General Help for build using used components

skyscanner

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Hi Guys,

As a 'Newbie' to self build, I'm very pleased to be joining this forum and hope somebody out there will be able to help me with the following questions;

I've bought a used Mobo (ASUS P5N32 SLi De Luxe) together with a Pentium 4 3Ghz CPU, Freezer Pro cooler and a pair of ASUS Extreme N6600GT Gfx cards. I'm in the process of buying all the rest of the components including Power supply, Case, RAM, 3 x HDD's, Floppy drive and Optical drives plus any other bits & pieces I think I might need. The intent is to get to a fairly decent system to enable me to run Flight Sim X and about 5 add ons.Now the questions!

The MoBO was not supplied with a support CD - will I be able to get what I want from internet downloads.

I have XP Home on my existing 'standard' computer but the disk wasn't supplied - how do I get this on my new HDD's and at what point in the set up sequence do I install it on the new drives (assuming I can't install from old disk & I have to buy new).

Any other useful info very welcome as this is the first time I've tried a 'new' build.

Thanks

Skyscanner

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Unless you have multiple licenses for XP, which is unlikely, legally, you'll have to buy a new copy. In fact, if you don't have the disk, you'll have to buy a new one given unlikely Microsoft will send you a replacement. You can get an OEM version of XP for $89 at newegg if you're in the States. OEM is exactly the same as the Retail version, just the license is different but for all practical purposes they are the same.