No HD on Fox "House"

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 20, 2005 11:44:12 AM

I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last night
(04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?

More about : fox house

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:23:22 PM

Ross Moody wrote:
> I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last night
> (04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?

It was in HD last night. Picture quality was pretty good, although I
did not pay that much attention to it. When a show is in HD for a HD
broadcast network, but your local station shows only the pillarboxed SD
version, the problem is usually not with the cable company, but your
local station. Comcast just forwards what the local station provides to
them. Your local station may have had technical problems getting the HD
feed from Fox or the engineer forgot to switch to the HD feed if the
station still requires a manual switch. Was American Idol in HD?

Alan F
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:33:59 PM

"Ross Moody" <rossmoody@bellsouth.net> wrote in
news:D cr9e.109693$vK6.18082@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last
> night (04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?

It was HD here (Seattle feed), but last night there were a couple of
Detroit feed stations that were SD for HD programming.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

April 20, 2005 4:50:42 PM

Alan
Thanks for report. Do not watch American Idol. I understand that usual
problems such as this are the result of local station incompetence. I was
attempting to sense if it was network or local but as usual it is local.
Here in Jacksonville both Fox and CBS stations are managed by the same
station manager. She has gone on record several times that Digital,
especially HD is not her priority. Her performance shows.
Ross

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ross Moody wrote:
>> I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last
>> night (04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?
>
> It was in HD last night. Picture quality was pretty good, although I did
> not pay that much attention to it. When a show is in HD for a HD broadcast
> network, but your local station shows only the pillarboxed SD version, the
> problem is usually not with the cable company, but your local station.
> Comcast just forwards what the local station provides to them. Your local
> station may have had technical problems getting the HD feed from Fox or
> the engineer forgot to switch to the HD feed if the station still requires
> a manual switch. Was American Idol in HD?
>
> Alan F

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:50:43 PM

I am in Denver. I have had my Samsung HLP6163W and LG 3510a for about
a month now. American Idol is the best HD broadcast I have seen yet,
the detail is amazing. 9news is good also. All of the other HD shows
are about the same but American Idol really stands out.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:50:42 -0400, "Ross Moody"
<rossmoody@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Alan
>Thanks for report. Do not watch American Idol. I understand that usual
>problems such as this are the result of local station incompetence. I was
>attempting to sense if it was network or local but as usual it is local.
>Here in Jacksonville both Fox and CBS stations are managed by the same
>station manager. She has gone on record several times that Digital,
>especially HD is not her priority. Her performance shows.
>Ross
>
>"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ross Moody wrote:
>>> I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last
>>> night (04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?
>>
>> It was in HD last night. Picture quality was pretty good, although I did
>> not pay that much attention to it. When a show is in HD for a HD broadcast
>> network, but your local station shows only the pillarboxed SD version, the
>> problem is usually not with the cable company, but your local station.
>> Comcast just forwards what the local station provides to them. Your local
>> station may have had technical problems getting the HD feed from Fox or
>> the engineer forgot to switch to the HD feed if the station still requires
>> a manual switch. Was American Idol in HD?
>>
>> Alan F

Dan in Denver

Click here for my current auctions
http://tinyurl.com/68o72

www.classicarcaderesource.com
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:16:13 PM

I don't think it was HD. It was all 16:9 but looked like SD in that format
to me. If you moved to NBC's L&O: SVU, even for a moment, right after it,
you saw the difference in last night's "House" and real HD.

In the past, it has seemed to me that some shots in "House" were shot in HD
while others were not. In a two-shot conversation, Dr. House might be HD
while the person he was talking to was 16:9 SD. But I could never be sure.
Last night, I am quite sure it was 16:9 SD from beginning to end.

mack
austin

"Ross Moody" <rossmoody@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D cr9e.109693$vK6.18082@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I have Comcast in Jacksonville, FL. Fox 9-10 PM program, "House" last
>night (04192005) not in HD. Anyone else have problem?

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:42:31 PM

Classicarcaderesource@comcast.net wrote in

> I am in Denver. I have had my Samsung HLP6163W and LG 3510a for about
> a month now. American Idol is the best HD broadcast I have seen yet,
> the detail is amazing. 9news is good also. All of the other HD shows
> are about the same but American Idol really stands out.
>

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:50:42 -0400, "Ross Moody"
> <rossmoody@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Alan
>>Thanks for report. Do not watch American Idol. I understand that
>>usual problems such as this are the result of local station
>>incompetence. I was attempting to sense if it was network or local
>>but as usual it is local. Here in Jacksonville both Fox and CBS
>>stations are managed by the same station manager. She has gone on
>>record several times that Digital, especially HD is not her priority.
>>Her performance shows. Ross
>>
>>"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It was in HD last night. Picture quality was pretty good, although
>>> I did
>>> not pay that much attention to it. When a show is in HD for a HD
>>> broadcast network, but your local station shows only the pillarboxed
>>> SD version, the problem is usually not with the cable company, but
>>> your local station. Comcast just forwards what the local station
>>> provides to them. Your local station may have had technical problems
>>> getting the HD feed from Fox or the engineer forgot to switch to the
>>> HD feed if the station still requires a manual switch. Was American
>>> Idol in HD?
>>>
>>> Alan F
>>>

> Dan in Denver
>
> Click here for my current auctions
> http://tinyurl.com/68o72
>
> www.classicarcaderesource.com

Which service provider do you use? I am new to Denver and am just about
to take the HD plunge.

fyb
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:56:42 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:42:31 -0500, fybar <fybar@shaw.nospam.ca>
wrote:

>Classicarcaderesource@comcast.net wrote in
>
>> I am in Denver. I have had my Samsung HLP6163W and LG 3510a for about
>> a month now. American Idol is the best HD broadcast I have seen yet,
>> the detail is amazing. 9news is good also. All of the other HD shows
>> are about the same but American Idol really stands out.
>>

>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:50:42 -0400, "Ross Moody"
>> <rossmoody@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan
>>>Thanks for report. Do not watch American Idol. I understand that
>>>usual problems such as this are the result of local station
>>>incompetence. I was attempting to sense if it was network or local
>>>but as usual it is local. Here in Jacksonville both Fox and CBS
>>>stations are managed by the same station manager. She has gone on
>>>record several times that Digital, especially HD is not her priority.
>>>Her performance shows. Ross
>>>
>>>"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Dan in Denver
>>
>> Click here for my current auctions
>> http://tinyurl.com/68o72
>>
>> www.classicarcaderesource.com
>>

>Which service provider do you use? I am new to Denver and am just about
>to take the HD plunge.
>
>fyb

I failed to mention in my post that I don't have satellite or cable.
My reviews of HD programming were for OTA channels in Denver only.
The only problem I have with the Denver HD locals is that the ABC
pictures bounces a little bit. I don't know if others have the same
bounce or if it's just me.

Other people can give their opinion on Dish vs Directv.

Dan in Denver

Click here for my current auctions
http://tinyurl.com/68o72

www.classicarcaderesource.com
April 23, 2005 4:35:02 AM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:21:56 -0600, Classicarcaderesource@comcast.net
wrote:

>I am in Denver. I have had my Samsung HLP6163W and LG 3510a for about
>a month now. American Idol is the best HD broadcast I have seen yet,
>the detail is amazing. 9news is good also. All of the other HD shows
>are about the same but American Idol really stands out.

For some reason I'm thinking about Ed Sullivan in black and white and
how wonderful folks must have thought that all was.
!