that can be upgraded.
    I'm forced to look for a AMD board myself for SLI support (screwed myself over with a single pci-16... before the SLI drivers were fixed). Not sure what i'll do since both Intel and AMD are changing boards/chipsets.

How do you know this? Do you think Phenom isn't going to match the C2D's? I beg to differ at this point on that. We haven't seen an benchmarks on the Phenom yet, so I can't say for sure, but you've got to be kidding if you think AMD isn't trying to equal or better the current Intel CPU's. Yeah they might not stop C2D's, but I'm betting they should at least be pretty close.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product