Blu-Ray Players and HDCP support

JDParham

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
While researching components for a build I'm fixing to do, I ran into a possible problem with Blu Ray and HDCP support. After reading this short article while trying to find out exactly what HDCP is, I realized that trolling the forums would be necessary before buying something I would later regret.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

This Samsung 22" Tv/Monitor would be perfect for my rig, but I'm afraid that it doesn't support HDCP. From what the article said, that would be a HUGE drawback for my LG Blu-Ray DVD player/burner.

Does anyone know more about this? Is it really going to be as big a deal as the article claims? Is HDCP compatibility a must for blu-ray playing rigs? Here is a link to the monitor and burner.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=6471885

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
As far as I know the haven't activated HDCP yet but the could at any time. A 22" screen doesn't support 1080 resolutions so why would you get one if you want to play HD content? I think you would be better off with a 24" @1920x1200 which you can get for around $400.

Whiznot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Giant corporations spend millions of dollars and work for years to develop complex and maddening DRM technology embedded in operating systems, graphic cards, sound cards, monitors and related drivers all for naught. ANYDVD HD smartly defeats all known DRM schemes and makes fools of Microsoft and the content Nazis.

JDParham

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Yeah I realized that I was going to need a bigger monitor after doing a little more research. I also looked up the manual for the LG blu-ray burner i'm planning to get and it says that a monitor and video card with HDCP support is REQUIRED to play blu-ray DVD's. The problem is, I really liked the idea of being able to use my monitor for console gaming and watching TV. The Samsung monitor seemed perfect for that. But anyways, I've looked around a little bit more and found a replacement monitor here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

The only problem is I don't know how I would be able to hook it up to my cable. I guess I would need to buy a TV tuner card. Maybe I should just buy an LCD TV with a HDMI input and hook it up to my TV using a DVI to HDMI cable. What do you guys think I should do?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
One thing you have to consider is that monitors have better screens than the same size TV so you would be better off (although it would be more expensive) with using a monitor as a tv rather than a tv as a monitor.

Whiznot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

The manual lied. With ANYDVD HD you do not need HDCP support and new hardware.

JDParham

Distinguished
May 10, 2008

that sounds like what I'm going to end up doing. What do you guys think about the Hanns G monitor I linked to above? It seems like a pretty good deal, and has good reviews, although the price may play a part in that. Also, to anyone who has experience using a monitor as a TV, how easy is it to do? In other words, what do I need to buy extra to plug the hanns g monitor up to my digital cable?