prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I am planning to build a PC in the next few months and will be buying a Penryn or Conroe processor depending on the prices. If I do get an Intel G35 mobo, will it support a Nehalem processor, or will that require a new chipset?

pjumpleby

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
apparently they are changing the socket to a Socket B (LGA 1336), as they are introducing the Quick Path Interconect. probably also will be DDR3. so no conroe or penryn CPU will be supported unless they produce Socket B Versions.

No Nehalem will not be useable on any chipset as it will be including a memory controller onboard. Therefor it wouldn't need the Northbridge.

But either way it will probably be fast as crap. I can't wait until those come out. And 32nm will increase performance, reduce leakage and heat output. It will also include Intels second generation high-k metal gate technology. I believe that Nehalem will be one of the most innovative processors to date.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
There are still rumours of there being 2 different desktop Nehalem's in which one will have IMC and one will not. however, i find this hard to believe

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Indeed...There wouldn't be much sense to make two versions just so they have more motherboard support. If there are large performance gains such as to the C2D movement....People will pay for a new board. Overall is just means more money for intel.

It sucks though considering x38 just came out....and another chipset in the next few months (x48)...But what can you do?..

Jaguar: I wouldn't wait...It'll be a little more then a year. Expect Nehalem Late q4...As always extreme edition first probably. Followed by the mainstream models a couple months afterwards.

Kamrooz stated it just as it is. I was going to wait for Penryn but decided I was tired of waiting and got a Conroe Q600 but my mobo will support a Penryn (P5K-E/P35) So I might upgrade my CPU when the mainstreem Penryns come out.

The Penryns will have a Quad core Q95xx or something that will be $266 dollars which will be a bargain. But I might wait for the 32nm versions instead.

Only thing Kamrooz I have been reading that the first stage of the Nehalem is slated for Q2 08 and then the second stage which will be the 32nm should be Q4 08 or Q1 09. At least thats what I have heard.

I'll make my decision when (if) Intel releases preliminary benchmark for Nehalem. Very early last year I was gonna build my PC around the Athlon X2 64, but after seeing the preliminary benchmarks for Conroe, I decided to wait and built my current system around the E6600.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Indeed ^_^..Smart choice. Considering you have a e6600 you should be fine. I can't wait any longer since I'm still on a god dang 3.2 prescott...It's laughable..

I'm going to take the plunge when penryn comes out. going to nab a their middle ranged quad core at 2.66 ghz..It was around $315 I think? Since I encode the new SSE instruction set will help out. Considering the LARGE jump for encoding performance from the current processors to penryn will be quite vast. So I may as well wait out. This at least gives time for x38 to mature and hopefully x48 to be released. As well as time for amd to release phenom and the new cards from nvidia/ati to be released. Hopefully with some words as well for a new high end...choices choices...

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I agree...Having spare rigs is very nice. I was planning to put together a very low power rig with one hard drive as a downloading pc for overnight usage. But considering that I'll probably switch to nehalem as well when it comes out..I'll just swap my x38 and penryn cpu for nehalem and use the x38/peryn combo for an overnight dl and 24/7 encoding rig. Should get more use out of it that way.

I actually have two old rigs still running. One Dual AMD MP 1800 workstation with 1.5 gigs of ram. As well as a p3 933 rig which has 512 megs of ram. I'm a bit worried though..When I power on the Dual AMD MP rig now I being to smell a burning essence coming from the rig. So I quickly power it off. To lazy to take the sucker apart and re-apply the heatsinks to look into it. But it's odd considering the rig was working fine for 24/7 encodes before...But now all of a sudden it's giving off a burning scent..>_<..

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

This is a fairly accurate statement - the server variants will release with an IMC, the desktop parts, with the exception of the EE's I believe, will *not* have an IMC....that may change, who knows, but that's the last info I read....