Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Hi,
My winxp pro system stopped with the following error message:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

First, I suspected the culprit is my memory, but eventually, I discovered the it is an external HD, connected via USB and packed in an external enclosure.

Now I wonder how to proceed:
1. I tried to replace the external enclosure, but the problem stayed. I didn't, though, replace the cables (I don't have an alternative set). Can the problem stem from my cables?
2. Is there a way to check the HD without an enclosure? If so, how do I do it?
3. Is there a way to salvage the data from the HD? If I could connect it to my system I could try and repair the disk, but since I don't, I wonder what can still be done.

Ran

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
It will if there is a problem with the hard drive in the external case and its powered up when the computer starts. Simply unplugging the drive and thus removing it should do away with the problem if that truely was the problem.

USB cables usually don't go bad. If your system works without this USB device plugged in. You stated you replaced the enclosure so it most likely is the drive has failed. On other possibility would be the USB header you had the external drive plugged into went bad. But usually when one of the USB headers goes bad it just doesn't work anymore, doesn't give you a malfunction message.

chermesh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Thanks Stoner133.
My external HD is an IDE type. Is it worthwhile to try and install it as a second internal HD? Is there a chance only USB connection is flawed, while IDE still works?

Ran