Sign in with
Your question

When will you adopt DX10?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Under which conditions will you adopt DX10?

Total: 0 vote

• I get a video card that supports it.
  • 0 %
  • I really dont care for dx10...at least not yet.
  • 0 %
  • Until a better OS to support it is released.
  • 0 %
  • Until I can afford it.
  • 0 %
  • I already have vista/dx10, and i love it!
  • 0 %
  • I already have vista/dx10, and it is not worth it!
  • 0 %
October 28, 2007 6:01:41 PM

Pretty self explanatory. Personally, I could not swallow Vista.

More about : adopt dx10

a c 360 U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 6:07:58 PM

Maybe next year, maybe not.

I have two PCs so that means I need to buy two copies of Vista if I want to ditch XP.
October 28, 2007 6:15:09 PM

jaguarskx said:
Maybe next year, maybe not.

I have two PCs so that means I need to buy two copies of Vista if I want to ditch XP.

you could always get vista by other means... :ange: 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 6:18:41 PM

cbhm said:
Pretty self explanatory. Personally, I could not swallow Vista.

XP? You have to be kidding?

With price tags of $550 and $725 respectively, the Geforce 8800 GTX and Ultra are anything but cheap. That's a lot of money to invest into 3D gaming. Under DirectX 10, these graphics processors really fly. While their performance lead over the Radeon 2900 XT and the Geforce 8800 GTS was not as pronounced under Windows XP/DirectX 9, they offer between 50 and 100 percent more performance than these cards under Vista/DirectX 10.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/09/directx_10_shoot...
a c 360 U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 6:24:52 PM

cbhm said:
you could always get vista by other means... :ange: 

I like to keep my PC legal.

With that said, maybe I'll just rob a bank to get the money.
October 28, 2007 6:40:55 PM

jaguarskx said:
I like to keep my PC legal.

With that said, maybe I'll just rob a bank to get the money.

I hear they get better Jell-0 in Federal Prisons... :bounce: 
October 28, 2007 6:46:39 PM

you forgot option number 7: I have vista/DX10, but i haven't played any games with DX10 yet!
October 28, 2007 6:47:19 PM

I already own Vista and an 8800GTX, but I won't be using it ever if the retail version of Crysis ends up as bad as the Demo is under Direct X10.
October 28, 2007 7:27:00 PM

I have a Opteron 165 DC @ 2.25 Ghz, 8800GTS 640. I see no point putting Vista on this system, it is too old, being a S939 with NO upgrade path anymore.

I will get it when AM3 and the Octals are out, as this is my next planned upgrade. I will have 8Gb of RAM in it. I think this is a more sensible computer for Vistax64, not some old "last gen Xp" system.

Also, by that time, there will be some good DX10 games out, I'm hoping. And most of the major bugs are fixed. We don't even have SP1 released yet for Vista.
October 28, 2007 7:34:04 PM

Honestly, probably the system after this system. I don't see the 8800GT playing DX10 fantastically, but maybe...
October 28, 2007 7:36:15 PM

When I see games that will impress me in dx 10.
October 28, 2007 7:51:13 PM

Until a better OS to support it is released.
October 28, 2007 7:54:48 PM

Until it's properly supported on XP, or Microsoft releases a new OS worth buying, whichever comes first.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 8:38:21 PM

paq7512 said:
Until a better OS to support it is released.

Your XP OS has 1073 updates and PATCHES (haven't updated that number since 2006). You are running a giant Patch and hail it's performance capabilities. :hello: 

I have a few VISTA machines I built and run every day since the inception to compare to.
October 28, 2007 8:50:01 PM

badge, I never heard someone put it that way, it makes me CRINGE how true that is.

I don't want to start some flame war and ruin this sensible thread, I am not making any comparisons but I am getting more and more intrigued by Ubuntu Linux. I really would use that OS on my home computer if all new games that came out were written for it, and Graphics Cards ran on it with excellent drivers. I would love to use Open Office too, it is the gaming that kills Linux for me.

I hope that one day Linux has a layer written in it that if a game says XP or Vista on the box, you can run it on Linux. I would totally use it.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 8:53:21 PM

Beats me why computer savy people hate Vista. I would never go back to XP.
October 28, 2007 9:05:16 PM

badge, do you think that it would be worth it for me to grab a copy of Vista x64? I would love to play around with it, but am worried that it would overtax my system. An upgrade copy is pretty cheap, and if the performance would be the same as XP, even if I have to use DX9 mode through Vista (if possible) to maintain the same performance as XP, so I can play with Vista and get used to it etc.

My system: Opteron 165 DC @ 2.25 Ghz, 8800GTS 640, 2 x 1GB RAM in Dual Channel, Soundblaster 24 Bit OEM, S939 Asus A8N-E.

So, do you think I should go for it? I would trust your opinion, or is my system too long in the tooth? I would get another 2 GB of RAM (DDR 400, cheap as well) to boot.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 9:17:43 PM

I already have a retail box Vista Ultimate and an 8800GTS, but I don't plan on installing it for a while until I have better hardware.
October 28, 2007 9:24:13 PM

A n00b question:

Could I play in DX9 mode on Vista x 64 or does it force you to play on DX10 if you have a DX10 videocard and a DX10 game??

Also, would DX9 in Vistax64 be just as fast as DX9 on XP, or would there still be a performance hit??? Even with 2 extra Gb RAM???
October 28, 2007 9:51:27 PM

As of right now Vista is too taxing on system resources for me to consider purchasing it. Also, there are currently no DX10 games that I am interested in, and even if there were, to enable dx10 features takes such a drastic hit in performance that it wouldnt be feasible for me. I will most likely get vista when a 700-1000 machine can run vista and a dx10 game at 1680 or 1920 resolution, at decent settings and still get acceptable fps.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2007 9:54:21 PM

Never
October 28, 2007 10:20:51 PM

vista is terribad
October 28, 2007 10:20:56 PM

I'll probably be using it around the time that "When will you adopt DX11?" threads start to appear.
October 28, 2007 10:52:43 PM

Falken699 said:
A n00b question:

Could I play in DX9 mode on Vista x 64 or does it force you to play on DX10 if you have a DX10 videocard and a DX10 game??

Also, would DX9 in Vistax64 be just as fast as DX9 on XP, or would there still be a performance hit??? Even with 2 extra Gb RAM???
You can force an application to use Direct X9; the performance hit from Vista itself and 64-bit is usually very minor these days. I own Vista Business x64(got it for free from a 10 license OEM) and XP Media Center; I use Media Center a lot with my Xbox360 so running Vista at the moment is an issue until I upgrade to Vista Ultimate. Seeing as the Crysis Direct X10 settings are completely unplayable on my overclocked 8800GTX, I'd rather stick with XP at the moment. I've also heard from unconfirmed sources that the "Very High" quality settings can be enabled in XP with some sort of registry edit.
October 28, 2007 11:02:34 PM

Thanks guys, I am not bothering with Vista till my next build. Off to play Crysis demo... Again!!
October 28, 2007 11:22:06 PM

The only reason for me to upgrade to Vista is gaming with DX10 games, thats it.
October 28, 2007 11:41:03 PM

No vista for me, until sp1 is out and everyone is asking me why i have not switched.......
October 29, 2007 12:32:20 AM

DX10? Never if Vista is the only way.
October 29, 2007 1:49:48 AM

yeah, you don't have to buy vista... rethink your ideals for a second, and get linux... and help me tell game developers to make more games for linux. :-p
October 29, 2007 2:40:26 AM

Thats what I'm all for nachowarrior. Game developers getting serious about Linux.
It's a damn chicken and egg problem. I think Linux will have to have more users first, then the games for Linux come second. Unfortunately.

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 2:56:35 AM

When I build a new system next year and go to Vista.
October 29, 2007 3:08:55 AM

TBH I dont think Vista is THAT bad. You seem to hear alot of crying about it from people who dont know anything...

I plan on going DX10 when I build my next system, wich will be whenever the dust settles after the phenom is released, as well as what intel has in store. Im still trying to get more info on Am3 as well. Still trying to figure out what graphics/cpu to go with 1-2months from now. Might SLI might not. But I do know this, Vista64 with 4GB's Ram.
October 29, 2007 3:43:12 AM

For me it's very simple!

When ATI or NVidia line of VPU will be powerful enough to run the games at reasonable fps (as in frames per seconds, not first person shooter). Current VPU can barely do a decent job with current games. I can't imagine what it'll be with real Dx10 games.

For now, I enjoy all those half-Dx10 games in Dx9 mode. I really enjoy my 60fps in Bioshock on my X1950Pro instead of less then 30 on all of Dx10 VPU but the 8800GTX (for Dx10 rendering of course).

One last thing. Vista ain't so bad. Or not any worst then XP at least. No offence, but did you at least tried Vista for more then 10 minutes? I have a dual-boot PC (my gaming rig on top of this) and I didn't boot under XP for my desktop for more then 2 months now. I had no crashes and no incompatible software, or should I say, none that I really need. Not being able to run TAT really isn't a problem for me. All that for a 64-bit OS. Much better then XP-64bit in that regard if you ask me.

My 2 cents.
October 29, 2007 3:53:27 AM

wirelessfender said:
TBH I dont think Vista is THAT bad. You seem to hear alot of crying about it from people who dont know anything...

I plan on going DX10 when I build my next system, wich will be whenever the dust settles after the phenom is released, as well as what intel has in store. Im still trying to get more info on Am3 as well. Still trying to figure out what graphics/cpu to go with 1-2months from now. Might SLI might not. But I do know this, Vista64 with 4GB's Ram.

Let me tell you. Vista 64-bit with 4GB just fly. It might takes 30 more seconds to boot up, for it's more advence prefetching putting more into RAM "in case".

When I had 2GB, I would start-up with about 800MB in memory. Now that I went to 4GB, I start with around 1,3GB in memory. The thing is that everything is instanteneous whenever I start something.

I know it's a bit over the edge. But I'm just ready to put in a C2Q 9XXX (45 nm) next year when Asus will release a compatible BIOS for my mobo like their site promise right now.
a c 360 U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 4:41:40 AM

I'm sure Vista will become better after additional patch and whenever SP1 is released for it. Last I heard SP1 was only BETA.

I just need some real reason to upgrade other than just games.
October 29, 2007 5:30:38 AM

I dont understnad why so many people dislike vista. Sure it doesnt perform as well as xp but it looks slightly more nice (to be honest it doesnt look that good but it is a bit better than xp) and has some other pretty cool features.. dx10 of course which in my opinion makes it worth the upgrade by itself. The performance drain is minimal and in games it isnt a massive difference only a few fps.

*the poll doesnt work btw

a c 360 U Graphics card
October 29, 2007 5:42:16 AM

Well for me that would mean that I would be spending around $300 for Vista Ultimate (Retail) for each of my PC with no real benefits over Windows XP Pro.

Ooooh, DX10. Yeah, so what? What else am I getting to justify the cost of upgrading?
October 29, 2007 6:50:39 AM

I dont see anything wrong with vista... remember when XP was crappy for the first few years it was out.. just going to be just like that one with vista.. just give it some time.
October 29, 2007 7:41:17 AM

jaguarskx said:
Well for me that would mean that I would be spending around $300 for Vista Ultimate (Retail) for each of my PC with no real benefits over Windows XP Pro.

Ooooh, DX10. Yeah, so what? What else am I getting to justify the cost of upgrading?

by $300 you mean $1 for a dvd right?
October 29, 2007 8:07:09 AM

when the 10.1 dx or better serves well.

beside XP its simpler
October 29, 2007 11:27:31 AM

badge said:
Beats me why computer savy people hate Vista. I would never go back to XP.

i agree with you. i will never use xp on any of my computer or computers again. vista is a good os. better then xp. is runs fast and awesome on my rig
October 29, 2007 1:09:15 PM

systemlord said:
The only reason for me to upgrade to Vista is gaming with DX10 games, thats it.

Same same. Just have a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate for free, but never consider using it until one day I need to play DirectX 10 game. Windows Vista is fancy, but I just have to slow down for every task because of it's inefficiency. Never use for work unless I have to, it just slow down everything.
October 31, 2007 12:03:14 AM

thank god someone feels me... I heart linux... if only people would realize how EASY it can be... it would be GREAT! besides, I don't remember reading about any "windows" release being a top product in a highly regarded consumer periodical (this is the part where a dude with his nose up bill gates butt pulls his brown nose out and does some searching as a sad rebuttal) haha

ps: good games for linux... Astromenace, neverwinter nights, half life 2, quake 3, et wolfenstien, et quake wars, savage, savage 2, etc. etc. and those are all native (and yes it is possible to run WOW on linux) :-p
October 31, 2007 3:59:51 AM

It will take a big difference in graphics quality for me to go Vista and right now there isn't a big difference in the graphics to even go there. Also there a more than a slight difference in Vista's DX9.
!