Sign in with
Your question

"No audio device installed" message when clicking on Open Volume Mixer

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 24, 2011 8:07:28 AM

I have an Acer Aspire E380-UD440A desktop with an AMD 64 CPU and 4 gigabytes of Corsair DDR2 memory, on board sound, no separate sound card yet? I currently am running Windows Vista SP2 and have absolutely no sound? I have installed and un-installed the sound drivers, several times, no effect! Disabled and enabled the sound drivers with no change? When I click on playback devices it shows speakers and SPDIF Digital Sound, and the computer says the driver is running ok? Those speakers being displayed when I click playback devices cannot be configured, nor can they be turned up since there is No volume adjustment anymore! A default device cannot be selected since that particular term is no longer displayed? Cannot figure out why so far? Checked and rechecked hard drive for errors and found none? Anybody have any suggestions which might fix this problem? Thanks! :fou: 
April 30, 2011 7:50:11 PM

Shadmin said:
I have an Acer Aspire E380-UD440A desktop with an AMD 64 CPU and 4 gigabytes of Corsair DDR2 memory, on board sound, no separate sound card yet? I currently am running Windows Vista SP2 and have absolutely no sound? I have installed and un-installed the sound drivers, several times, no effect! Disabled and enabled the sound drivers with no change? When I click on playback devices it shows speakers and SPDIF Digital Sound, and the computer says the driver is running ok? Those speakers being displayed when I click playback devices cannot be configured, nor can they be turned up since there is No volume adjustment anymore! A default device cannot be selected since that particular term is no longer displayed? Cannot figure out why so far? Checked and rechecked hard drive for errors and found none? Anybody have any suggestions which might fix this problem? Thanks! :fou: 

I have been through this for over 6 months with a Toshiba U305 S5127 and have reinstalled the operating system three times (the third time yesterday). I replaced the Toshiba with a HP dm4 over the frustration of this issue.

I have tried the hotfix by MS, various updated drivers and he rest of the tricks with only temporary sound at best. On the latest install I have gone as far as SP1 and marked to hide SP2. Other updates ontinue to load, even without SP2, so that is good. The Sound continues to work, so now I have a decent back-up laptop as well as one that my wife can use when she needs a portable.

m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2011 11:24:34 PM

ed56 said:
I have been through this for over 6 months with a Toshiba U305 S5127 and have reinstalled the operating system three times (the third time yesterday). I replaced the Toshiba with a HP dm4 over the frustration of this issue.

I have tried the hotfix by MS, various updated drivers and he rest of the tricks with only temporary sound at best. On the latest install I have gone as far as SP1 and marked to hide SP2. Other updates ontinue to load, even without SP2, so that is good. The Sound continues to work, so now I have a decent back-up laptop as well as one that my wife can use when she needs a portable.

Hello, so you purchased another laptop, but the culprit may be the SP2 update for Vista?
m
l
May 1, 2011 2:48:16 AM

Sp2 for vista should not affect that since the updates that it applies doesn't actually mess with your hardware it's mainly fixes security flaws and basic incompatiblities with older software not working right.
m
l
May 1, 2011 4:10:20 AM

Regarding the comment from Shadmin, purchasing another laptop, yes I use it for work and could not afford it going South on me. When I have time, I have been trying to resolve the sound issue, as it is a pretty decent laptop and makes a good backup.

I also understand about SP2 from the comment from TitusFFX, but if you Google Vista SP2 and Sound, the number of reports is a bit overwhelming (also to a lesser degree in SP1).

Also Microsoft published an article regarding this:

"Information about audio device drivers that are known to cause problems when you install Windows Vista service packs
" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/KB9712

which states:

Windows Vista service packs update several system files and device drivers. When Windows Vista service packs are installed, some older drivers are reinstalled. When these drivers are reinstalled, audio problems may occur. This article lists the device drivers that are known to cause problems when you install Windows Vista service packs. It also provides information about how to update your drivers.

However, the newset drivers via Toshiba from Realtek do NOT do the trick, and the generic drivers from Realtek do not work with my Toshiba/Realtek hardware.
m
l
May 2, 2011 9:06:09 AM

TitusFFX said:
check for the latest updates from the website here http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_e38...

Hello TitusFFX! I went to the ACER driver update page downloaded the latest drivers, then uninstalled the current drivers then installed the new drivers with no effect, still no sound and no recognition of any audio devices? The speaker icon displays in the playback device window but it's a red herring in that it cannot be configured or set as a default device or have the volume turned up or down for it? The OPEN VOLUME MIXER selection on the audio icon in the lower right corner of my display on the toolbar still says "No audio device is installed"? I am wondering if upgrading to Windows 7 will help or is it the same story with it as well? :??:  Shadmin
m
l
May 2, 2011 12:20:26 PM

Try Googling:

upgrade from "vista to windows 7" "no sound"

. . . and you will find about 336,000 results, though it may work for you. Let us know if you are successful!
m
l
May 2, 2011 7:42:14 PM

well of last resort till you can figure out the issue could get a usb sound card fairly cheap as a temp solution or if you know a person with one you could borrow it to test to see if it will provide some sort of solution to your current problem.

don't have to be anything fancy kind of like this one for $1.30 including shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-MIC-Speaker-5-1-Audio-Sound...
m
l
May 12, 2011 12:36:41 AM

Thanks for the link TitusFFX, I may try this "fix" temporarily until I get to the bottom of this issue? The sound was working prior to updating to SP2 for Vista? Something must have happened during the update which corrupted one the files in Windows or disabled something?
m
l
May 12, 2011 2:36:23 AM

You could always rolling back to service pack one under add and remove programs and selection show windows updates then after that is finished go to device manager find your audio driver and click roll back driver. Should make it just as it was before you installed that way.
m
l
!