Where to sell processors?

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Hey guys, I am trying to get rid of a Pentium 4 - socket 478 3.0Ghz Prescott and an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4Ghz socket 939. Does anyone know where to sell these? I don't have an ebay account and I want to sell it on one with many good reviews if I tried ebay. I will not take it to any ebay store because they rip like 35% of profits from you. Anyone got any suggestions of where to sell this stuff? Pentium was never OC'd and AMD one bumped the FSB up 5 Mhz to see how that went, and naturally it screwed up my memory's freq (because I was too lazy and didn't have enough time to calculate what FSB would get me a good divider on the mem), so it was OC'd for about 10 minutes...
Any suggestions? Thanks.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
The trash can?

Sorry, no reasonable person is going to spend money on something that is 2-3 generations behind the times. Sure, some 10 year old building his first computer might want the chips, but daddy (who controls the $) is going to spend the $30 that you want on these chips on something newer. If you think you can get more than $30 for the chips then by all means give it a try..... a sucker is born every day.

mlek

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
The trash can?

Sorry, no reasonable person is going to spend money on something that is 2-3 generations behind the times. Sure, some 10 year old building his first computer might want the chips, but daddy (who controls the $) is going to spend the $30 that you want on these chips on something newer. If you think you can get more than $30 for the chips then by all means give it a try..... a sucker is born every day.

Have you been on ebay recently? There's still a big market for used cpus, even those that are "2-3 generations behind the times"! 3ghz+ socket 478s still command a fair price ($60+) considering there are much better cpus available on newer platforms. This could help toward a new setup.

Sure, some 10 year old building his first computer might want the chips, but daddy (who controls the $) is going to spend the $30 that you want on these chips on something newer

Not everybody can afford to replace their whole system, even if it is relatively cheap to do so nowadays.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Where I live we have a (Penny Saver)....it is a small news print magazine where you can sell items. They allow you to print free ads if the price is lower than $250.00. Don't listen to the naysayers who say these chips are no good. I have a 3800+ in my LAN machine and it works very well and is a damn fast chip. I have an old Athlon XP 2500+ Barton over clocked to a 3200+ in a Linux machine and it is quite adequate. Just because a CPU is not a quad core over clocked to the max does not make it trash.

I just donated a bunch of computer stuff to a local non-profit group that takes older computers and refurbishes them and then donates them to school s and to community centers. So if your feeling charitable you can donate them to a worthy cause and probably get a small tax write off.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If you do an eBay search for those exact processors you see there are plenty on there. And if you do a search for completed listing, you'll see plenty have sold for decent (relative term) amounts. I just sold a 2.2 GHz P4-M on eBay for $31+$4 that I salvaged from a computer that was being thrown away. There is still a demand, so there's still a market. Don't take the word of people who could care less about making money off items you already have, and selling to people who could use them.

Stevie - for shame you say the trash can, e-waste is an enormous problem in America and all other developed countries. There are legitimate companies who reuse these things, many times for no cost (I've used a free service in St Louis called Dcal). It's a shame there are people in this very disposable world like you.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I did not mean that the chip should be wasted. By all means, donate the sucker to a charity, or better yet, give it to a recycling center so that the heavy metals can be properly recycled.

But selling the chip? Let's grow up. Selling it on Ebay just proves my point that there is a sucker born every day.

ebay or craigslist are the 2 that I'd consider. Ebay has alot of people checking them out, especially close to Christmas, so don't rule them out. It only takes about 15min. to setup your auction, especially if you have an account already. Make sure you get a Paypal account, because that will save alot of possible headaches later. Heck if I had a spare s939 mobo laying around, I'd probably pay $20-25 for the CPU for my sons computer!

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

I would happily take both if your offering price is very attractive !! :)

98beata

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
try ioffer .not free anymore
also buysellcommunity.com
www.atoncer.com

i wish people would answer the qustion. instead of giveing opionated answers
there wrong.
there are thousands of people who look for older cpu's, and pay a good price for them. in this ecomeny more people may do the same.

I wish people would look at the date of the thread that they reply to, this ones TWO YEARS OLD.