Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Post removed by socket 7, as this forum is a load of crap.
Also I would just like to say, that I now have my computer running stable at 3Ghz. Thanks to some help on overclock.net :D :kaola:

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Couple of things,

Although the guides at first appear daunting, if you are serious about overclocking you really should read them again and again until you become a bit more familiar with what you are trying to do.

I very much doubt you have a duff Q6600.

Have you manually set the voltage of your RAM to 2.1V which is its rated spec? If not do it and also set the timings to 4-4-4-12.

You should easily be able to hit 3.2Ghz (I prefer 8x400) i.e. lower the multiplier to 8 and up the fsb to 400. You will need to up the juice to the CPU - I got mine prime stable at the setting just below 1.4V (cant remember exactly what that is).

ANother thing - I would not use the asus monitor as a source of information apart from perhaps the vcore reading. The temperature it shows looks a bit low to me. Download the latest beta version of speedfan (you will need the latest non beta version as well for it to work) - this seems to give accurate temp readings without needing to be calibrated. Also get yourself coretemp. You will also want to get Go Orthos or prime 95 (latest version) in order to really check the stability of your overclock (just cuz it boots and seems fine don't mean its stable) - once you have your desired overclock run orthos or prime overnight to really push that baby and reveal whether or not you need to up the vcore a little.

Then as I say - reread those guides, there really are no shortcuts and you will soon get the hang of it.

Good luck mate

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Also I would just like to say, that I now have my computer running stable at 3Ghz. Thanks to some help on overclock.net :D :kaola:

Don't be scared of the FSB: You should be able to get to 333 and 3Ghz on most motherboards with no troubles or increases in Voltage. The one thing to do is lower (slow down) your memory some - That is normally the barrier to processor overclocks on Intel Mobos because the FSB and Memory are linked. So when you increase the FSB to overclock your CPU, you are also overclocking your memory.

I have the sme Proc (Q6600), and this is my day to day clocks:

cachemem.jpg

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I'm glad you found a step by step guide to OCing your board. It is unfortunate that you expect us here to have experience in OCing every board from A-Z but that is not the case. Most of us know how to OC anything we get our hands on and the guide shows you the basics.

It is quite obvious to me that you needed to have your hand held by someone that had the board or someone who told you to try X settings until it will be stable. Good luck and I wish you the best at whatever forum you go to, you won't be missed here. :D

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Guess what we call that? Process of elimination. If the CPU, Memory, and NB Volts didn't work we move onto something else. I'm sorry you don't have the patience to be an overclocker. You have to start somewhere. I know plenty of people that are new to OCing and didn't need their hand held.

Don't worry about my CPU, my only question is why if you are leaving do you keep coming back here? Shouldn't you be gone already? Tell yourself what you have to inorder to get some shut eye at night. You're the one with a grudge, I won't remember who you are by the end of the day. :)

nemoreborn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Sup Socket7, just to let ya know , im pretty new to OC too ! tomshardware have plenty of people who know what they talking about . i used patience and read a lot of stuff here . BTW in different forum and its all the same .

im starting to become better and better just by reading and askin questions .

u not using the good attitude imo . also im happy u leavin this forum , they gonna have more time for me !
mouhahah burned , good bye noob

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
How about you RTFM for a change to see the options in the bios. How about you read the sticky on overvlocking the intel cpus. How about you actually know what to do with prime 95 before you even try to OC.

Next time READ the overclocking guide. Dont just look it and say..oh wee thats for nerds.

There is plenty of need for Good Riddance.

Again GOOD RIDDANCE.

Get out

Dont come back