Sign in with
Your question

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d) explorer

Last response: in Windows XP
March 18, 2010 10:06:20 PM

Hello,

I've been trying for days to get into my computer and for some reason I can't and I'm going crazy.

To explain, I use Windows XP with SP3 installed and when I turn on my computer and it gets to the log in screen it doesn't show the regular long in for XP but the clasic one. Also when I get into my profile (or anyone else for that matter) it says the following

"Explorer.EXE - Application error. The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d)." All the other sites I went to say to open up the task manenger but when I go to do that it says

"Taskmgr.exe - Application Error"

Along with the same thing it says for the Explorer error. I can't even open task manenger with the Command Promt when I go into safety mode. none of my icons or the start menu shows up, just my wall paper. I need help please!
March 20, 2010 9:19:09 AM

how did the computer get into this mess, did it just happen suddenly or did it deteriorate over a period of time.

have you tried scanning the computer for viruses/malware?
March 20, 2010 1:30:49 PM

+1 to daviduk109.

I'm pretty sure that this problem shows up because of a malware / virus.
Try to scan your computer with "Malwarebytes".

Make sure that your running the scan in safe mode.
Related resources
March 20, 2010 7:55:56 PM

It all started when I installed new operating sistem,everything worked fine until final program was installed (such as: winamp or some player ) and upon reboot I only get error message. How can I scan my computer for malware if I cant run any program,it only shows blank background without icons or task bar. And to mention that I get this error even in a safe mode.
March 20, 2010 8:30:12 PM

Could the problem be caused by a bad installation of the operating system + add ons?

could you not do a new installation of the operating system?

could you do a proper clean fresh installation of the operating system by formatting the hard drive before reinstalling everything?
March 20, 2010 8:42:24 PM

I was thinking that it was a bad install and I formatted hard drive again and did a fresh install of the OS .The problem was still there,few days ago I installed this same OS to another computer and it works fine.
March 20, 2010 9:06:51 PM

So you have repeated the same process (installing windows xp) on 2 different computers and for one of the computers the same problem has occurred twice in a row?
March 20, 2010 9:08:51 PM

YES
March 20, 2010 9:09:55 PM

sounds like a dodgy hard drive or other hardware related fault with the pc. someone else might like to corroborate this.
March 20, 2010 9:36:28 PM

I solved the problem. It was malware/virus I found some strange named folders in system 32 folder and just deleted them and the system started normaly.

THX
Anonymous
December 10, 2010 1:29:46 AM

how did u fix it please help me im having the same problem ??? PLEASE!
!